Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Rebuild Tranny Lock Up

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Rebuild Tranny Lock Up
Little Bill Verified Driver

Region: Colorado
Car #: 03
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Little Bill     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am in the process of rebuilding my 95 year model transmission and have run into a snag.

Everything was going smoothly until it came time to torque the nut that holds the 5th-reverse clutch hub in place. Once tightened above 10 lbs of torque the transmission looses neutral. No gear selected, but transmission acts as if a gear has been selected. Once a gear is selected the tranny locks up, the way it should when reverse and another gear are selected.

In trouble shooting, what I have found is when 1st gear is selected, the trans does not lock, which indicates to me that there is a problem with the assembly at the 1st gear position. However, when I loosen the assembly to check, everything appears normal.

If I tighten the nut just enough to take up the slack in the gear cluster on the main shaft every thing works perfectly. Snug at all beyond that point and the above mentioned condition occurs.
[banghead] [banghead] [help]

[ 02-12-2007, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Little Bill ]

--------------------
Bill Hingston
SM#03
RM_Div

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Potential, possible maybe causes:
1-2 hub clutch instaled backwards

Bent fork

Bent syncro ring, just dropping it on the floor can ruin it.

Has anything been coated. The coating may have changed the thickness of a component.

If nothing looks amiss, put the old parts back in and try again.

Hope that helps
Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

BERG Racer Verified Driver

Region: NER
Icon 1 posted  Profile for BERG Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The dogs that engage the syncro to the slider hub are misaligned. Realign, use a wad of heavy grease to hold in place and carefully reassemble making sure nothing moves. Should solve the problem. BTW this is most typical when the trans is being assembled in a vertical fashion. Try heating the front bearing pockets and sliding the front cover over the cluster horizontally. Once it's seated and the nuts are on the you can stand it up.

--------------------
http://www.bergmotorsports.com/index.php

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Little Bill     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

First of all let me say thank you for the input I do sincerely mean it as there has been precious little response to my post.

The syncros are good and the dogs are aligned properly. I was born at night but it wasnt last night. [Eek!] [Wink]

Seriously those were the first things I checked. Im going back out to the garage now to finsh the redisassymbly will get back with more info when I have it.

--------------------
Bill Hingston
SM#03
RM_Div

Jim Boemler Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NWR, OR
Car #: 30
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sorry about the dearth of help, Bill -- most of us haven't taken apart the trans, so we haven't got anything to add.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Stupid is as stupid does, I found the problem.

First of all let me say never, and I do mean never, let anyone touch the guts of your disassembled transmission. Also, when assembling never assume that all is right. This is what I found after walking away from the project for a day.

There are two bearing collars that are located on the main shaft. They have roller bearing cages that support both 1st gear and reverse. These collars are very close in dimension with one collar slightly longer than the other. There is also a recess in the reverse gear collar. These collars had inadvertently been placed into the wrong gears by a buddy of mine who was playing with the parts when he was over the other day.

I assumed that the assemblies were correct since I hadnít separated the bearings from the gears. Big mistake. After tearing everything back down and finding the problem I called my buddy who fussed up, and said that he had been pulling the collar and cage out of both 1st and reverse and that he may have gotten them back in the wrong gears.

I thought I had done everything correctly by carefully laying the parts out as they came out of the gear box. But sometimes sh*t happens especially if you have inquisitive friends.

These boxes are simple and if you pay attention to detail they are very easy to rebuild

--------------------
Bill Hingston
SM#03
RM_Div

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: