Spec Miata Community
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
  
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » In-Car 1.6 vs 99 ARRC Video (Page 1)

 - Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 
 
Author Topic: In-Car 1.6 vs 99 ARRC Video
jatterbu Verified Driver
Member

SMIM: AIM: advanwrx86
Posts: 195
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jatterbu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey guys, I thought that I would share this in-car video with all of you so can see how the 2 cars compare at Road Atlanta. I still think that the 2 cars are almost dead even, however the 99 leading the way on a straight is tough to overcome if you are in a 1.6. There is a lap or two where I get a great run going onto the back straight where I can suck up behind Mark Pombo, but its not easy! I just wanted to say thanks to Mark Pombo for racing me clean this race, I had a ton of fun!


http://vimeo.com/7567844

--------------------
Joey
Car #69
White and Red
http://www.joeyatterbury.com

JIM DANIELS
Guest


Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yup, very equal, nice post [Razz]

Any other 1.6s care to share, don't have to be the ARRC, will be a fun exercise on parity.

OR maybe some 99s, care to share any 1.6 following?

Steve D. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Once you get past the gag reflex, the jelly ain't bad!

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 30
Year : 1999
Posts: 652
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve D.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by jatterbu:
[QB] ... can see how the 2 cars compare at Road Atlanta....

You are wicked fast! I've never had to shift at the end of the Turn 5 exit gators in my 1.6.
[Eek!]

Danny Steyn Verified Driver
Member

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Posts: 835
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the video Joey
as Steve says - awesome driving.

I will tell you as someone with a few laps at RA, that car is wicked fast - shift points are incredibly early, and the anility to run T7 and get great exit speed in 3rdbgear in a 1.6 is almost unheard of, let alone catch a Pombo 99 before the Mazda bridge, and bump SEVERAL times coming into 10A - WOW!!! Yeah I know he gets a bad exit and lap 2 of the video is more realistic, but nevertheless - T7 in 3rd in a 1.6 WOW - I remember when Lamb and I were defending running third in the 99's through T7 and others were saying that 2nd would be better (not the case) but no-onw eould ever have predicted that a 1.6 motor could be so strong to pull 3rd through T7.

Being able to hit 5th under the start finish bridge - Unbeleivable!

And having to soft pedal behind Pombo anywhere at RA means that you have one strong car!!!

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Danny Steyn Verified Driver
Member

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Posts: 835
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Actally from the video I would say the 1.6 is the overdog!!!!! [duck] [Eek!]

All kidding aside - friggin awesome driving Joey!!!

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

guest driver
Member

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Posts: 488
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

+ 1 what mr boerboel said above, no doubt mr joey sure can drive ...
crisp turn ins and carries incredible speed through the turns.
also +10 on the "strong car" comment, by far the absolute strongest 1.6 i have ever seen ...
builds revs and pulls like a M/F ...
5th by the starter stand just past the bridge ??
5th just past T-8, 250' before the flagggers stand at T-9 ?? ya gotta be kidding ...
if thats a Bobby T, i want one of those,
that car coulda/woulda won at the Runoffs !!
remember, the guy in the silver '99 he was following was the fastest guy at the RunOffs, an accredited Master at Road Atlanta ....
Why you post that video and mess up my notion that the 1.6 has no business up front at Rd Atl ??

Mitch Reading Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: 65
Year : 1991
Posts: 884
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Reading     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Calling Brian Cates...

--------------------
http://www.mitchum.ms

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Posts: 519
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That's friggin amazing.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Posts: 836
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Awesome.... nothing else needs to be said.

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

Brian Ghidinelli Verified Driver
Moonwalker

Region: SFR
Car #: 12
Year : 99
Posts: 267
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Joey - nice driving and good recovery from the spin.
Hope you'll come down to SFR events this season - will be fun to race!

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Posts: 1495
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Nice run. 1.6 looks strong!

Pat

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Posts: 4275
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I deleted posts two or three times this AM as I didn't want to get into this debate. ... But as I said after the race... If that 1.6 wasn't fairly matched, not sure which would be? Maybe Joeys personal car that is what did you say, plus 2 or 3 hp? [duck]
For reference... My weak 99 and Todd Lambs weak 99 seemed to draft up to the same silver car about the same as that poor little 1.6 car [Wink] Check out Runoffs video for comparison.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Posts: 4275
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Teamfour:
That's friggin amazing.

With all due respect to Joey...What was truly amazing was the guy that led flag to flag. He never slipped, slid or spun, actually never put a wheel wrong the entire race! It was truly one of the best drives I have ever seen in SM. Congrats again Cliff!
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Posts: 788
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thats B*ll S*it!! You all can say what you want but there is no way that a 1.6 is going to be that strong legally. No offense to Joey who can obviously wheel the car but that is nonsense. 3rd through T7 and 5th at the exit of 12 in a 1.6 just does not add up. Hell on the lap where you are passing Lucy in turn 7 you hit the rev limiter in 2nd and still shift into 5th way before any other 1.6 with a promotor.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Posts: 3727
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

And that 1.6 is not the fastest 1.6 I have to regularly race against.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Posts: 2262
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Tucker:
Thats B*ll S*it!! You all can say what you want but there is no way that a 1.6 is going to be that strong legally. No offense to Joey who can obviously wheel the car but that is nonsense. 3rd through T7 and 5th at the exit of 12 in a 1.6 just does not add up.

Are you standing on the chair shouting again? [Big Grin] [burst]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Posts: 788
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Clements:
quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Tucker:
Thats B*ll S*it!! You all can say what you want but there is no way that a 1.6 is going to be that strong legally. No offense to Joey who can obviously wheel the car but that is nonsense. 3rd through T7 and 5th at the exit of 12 in a 1.6 just does not add up.

Are you standing on the chair shouting again? [Big Grin] [burst]
Hell i'm on a ladder and still only 5'. What part of the world are you in? I hear you will be in Sebring; it should be fun.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

B(Kuch) Kucera 45 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NeOh
Car #: 45
Year : 1991
Posts: 858
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B(Kuch) Kucera 45   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

All I can say is HOLY C@#$ that motor is strong.I only watched 2 to 3 min of it and can't believe how fast the rpm climbs and how much torque it has coming out of the corners.I don't know what turn it is but your coming out in third gear and man does it pull!

Is the car legal (aluminum flywheel) [scratchchin] and if it is who is doing your motor?

But I will give you one thing,you sure are working the car!Looks like some of my in car video! [Big Grin]

Great Drive! [thumbsup]

--------------------
Bob
!KUCH!

"All my drinking buddies have a racing problem"

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Posts: 788
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mike C:
And that 1.6 is not the fastest 1.6 I have to regularly race against.

Mike do you need help writing a protest form? I am sure that there will be plenty of defenders of that car but the sounds, shift points, and acceleration do not add up.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

jatterbu Verified Driver
Member

SMIM: AIM: advanwrx86
Posts: 195
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jatterbu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for all the compliments on the driving guys! I love all the guys crying that the 1.6 can never legally be this fast, come out to the West coast and especially the NW. Any one of those front 1.6 cars can hang legally with the car that I raced at the ARRC.

--------------------
Joey
Car #69
White and Red
http://www.joeyatterbury.com

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Posts: 788
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by jatterbu:
Thanks for all the compliments on the driving guys! I love all the guys crying that the 1.6 can never legally be this fast, come out to the West coast and especially the NW. Any one of those front 1.6 cars can hang legally with the car that I raced at the ARRC.

Joey like I said you are one hell of a driver there is no doubt about that but that car is another issue. I have raced at RA in a 1.6 and 99 and I think it is impossible for a legal car to take the inside line in 7, hit the rev limiter in 2nd, not be in a draft and still hit 5th way before the flag stand on the back stretch. I am sure we can agree to disagree until we are at the same event again and I can put my money where my mouth is [Wink]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Posts: 519
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
quote:
Originally posted by Teamfour:
That's friggin amazing.

With all due respect to Joey...What was truly amazing was the guy that led flag to flag. He never slipped, slid or spun, actually never put a wheel wrong the entire race! It was truly one of the best drives I have ever seen in SM. Congrats again Cliff!
Jim

No disrespect aimed at Cliff. I never saw an in-car video of his run. As a 1.6 driver, I just found Joey's run awesome. I will say my first thought was that the gearing had been changed.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Posts: 788
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Teamfour:
quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
quote:
Originally posted by Teamfour:
That's friggin amazing.

With all due respect to Joey...What was truly amazing was the guy that led flag to flag. He never slipped, slid or spun, actually never put a wheel wrong the entire race! It was truly one of the best drives I have ever seen in SM. Congrats again Cliff!
Jim

No disrespect aimed at Cliff. I never saw an in-car video of his run. As a 1.6 driver, I just found Joey's run awesome. I will say my first thought was that the gearing had been changed.
That is my belief as well!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Posts: 680
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I saw a trackmate in the video. Maybe the data can be shared too.

I gotta say though, quite a wheel man!

--------------------
James York


sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA
powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN
set up guru:
Gilfus Racing, Austin TX

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Posts: 4275
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am looking at T3 and down to the esses, the car carries third to about the same spot as I carry third in my 99, cars have same ratio. Other times he does appear to be shifting early and car was definitely fast.
I don't think the car had alternate gears, but that is why we have a protest system, car is probably sitting at Summit point and sure Brian what let anyone who wanted to look at it look at it. Didn't we have this debate last year after the ARRC as well? [Big Grin] I also can't imagine a scenario where someone would post a video knowing the had illegal gears in the car? But thats just me. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Posts: 2947
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I saw him pulling a LS3 out of that car in Late Nov. at Summit Point.. Just sayin'.....

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

guest driver
Member

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Posts: 488
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

^^ somebody is getting warmer ...
Jamie has the diplomacy of a Viking battle axe

[Smile]
rear end is not where you want to put your money,
LISTEN to the motor, the ears do not lie.
repeat : That IS the strongest 1.6 i have ever seen ... er, heard.
C'mon guys, who we be foolin.
the kid can drive, no question, but shows his inexperience by posting a video shot from a camera located behind the driver, with audio ...
what concerns me as a racer lookin to get back in SM?
he (and others posting here) consider that motor to be 'normal', not the strongest, other 1.6's much faster ... ya gotta be kidding me, short shiftin, backpedalling and STILL runnin all over the Doc in his smokin '99, at Rd Atl ??
either i am clueless or sumtin not right here ...


[scratchchin]

JIM DANIELS
Guest


Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Those opposite wheel corrections tells the story, talent!

Much like this guy, you have to want it!

 -

Brian Cates
Member

Region: Washington, DC
Posts: 231
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Cates   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Truely amazing to see some of the posts that pop up. Thanks Joey for posting this as I think it really shows just how close the different model cars are. I agree 100% with Joey's summary. I think it clearly shows a 1.6 can run with a 99 but once that 99 gets ahead it's almost impossible to get back around unless the lead car makes a mistake.

For those that don't know, the 1.6 Joey was driving belongs to the Cates family and my son, Devin has been driving that car for the past 3 seasons. Yes, Joey was wheeling the car pretty well, no surprise to me as I saw what he was capable of doing this past season in the VW TDI Cup. He can drive!

We also own a very strong Drago 99 that Devin drove at the ARRC and it had the 4th fastest time in the race. Devin has the option of running the 1.6 or the 99 and at Summit Point he typically chooses the 1.6. Devin ran quicker in qualifying than the exsiting track record on several occasions this past year so yes the 1.6 car is fast.

We bought that car from Mat Pombo back when Devin first started SCCA club racing. Guys there is nothing illegal at all with that car, just a well preparred 1.6 with a strong Race Engineering, Bob Thornton motor. That engine was rebuilt to NASA rules at the beginning of 2008 and Devin ran that car at the NASA run offs at Mid Ohio.

Bret Depedro of RP Performance has maintained the car the car for the past 2 seasons. In 2009 we ran a partial schedule due to Devin's TDI CUP program and the only thing we did to that car this year was change the oil, pads and rotors and check leakdown prior to the ARRC. Bret ran it on the dyno before the ARRC and it made 109 HP at 64000 RPM and max TQ of 99 Ft'lbs at 5400 RPM om a Dyno Dynamics Dyno and using pump gas.

Those are good numbers but nothing spectacular for a 1.6. Ask Bret and I am sure he will tell you he has seen much higher. Or you can ask Mike Collins. (I also have the dyno sheets available)

Now what we did do for the ARRC is run ERC race fuel that was SCCA legal. We also richened the A/F ratio. I figure about another 4hp over what we dynoed.

The transmission is a bone stock Mazda Crate tranny that Bret installed. No fancy gears, no treatments, polishing, etc, just exactly what anyone can buy from Mazda.

The comments about shift points are quite commical. Jamie, not sure what your problem is but you seem to be clearly stating that the car is illegal. You might want to go back and study your dyno charts a little better and learn where to shift. Max torque is at roughly 5400 RPM's, but at 5000 RPM's it's only 1 Ft'lb off. At 4800 RPM, it's only 2 ft. lbs. off. Bottom line is there is absolutely no reason at all to go to 2nd gear at T7 and yes you should be shifting into 5th at the exit onto the pit straight at Atlanta when track conditions are ideal, 40 degrees outside air temp, you are running race fuel and you are 2 feet off the bumper of another car. Sure if it's the middle of the summer, no race fuel and no draft, you will be shifting much further down the straight becasue the car won't have the same power, or speed. But remember, that video shows track record conditions and SM was not the only class to break records that weekend.

There are many SM drivers that way over rev these engines. It might sound like it's faster but it's pretty clear from the dyno charts where the power band is. At 6800 RPM the torque is down 17 ft' lbs and the HP is down 2-1/2. As long as you can keep the engine above 4800 RPM after you shift you are in the sweet spot for the max power.

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Posts: 2359
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jeez guys take a pill [Smile] it's just fast hands Joey... He grew up in the same regions Andrew did and it shows. You can't beat learning to drive where instead of using umbrellas for the rain, we use them for the sun [Smile]

I see a strong 1.6 that runs great behind a strong 99 [Big Grin] Thnks for the vid Joey.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

JimEli Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member

Region: NWR
Car #: 5
Year : 1991
Posts: 252
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JimEli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ain't nobody in the NW surprised by Joey’s video. Excepting that spin [Wink] Watching Joey close on the ’99 through T1 is pure magic.

--------------------
UPR.com
Team LemonLappers

Mitch Reading Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: 65
Year : 1991
Posts: 884
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Reading     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Brian, appreciate the insight.

Way to wheel Joey, good luck to you and Devin in 2010.

--------------------
http://www.mitchum.ms

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Posts: 788
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Cates:
Truely amazing to see some of the posts that pop up. Thanks Joey for posting this as I think it really shows just how close the different model cars are. I agree 100% with Joey's summary. I think it clearly shows a 1.6 can run with a 99 but once that 99 gets ahead it's almost impossible to get back around unless the lead car makes a mistake. For those that don't know, the 1.6 Joey was driving belongs to the Cates family and my son, Devin has been driving that car for the past 3 seasons. Yes, Joey was wheeling the car pretty well, no surprise to me as I saw what he was capable of doing this past season in the VW TDI Cup. He can drive!

We also own a very strong Drago 99 that Devin drove at the ARRC and it had the 4th fastest time in the race. Devin has the option of running the 1.6 or the 99 and at Summit Point he typically chooses the 1.6. Devin ran quicker in qualifying than the exsiting track record on several occasions this past year so yes the 1.6 car is fast.

We bought that car from Mat Pombo back when Devin first started SCCA club racing. Guys there is nothing illegal at all with that car, just a well preparred 1.6 with a strong Race Engineering, Bob Thornton motor. That engine was rebuilt to NASA rules at the beginning of 2008 and Devin ran that car at the NASA run offs at Mid Ohio.

Bret Depedro of RP Performance has maintained the car the car for the past 2 seasons. In 2009 we ran a partial schedule due to Devin's TDI CUP program and the only thing we did to that car this year was change the oil, pads and rotors and check leakdown prior to the ARRC. Bret ran it on the dyno before the ARRC and it made 109 HP at 64000 RPM and max TQ of 99 Ft'lbs at 5400 RPM om a Dyno Dynamics Dyno and using pump gas.

Those are good numbers but nothing spectacular for a 1.6. Ask Bret and I am sure he will tell you he has seen much higher. Or you can ask Mike Collins. (I also have the dyno sheets available)

Now what we did do for the ARRC is run ERC race fuel that was SCCA legal. We also richened the A/F ratio. I figure about another 4hp over what we dynoed.

The transmission is a bone stock Mazda Crate tranny that Bret installed. No fancy gears, no treatments, polishing, etc, just exactly what anyone can buy from Mazda.

The comments about shift points are quite commical. Jamie, not sure what your problem is but you seem to be clearly stating that the car is illegal. You might want to go back and study your dyno charts a little better and learn where to shift. Max torque is at roughly 5400 RPM's, but at 5000 RPM's it's only 1 Ft'lb off. At 4800 RPM, it's only 2 ft. lbs. off. Bottom line is there is absolutely no reason at all to go to 2nd gear at T7 and yes you should be shifting into 5th at the exit onto the pit straight at Atlanta when track conditions are ideal, 40 degrees outside air temp, you are running race fuel and you are 2 feet off the bumper of another car. Sure if it's the middle of the summer, no race fuel and no draft, you will be shifting much further down the straight becasue the car won't have the same power, or speed. But remember, that video shows track record conditions and SM was not the only class to break records that weekend.

There are many SM drivers that way over rev these engines. It might sound like it's faster but it's pretty clear from the dyno charts where the power band is. At 6800 RPM the torque is down 17 ft' lbs and the HP is down 2-1/2. As long as you can keep the engine above 4800 RPM after you shift you are in the sweet spot for the max power.

And you might want to go back and learn something about transmission mulitplication. It is simple math. Torque at the rear wheels will always be lower in the next higher gear with a stock Miata gear/ratio. You assertion of a sweet spot is a fabile although there are people that believe it. My contention is not that he might be illegal; it is straight up that he was. Can I prove it on specmiata.com; no but I don't have to either. I have talked to many people who have watched this video and they have come to the same conclusion. I'm not one to shy away from my words and I certainly won't this time. I have no axe to grind against you or anybody you deal with I only see a car that I strongly believe to be illegal. You say otherwise! No problem as Jim said that is why we are allowed to protest. As anybody that knows me will tell you, I call it like I see it and thats how I see it. If anybody wants the numbers for the multiplication here they are. 3rd gear engine to axel is 5.45.1, 4th gear 4.3.1. If you multiply it out using the above torque drop off your resulting force is as follow; Lets assume 105LBS @5000 and 17 less at 6800 or 88LBS. That gives us a resulting force of 571.3 @5000 rpm and 479.6 @6800 in 3rd gear. In 4th the force is 451.5 @ 5000rpm and 378.4 in 4th. You can continue through all the gears and the result will be the same. There is no reason to short shift a Miata and don't tell me that 1.6 was making 109 + 4 more for fuel!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Kyle Freiheit
Member

Region: NWR
Car #: #78 sorry Terrell
Year : 1992
Posts: 270
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Joey has to drive that fast just to get away from all the Black Helicopters chasing him... [Big Grin]

Nice driving Joey! Wow, next season can't seem to come quick enough.

Kyle

Cliffy Chains
Member

Region: Central FL
Car #: 17
Year : 1991
Posts: 275
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Joey, have never met you yet, but nice driving, quick hands, looks like you had a blast in the 1.6L. I am not accusing you of cheating, maybe you expect a 1.6L with 109HP to pull on a 99' with 125+ in 5th gear.

But now time for reality check Joey: They Don't

After watching the video, It took me 20 minutes to stop laughing to write this. The 1.6L can barely pull a kite on a windy day in 5th and thats a top level 119-120hp 1.6L. [rolling on floor laughin]

1st. Your car is a 109hp like Obama and Bush are twin brothers. [laughing]

2nd. That is by far the fastest 1.6L I have seen in the SM class, legal, illegal, race fuel, or rocket fuel powered.. [Eek!]

3rd. Your obviously a good driver, my 1 hope is that that 109hp short shifting, down on power, not the best 1.6L you have, makes it way down to Florida in Jan. This way you can show off that short shifting technique once again. [Big Grin]

And that is my [twocents]

--------------------
BDR Motorsports, Autotechnik
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

jatterbu Verified Driver
Member

SMIM: AIM: advanwrx86
Posts: 195
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jatterbu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm just still laughing at this thread, I find it more and more amusing every time I look at it! I guess NOT winning a race and finishing in 3rd place must make the car illegal. I got my lap record tucked up behind a 99, Cliff Brown did a lap that was .07 off of me with NO draft. Just goes to show you, if you break records you HAVE to be cheating I guess...

--------------------
Joey
Car #69
White and Red
http://www.joeyatterbury.com

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Posts: 788
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by jatterbu:
I'm just still laughing at this thread, I find it more and more amusing every time I look at it! I guess NOT winning a race and finishing in 3rd place must make the car illegal. I got my lap record tucked up behind a 99, Cliff Brown did a lap that was .07 off of me with NO draft. Just goes to show you, if you break records you HAVE to be cheating I guess...

Thats not the point! You would not have run the lap times that you did if you were not in that 1.6 and therefore you beat others that you should not have. We all have fast 1.6s and 99s and have raced at RA on more than one occasion. It's not as if we have no idea what's going on or have our own videos to compare it with.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

jatterbu Verified Driver
Member

SMIM: AIM: advanwrx86
Posts: 195
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jatterbu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well maybe you should let me drive your car [Wink]

--------------------
Joey
Car #69
White and Red
http://www.joeyatterbury.com

Cliffy Chains
Member

Region: Central FL
Car #: 17
Year : 1991
Posts: 275
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

done!!!! You have a deal

Run the best time you can in your car, I will mine as well, Then we'll switch, you can show me how its done, be careful though I have a few more than 109hp.

Any damage done I will pay for , or vice versa.

We'll do it for $1000.00 for the rental fee of each others car.

Where ya wanna do it at in Jan. Sebring or Homestead???????

--------------------
BDR Motorsports, Autotechnik
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Posts: 2262
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Shake it off! But, the one question I have is - did you say that car was handling well?

If so, I must be driving a Cadillac. [Wink]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Cliffy Chains
Member

Region: Central FL
Car #: 17
Year : 1991
Posts: 275
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Clements:
If so, I must be driving a Cadillac. [Wink]

I've sat in your car, its no Cadillac :-)

More like one of those Texas 4x4's

--------------------
BDR Motorsports, Autotechnik
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Posts: 2262
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Cliffy Chains:
quote:
Originally posted by Blake Clements:
If so, I must be driving a Cadillac. [Wink]

I've sat in your car, its no Cadillac :-)

More like one of those Texas 4x4's

You could have used it to get out of that sand pit at 10B. [Eek!] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Cliffy Chains
Member

Region: Central FL
Car #: 17
Year : 1991
Posts: 275
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

damn, did every one see me??? I thought you guys were racin...

--------------------
BDR Motorsports, Autotechnik
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

JIM DANIELS
Guest


Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I did race against one dull black car back in 2004 that pulled like that in 5th.

Anyone can hop in my car so long as they bring their own ballast, no more Chip Herr snookering for me.....

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Posts: 4253
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For what it's worth, in my experience, 113HP on a dyno dynamics is probably around 120-121HP on a Dynojet. I hope that makes people feel better.

I saw a car that was setup very well for the style of driving, notice how early he's able to turn-in and get on the throttle and he can still pinch the exit inside the 99 to try to get around. The 1.6 made that 99 look like a FWD IT car.

Brian Cates, do you have a shift point calculator spreadsheet too? [Smile]

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Posts: 788
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by jatterbu:
Well maybe you should let me drive your car [Wink]

I'm with you on that! I even have a shift light but don't worry its not broke; it just takes longer to come on than yours does. [Wink] Same deal as Cliff. You show up with that car and me, you, and Cliff can switch as many times as you wish. All of our cars have video and traqmate so it would be lots of fun. We can then compare all of the data and share it right here for everybody to see.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Posts: 788
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by JIM DANIELS:
I did race against one dull black car back in 2004 that pulled like that in 5th.

Anyone can hop in my car so long as they bring their own ballast, no more Chip Herr snookering for me.....

And thats a different story all its own!!!! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

jatterbu Verified Driver
Member

SMIM: AIM: advanwrx86
Posts: 195
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jatterbu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Haha guys, it's a joke. Besides I live in Seattle and flew down to race in this with some friends Devin Cates and Mark Pombo. I'm glad we are all fast enough to stir up controversey!

--------------------
Joey
Car #69
White and Red
http://www.joeyatterbury.com

Cliffy Chains
Member

Region: Central FL
Car #: 17
Year : 1991
Posts: 275
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I wasn't jokin, huckleberry?

Jamie and Joey can switch no problem,

I just need a BIG boy seat..It's not fat, just undeveloped muscle ... [fight]

--------------------
BDR Motorsports, Autotechnik
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Posts: 3336
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm sure Joey's going to be stressing about what y'all think of that 1.6 when he's piloting a shiny new Riley Camaro for TC Motorsports in Grand Am next year. [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

 
Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 
 

   Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: