Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » Race Radios - Off Season Care?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Race Radios - Off Season Care?
Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What's the proper care for my Motorola SP50's for the winter?
Is it best to leave them in the chargers or unplug and recharge once a month or so?

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

ctkellett Verified Driver
http://www.syncspeedinc.com

Region: Phila
Car #: 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ctkellett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hi John,

If you have NiCad's on there, which I am pretty sure that you do, you do not want to recharge them without discharging them first. They will lose some charge sitting static but I would put them on the radio and leave it on for a few hours before I recharged them, they are pretty easy to read with a meter to see what voltage they are putting out before recharging them.

--------------------
All the best,

Chris

Sync Speed, Inc.

Racing Communications
(610) 659- 1033
syncspeedinc@mac.com

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I heard it's a good idea to leave the batteries separate from the radios. Any truth to that rumor?

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for ctkellett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well, in theory the radio should have zero power draw when turned off but it would not hurt anything to take them off as a precaution for winter storage. Most people who have charged batteries that go dead after a month or so of storage are really just dealing with a battery that is likely at the end of it's charge cycle life. The life of a radio battery that is used for club racing is a tough one as it is rarely discharge completely (are properly) and it sits for long periods without usage, upgrading away from NiCad batteries to Lithium or NiMH helps a lot with some of these issues but there are not a ton of options for some of the older style radios.

--------------------
All the best,

Chris

Sync Speed, Inc.

Racing Communications
(610) 659- 1033
syncspeedinc@mac.com

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've taken mine out of the car and stored them in the house for four years now. I've always charged them fully before storage and (knock on wood) have never had issues.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So, if I remember my Nicad etiquette, I should pull the radios from the charger, let then naturally discharge for a few weeks, turn them on for a few hours to reach full discharge, then recharge and then start the process over again?

I remember reading somewhere that if you let the batteries discharge too low for too long that the cells can reverse polarity and you can damage the pack.

Given the age of these chargers I was worried about how "smart" they really are and the potential for overcharging if I left them in the chargers all winter.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

John,

Your memory is sound on both counts with this one. You are more likely to do harm leaving them on a charger all winter than if you did as you suggest in the paragraph before.

--------------------
All the best,

Chris

Sync Speed, Inc.

Racing Communications
(610) 659- 1033
syncspeedinc@mac.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: