Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Help with a 99? Stumbles at 5,000 rpm.

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Help with a 99? Stumbles at 5,000 rpm.
Heritage Racing Group

Region: STEEL CITIES
Car #: 15
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Heritage Racing Group     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I recently sold my 1.6 and pickup a 99 donor w/ hardtop. I thought I would try and drive it around for a week before I started the project. So, I first changed the timing belt, valve cover gasket, plugs, wires, freash oil, and fuel filter. The car idles great. Checked timing and all is good. Now the bad...I thought everything was great so I pulled out onto the road. Seemed great, then it stuttered at 5,000 rpms....so I did it again in another geear...same thing. Does anyone have an idea?

Greg

Heritage Racing Group

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Heritage Racing Group     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Now when I start the car it cranks for several seconds before starting...if I turn it off and start it right away it starts right away. Could this be a fuel issue? Any ideas on where to start?

Greg

BERG Racer Verified Driver

Region: NER
Icon 1 posted  Profile for BERG Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Any codes? Check engine light? Common thing is the leads going to the crank angle sensor get frayed. Also check the cam sensor for cracks.

--------------------
http://www.bergmotorsports.com/index.php

MiataRacer31 Verified Driver
Racing Junkie

Region: Steel Cities
Car #: 31
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MiataRacer31   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Did you drive it BEFORE you changed the timing belt and other things? Just wondering if you have a basis for before/after comparision. Your post seems to indicate you only drove it AFTER you did all those things. If you did drive it beforehand and did not have the problem of which you write, then you can probably assume the problem is resulting from something you touched.

--------------------
Dale
http://users.zoominternet.net/~blacktopracing

jnjj Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: Houston
Car #: Wheels Am SM Champion 2004 & 2005
Year : #43-- 1999 & # 1-- 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jnjj   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

common problem with 99s and up tps sensor fail also had several cam sensors fail while pro racing our 99 would go after cam sensor first

jnjj Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: Houston
Car #: Wheels Am SM Champion 2004 & 2005
Year : #43-- 1999 & # 1-- 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jnjj   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

just another thought might have damaged a plug wire .it could be arching in plug hole while under load

benauto

Region: ner
Car #: 05
SMIM: SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for benauto     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

New this season,my first time on track with 99 car it would break up over 5000rpms skip to the piont it would shoot flames out the tail pipe! My cure ended up being the crank sensor was adjust to far away from the crank.(needs to be .020-.050) It may have been this way for years.Beacause previuos owners babied the car!It was almosy 1/4" away and still ran. Hope the tip works!

Heritage Racing Group

I drove the car first and it did have trouble at 5,000 rpm. I thought it was arching and that is why I changed the plugs and wires. It didn't have trouble starting at first like it does now. It cranks fine. I am wondering if it is fuel related. I am confused about the CS adjustment. If my memory is right, isn't it on with one bolt in a fixed position? Do you mean angling it closer? NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS EITHER.

MiataRacer31 Verified Driver
Racing Junkie

Region: Steel Cities
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MiataRacer31   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Easiest thing to check is that the plug wires are routed properly. Next, check the timing belt in relation to cam gears and make sure it's not off a tooth, although this wouldn't typically produce your symptoms. If the CAS is within spec distance, check it for proper electrical operation. Then check the TPS for the same. What is your timing set at? Have you tried dialing it up or back? If the timing is on target, check the cam sensor (probably the most work, thus save for last). The FSM should be able to help you with all of these.

--------------------
Dale
http://users.zoominternet.net/~blacktopracing

BERG Racer Verified Driver

Region: NER
Icon 1 posted  Profile for BERG Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Key here is no CEL. I would look at fuel system.

--------------------
http://www.bergmotorsports.com/index.php

bassman Verified Driver

Region: mo-hud
Car #: 32
Icon 1 posted  Profile for bassman   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Check the engine ground strap. Both connections should be clean and tight.

--------------------
n/a

Subdued Verified Driver
NCW

Region: NWR/OR
Car #: Was #11
Year : Was a '99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Subdued     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by MiataRacer31:
What is your timing set at? Have you tried dialing it up or back?

I hear one vote to allow adjustable timing on the 99's.

Ed

maengelito

Region: blue ridge
Car #: 37
Year : 2000
Icon 1 posted  Profile for maengelito     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

common problems on 99-00's is the coilpacks. you might have one thats slowly checking out.

Vincent Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: CalClub
Car #: 28
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vincent   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i had the same issue, for many races: I changed coil pack(s), Cam angle sensor, Crank angle sensor, spark plug wires...was still throwing flames

Changed the spark plugs back to the OEM mazda recommended: Fixed the problem
[thumbsup]

Jonathan Christian Verified Driver

Region: south pacific
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jonathan Christian   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

vincent what plugs were you using?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: