Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » Any clever ways of raising the SM to clear trailer wheel well?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Any clever ways of raising the SM to clear trailer wheel well?
rhart Verified Driver
Psycho Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 53
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for rhart     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Once car is pulled into the trailer it's a bitch to get out of. If it sat 3" higher the door would clear the wheel well. Anyone out there have a clever solution in play?

Chris Haldeman

Region: texas
Car #: 71,72
Year : 1990,1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Haldeman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i pull my car on to piece of wood then get out roll the car off the wood and tie it down.

Juan Pineda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 34
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Try getting out of your car when you pull it into an enclosed trailer. It helps to keep up with your yoga. [Smile]

I've seen trailers with removable fenders for exactly this reason. Can you unbolt yours?

-Juan

--------------------
www.ArtOfRoadRacing.com Race Craft Clinic - Thunderhill - 30 Jan 2011

JIM DANIELS

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

On my Big Tex trailer, I use the wood trick on the drivers side only, a small piece placed short of the tie down spot. Then, just push it forward and grab the wood. Unloading, back it down using a wheel chalk or E-brake until you can get in it, be careful.

Jeremy Pike

Car #: 89
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeremy Pike     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Winch it in.

JACK MARTIN Verified Driver

Region: Wichita
Car #: 30
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JACK MARTIN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Get a winch. It's a lot cheaper than a clutch.

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The ACT rep at PRI told me to get a winch. He told me that more clutches are burned out putting the car on the trailer than on the track!

--------------------
Paul McLester

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 08
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Speaking of winches with these cars being so light you can get a hand crank winch and use good old elbow grease. They are cheap and do the job and rarely if ever break down. I have a boat type winch on my trailer mostly as insurance, but it does help when you have to repo a car with flat tires....Don't ask.

db

Chris Haldeman

Region: texas
Car #: 71,72
Year : 1990,1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Haldeman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by JIM DANIELS:
On my Big Tex trailer, I use the wood trick on the drivers side only, a small piece placed short of the tie down spot. Then, just push it forward and grab the wood. Unloading, back it down using a wheel chalk or E-brake until you can get in it, be careful.

+1 that is exactly my trailer and method

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I actually took two 10' 10x2 pressure treated planks (for both sides of the trailer) and bolted them down to the deck using round head lag bolts. Very secure. I beveled the end of the plank like a little ramp to make it easier for the car to go up onto the planks. It got the car up just high enough to clear the trailer fender. Works great.

BTW, I also use a winch, but there are still plenty of times when I need to open the car door after it is already on the trailer (setting the e-brake, turning off the kills switch that I forgot, etc).

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Car #: 82/73
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Air jack! [Smile]

Just kidding...the others have posted good solutions.

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I bolted two layers of 2X8 to the left tread area only and simply pull the car on. The door clears the fender by about an inch. I painted the wood to match the trailer and applied a non slip "sprinkle". Works great.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

rhart Verified Driver
Psycho Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for rhart     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Qik Nip and TR6...this is the type of input I was looking for. Great ideas. I have a winch but life is short and and winching takes much more time. I don't know why some are burning clutches up you have almost foot on either side. Put it in 1st and drive up!

Next step...try to figure out how to drill a hole in the wood so the wood can be tied down to the E-track. Could be doable with an O-ring poking thru the top of the wood planks so that the plank can be strapped to the floor without bolts.

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by rhart:

Next step...try to figure out how to drill a hole in the wood so the wood can be tied down to the E-track.

I used long 1/4" cariage bolts. They don't protude from the planks surface and I drilled through the steel trailer decking and put the nuts on the bottom side.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

rhart Verified Driver
Psycho Member

Rick
How long did you have to make the bolts? You don't have a Haulmark per chance do you? Did you use a rubber washer or take any precaution for blowby water getting into the hole during rain?
Thanks
Rick

Ralliboy Verified Driver
Rock Star

Region: WDC/ Houston
Car #: 33
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ralliboy   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here's a cheap winch.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91781

--------------------
Randy Ramos

http://WWW.MeatheadRacing.com

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Qik Nip:
quote:
Originally posted by rhart:

Next step...try to figure out how to drill a hole in the wood so the wood can be tied down to the E-track.

I used long 1/4" cariage bolts. They don't protude from the planks surface and I drilled through the steel trailer decking and put the nuts on the bottom side.
Rick

This is exactly what I did. And when you tighten down the carriage bolts, the round head sinks into the plank somewhat so not much is sticking up for the car to run over. And it's a round head anyway.

I wasn't worried about sealing the hole the bolt goes through. Given everything else on the trailer that gets exposes to water, etc, I didn't think it was an issue. Someday, if the planks themselves start getting too weathered looking, I'll throw them away and bolt new planks down.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Chris Taylor

Region: LSR
Car #: Yours?
Year : will race 4 food
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Taylor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Ralliboy:
Here's a cheap winch.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91781

Tractor Supply has an 8,000 pound winch that will actually survive being used. Last time I bought one it was about $300, but you can usually get 10-20% through their mailing list or in-store coupons.

--------------------
http://www.taylorrotorsports.com

EMI

Region: Ark
Icon 1 posted  Profile for EMI     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If it's an enclosed trailer, check into Late Model ramps. Those cars are too wide to fit between the wheel wells. We built a set out of 2x6's and plywood. Easy to open the door and get out if the car. We can lay three sets of tires under the car while traveling, and we can pull the car in the trailer and roll under it on a creeper.

--------------------
Edens Motorsports Inc
Kevin Edens
Sponsor, motorhome driver, chef, and Dad to #26 SM Chris Edens

"Don't eat the track food, it'll kill ya!"

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: