Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » Donor car question -

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Donor car question -
W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Opportunity to pick up another 1.6 - Looking at a low mileage '92 with hardtop in very good condition for my son.

Does anyone have any idea as to the approximate value of all those "throwaways" such as stock seats, steering wheel, a/c, wheels, etc which I would like to yank and put on craigslist. Everything is in excellent condition. Some kind of ballpark figure would be nice from someone who has done the same thing. [help] Please!

Thanks -

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bill,
Unless you want to spend a lot of time selling that stuff off, there is no market for it unless it's in pristine condition or leather. About once a month I see someone else selling off all the interior parts that are indicative of someone builing a race car. The people who just part the cars out have a ton of stuff too. I've come to the point where my next run to the dump I'm probably going to get rid of my AC system, PS system, most of the interior trim, I already got rid of the seats...

Most of it doesn't die so people aren't looking for replacements. If you happen to have a window regulator die, people will probably cut each other's throats to sell you the one they have. I think Pat and Greg made some good money fixing up a crunched Miata or two but got out of the business of parting out Miatas in Pat's garage for along those lines.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've got a shed full of stock miata take-offs that I keep saying I'm going to put on craigslist with the asking price being a case of Shiner Bock.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Chris Taylor

Region: LSR
Car #: Yours?
Year : will race 4 food
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Taylor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I keep hearing about people selling the stuff for peanuts but I still manage to, like the pig farmer, sell everything but the squeal. It might take a while, but I've sold off every last part and piece from at least 3 cars, and am getting very near selling of all the pieces from the remaining 6.

Exceptions obviously for the mangled parts of tubs (although I can sell the straight sills and quarters and windshield frames) and burned stuff from fire cars.

--------------------
http://www.taylorrotorsports.com

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Same here, I've sold everything I've advertised for the Miata, including AC system, softop, heavy flywheel, etc. Most of it very quickly.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

JIM DANIELS

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It does sell and can be a hassle too. If you have space and time, id try to get some change for the race fund.

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ditto, I've had very good fortune with my local craigslist. -D

JST #16 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Detroit
Car #: GLD. # 16
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JST #16     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm not sure you can sell them on e-bay anymore, but I sold the air bags from my '94 and made almost half what I paid for the donor car.

--------------------
Jeff Thompson
SM #16 - Detroit Region
Great Lake Division

W. Bonsell

Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the positive feedback. Will be a spring/summer project for my son. I remember reading somewhere that if you had the VIN # you could find out what the donor car had as options (such as limited slip), etc. Is there such a resource. This is a '92 with 67K and a hardtop. Very good condition for 2500.

Thanks,
Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I put my last donor take off's on Craigs list and sold most of it in a few days. The AC and PS stuff is slow to move unles you happen to get lucky. The seats are especially hot items for British car restorers.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Try the Miata.Net guys site for info on VIN's

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

W. Bonsell

Just picking up a '91 donor with hardtop and 80K miles..2nd owner. Vin is JM1NA3519M1234515 Can anyone tell me based on the V#, what this car car came with - LTD slip, etc. Or can I be directed to a website for this info. Thanks....

Happy New Year!

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Call Mazdaspeed they will help you

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bill, there are a few local guys thinking of selling or renting their already-built SMs this year, so you could likely save a lot of money going that route unless you're set on building your own car.

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You can call Mazda when they reopen after the holidays OR, do some research on Miata.net. You can usually determine which option package the car came with, based on what it has. i.e. if it has p/s it is an "A" package and that also came with.........

dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
Bill,
I've come to the point where my next run to the dump I'm probably going to get rid of most of the interior trim, I already got rid of the seats...

A contraire ... The seats sell like hotcakes for English car restorers (if theyr'e in good shape).
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: