Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Cages, Advantages

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Cages, Advantages
Alan Russell

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ignoring saftey for the moment, does anyone have any objective information on cage performace? IE, I had a bolt in xxx brand cage and when I went to a weled cage the car behaved this way..

The reason I ask is I see a lot of effort being spent to STIFFEN the car with the cage, and I wonder if it advantageous to have the car be stiffer. In my other racing experiences I found that a softer, flexible chasis works better with harder tires.

Chip Bryan Verified Driver

Region: Florida
Car #: 88/33
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chip Bryan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well, we have super stiff 700lb. springs, so some chassis flex might not be a bad thing. My cages have emphasized safety first, but have also triangulated the rear shock mounts so as to stiffen the car up.

I know my old street/track miata with Racing Beat competition springs and Bilsteins broke the hard top mounts on several occasions, for what that's worth.

I don't know of any valid cage stifness comparison ou there.

I do know you need to be able to climb ou the passenger side when you wind up in a canal at Moroso (see other post)

We still need to hook up so I can help you with your car. I'll probably be working on mine again this weekend...call me.

Chip

--------------------
Chip Bryan

Alan Russell

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Chip Bryan:
We still need to hook up so I can help you with your car. I'll probably be working on mine again this weekend...call me.

Chip

Sure, I can bring a bilge pump if needed <G>.

Have you ever noticed the big crack in the outside wall at turn 2 at moroso? I did it.

Alan

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: