Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Tranny rebuild (sort of)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Tranny rebuild (sort of)
Karl Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
2001 ARRC Winner

Region: SW
Car #: 50
Year : 1600
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Karl   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The tranny in my car came from a '90 and had about 93k on it when I took it apart. I just replaced the 3-4 shift rod end (M507-17-422A) and the spring pin that holds it in place. My car couldn't get into reverse a few months back so I removed the reverse switch, added a second washer and reinstalled. That worked for a few months until it started to do it again. JP told me the shift forks wear on these trannies, so I figured it was time for me to have a look.

I removed the rear housing and found the 3-4 shift rod end (SRE) was badly worn and that the 5-R SRE was scarred where the reverse switch rode up and down over it. Turned out the reverse switch's plunger was extended too far and wobbled in the bore and the rough metal on the SRE wouldn't let it slide up the ramp smoothly (if at all). Anyway, the cleanup on the reverse ramps was easy, but more importantly I was able to see the wear on the 3-4 SRE.

Assembly tip: Remove the plate on the turret and remove the shifter receiver (drive out the spring pin). This will make it MUCH easier to remove the rear housing and make it MUCH MUCH easier to get the shifter arm into the SREs when you are ready to bolt it back together.

In this case I didn't go further into the tranny since there was little or no play in the shift rods. More good news. I inspected my Centerforce clutch and it was in great shape after how many hours???? It probably went in when I installed the crate motor before the 2000 ARRC, and I have the COMP LSD.

Karl Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
2001 ARRC Winner

Region: SW
Car #: 50
Year : 1600
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Karl   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

BTW.....yes I did have a crate motor at one time. It's now in John Youens' car. The price I had to pay for my paint job.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: