Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Reply to "locked" thread

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Reply to "locked" thread
steveracer Verified Driver
Large member

Region: Detroit
Car #: 6
Year : 1990 1.6
Icon 5 posted  Profile for steveracer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Karl, Appreciate the information.

I would like to make sure that I underatand. I am not an engine guru, bud understand basic auto mechanics.

Let me ask anybody in this forum, this run on sentence. If my cams are older, and are worn near the minimum spec, and the wear is only on the top of the lobe, and I have adjusted the cam lifter shims to be near the low side of the adjustment limit, then the cam will have "maximum" lift when valve clearance is minimized, and then will the duration will be longer, due to the minimized valve clearance starting the valve or valves "early"?

Please answer this non offensive, non trolling and non deflamitory question.

--------------------
"To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself"

Albert Einstein

Karl Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
2001 ARRC Winner

Region: SW
Car #: 50
Year : 1600
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Karl   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

...and I have adjusted the cam lifter shims to be near the low side of the adjustment limit...

There is your problem. There are no shims. The HLAs can only be "adjusted" up with longer valves, but the valve lengths are speced in the manual.

Our cams (all cams?) wear most at the top of the lobe. That will not change duration a bit, it will just reduce maximum lift.

FYI, the other topic locked because whoever moved it over here chose that option. They could have copied it here and temporarily left in the other forum and then they could have gone back to the other forum and deleted it there. That would have left it unlocked here.

Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Karl just earned his flashin stars...

Mike

--------------------
Mike
Memphis PC Guy
http://memphispcguy.com
http://www.mazdaracers.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: