Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » problem with 1.8

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: problem with 1.8
tonylop33 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 33,
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tonylop33   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a 1.8 that is a dog. It was a dog with the original motor and is a dog with a crate motor. It is no faster without the restrictor plate than with it (2 drivers tried it back to back with and without and it made no difference). It does not want to pull hard above 5k rpm. It will go to redline, but it takes forever to climb above 5k. Other 1.8's and 1.6's easily pull me in the higher rpm band. I replaced the coils which were partially melted, the wires, the o2 sensor, the timing belt (checked to make sure it was done right)and all the usual stuff. Something is limiting the motor. Any ideas? I've heard the ECU or Mass Air Flow could be bad. Thoughts?
Thanks
Tony

Kevin Morrison Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: CFR
Car #: 89
Year : 1990
Icon 3 posted  Profile for Kevin Morrison   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My only idea is to install sensors all over the place (EGT, A/F, etc.) and try to figure out what the engine management is doing. There's no way to diagnose a problem without data. You could also try swapping in a known good ECU and air flow meter, one at a time. You should probably keep a couple spares around anyway.

Kevin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: