Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » Power Steering or not in a '94

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Power Steering or not in a '94
rhart Verified Driver
Psycho Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 53
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for rhart     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Do most keep it hooked up or deleted? How many HP loss?
Currently no PS and it isn't that bad. Just wondering if there is long term fatigue issues once starting to race it.
TIA

SAE113 Verified Driver

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 01 & 99
Year : '92 & '94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SAE113     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

manual or de-power the ps

--------------------
Steven Elicati
'92 Protege ITA#01
'94 Miata ITA#99

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

NOBODY keeps the P(o)S hooked up. It takes a bit of arm strength to get it in and out of your paddock slot with a depowered rack. Otherwise no worries. Crimp the tubes or put in the plugs. Doesn't really matter but it looks cleaner with the plugs.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Rob Burgoon Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It will just fail and try to catch your engine bay on fire. Ask me how I know [Smile]

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ditto to Rob- on my third race weekend back in ought-three mine went nuclear and my car looked like a meteor going down the front straight trailing smoke.

Luckily Ken Sutherland and the NW/OR boys helped me yank it out of there and I don't think I even missed a session.

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I went with a manual rack. But I am a old and don't want to work that hard in the car.

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

mx5er

Region: cfr
Car #: 81
Year : '00
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mx5er     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What about track days or HPDE? I have a '00 with P/S that I auto-x and want to take it on the track?

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Track days are like racing except that you have shorter sessions and are driving slower. [Smile] A manual rack should be fine. On the other hand, a power rack should be fine too, if that's what you're asking; the slight power drain's a lot less of a concern when you're sharing the track with 400 hp Corvettes as opposed to a gaggle of similarly-powered Miatas.

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You'll be fine with PS but you do get a better feel for what the car is doing without the power assist IMO.

I'm not sure if this is true or not but I thought that with the belt drive, the higher the RPMs, the more boost out of the PS pump which is sort of the opposite of what I'd want.

On the other hand, people drive absolutely anything and everything at autox events and track days. True race cars are sort of overkill at most track days anyway. They'd usually prefer you drive nice pretty lines fast but conservative rather than going balls to the wall.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 08
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I run mine with the PS, but I've had 11 shoulder surgeries on my right shoulder and I can barely shift let alone turn the wheel with the PS. I've not had any issues over the years with it. Does not bother me to much with the so called loss of feel.

db

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: