Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » fire extinguisher mounting

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: fire extinguisher mounting
Russell Dallas Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 61
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Russell Dallas     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Simply simon question. Any suggestions on mounting the fire extinguisher. I bought a 2lb extinguisher and a metal mounting bracktet from the hw store. The metal bracket does not seem to have a really secure grip on the extinguisher, even though it is 'made' for it. Any input is appreciated.

Russell

Scott Malbon Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Blue Ridge Region (103), SEDiv
Car #: 52
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scott Malbon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Extinguishers from racer supply firms also have a metal strap to keep it secure to the bracket.

Scott

Marc S Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NCR
Car #: 65
Year : '90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Marc S     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Russell, sandwich a piece of bicycle-tube rubber between the bracket and your roll bar, and between the extinguisher and the bracket. Should hold it better.

--------------------
Marc Schatell
Winston-Salem, NC
SEDiv SM #65

Ed Davis Verified Driver

Region: WDCR
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ed Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Russell Dallas:
I bought a 2lb extinguisher and a metal mounting bracktet from the hw store...

[Eek!] Fire Extinguisher from the hardware store? Those things are worse than nothing. It's more likely to come loose and hit you in the head than to help you get out [Eek!]

Russell, Please get at least a small Halon fire system for your car, your family, your friends, and anyone else who might care about you.

This company makes a good one for less than 300 bucks.
Safecraft Link

--------------------
Ed Davis
Blackwater Motorsports

Alan Russell

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just for another opinion. I would never rely on just a fire system. They are one shot deals, and if the fire isn't out, you be screwed.

Also, I don't know that a system is going to make you any safer. The best thing about a system is it's ability to kill a fire in the engine compartment and thereby save the car.

If you elect to go with a system, I would also keep the fire bottle.

I used to buy my firebottles at NAPA, they had them for trucks and such with DOT certified brackets. I think they were about $40.

Ed Davis Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ed Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Russell:
Just for another opinion. I would never rely on just a fire system. They are one shot deals, and if the fire isn't out, you be screwed.

Also, I don't know that a system is going to make you any safer. The best thing about a system is it's ability to kill a fire in the engine compartment and thereby save the car.

If you elect to go with a system, I would also keep the fire bottle.

Alan, You make a good point about the fire system. It's not ment to "put out the fire". It just buys one a few extra secounds to get out of the car. Once, out let it burn as far as I'm concerned but corner workers tend to get there fast with a real fire bottle. I'm certainly not going back for one in the car.

--------------------
Ed Davis
Blackwater Motorsports

Super 7

Region: NER
Car #: None Available
Year : 2000
Icon 9 posted  Profile for Super 7     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Considering the "home" market extinguishers,

When you hit the wall hard, and the car decelerates at 20 or 30 G, what is the chance of the extinguisher turning into a small missle, and how much will it hurt you when it hits you?

Ed Davis Verified Driver

quote:
Originally posted by Super 7:

When you hit the wall hard, and the car decelerates at 20 or 30 G, what is the chance of the extinguisher turning into a small missle, and how much will it hurt you when it hits you?

Exactly to my point. More harm than good and liable to hit you in the head. [Frown]

--------------------
Ed Davis
Blackwater Motorsports

rlfreitas

Region: NER
Car #: 87
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for rlfreitas     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

last year at SP during my annual one of the tech guys made a good point.... he had me sit in the car while he leaned hard against the door and told me to get out as fast as I can thru the window. With a Kirkey seat with the hi sides it is not easy and I am not a big guy by any stretch. I installed a system!!. If you are trying to put out a fire with a 2lb bottle good luck, open up your gas grill and take a look at a lava rock, that is not what you want to become. If thats all you can afford, at least put it somewhere you can reach it, not behind you somewhere that if you take a good shot you wont even remember where it is. One other thing to consider with a fire system, put both nozzles in the cabin, if you get a small engine fire you dont want to get a blast of halon in the face for a little oil fire.

wade Verified Driver

Car #: 18
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wade   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As well as complete fire systems and individual bottles, I/O Port Racing (www.ioportracing.com) sells all metal, dual strap fire extinguisher brackets.

- wade

Alan Russell

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Super 7:

I hit the wall at Moroso (turn 2) at over 100 mph. I moved a 4' x 4' x 16' concrete barrier several feet. I crushed the front of the car. My fire exstingisher did not come undone. Using a DOT approved bracket seems to work fine for me.

Beyond that. Whats the chances of a fire in the cockpit of a SM? We have no fuel lines, no oil lines, or anything else running in the cockpit. For me, I don't see the need for a system in classes where you have fuel cells, oil tanks, and associated lines in the cockpit. But if you want it, you should have it.

In my mind, these are stock cars, with no real modifications. How often do you see Miatas in the street hit somone and burst into flames? My guess is your money is better spent on a better suit than on a fire system if protection is what you want. Also spend money on your cage/steering wheel and seat design to make sure you can get out of the car quickly. In my wreck at moroso I had the belts undone before the car was completely at rest. I was over the wall 10 seconds after the wreck.

Regardless, if you do go with a system, get a bottle too. If somoneone sets off your system accidently, your weekend is over. But if you also have a bottle you can still race.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: