Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Best way to build a SM from scratch

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Best way to build a SM from scratch
Ed Koop Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Dismembered

Region: SFR
Car #: 35
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ed Koop     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had originally asked this under David's '92 parts list thread, but thought I'd move it under its own post.

I'm sure there are efficiencies to be gained by 'being smart' on how you build a SM from scratch. Having all the parts are one thing - actually putting it all together is another (heck, just finding the right nut/bolt can be a challenge). So I'm curious what others have found to be the best way/steps to build a car when you start with just a tub (no cage, no seat, no engine, etc...).

Thanks!

Mike
Memphis PC Guy

Icon 14 posted  Profile for Mike   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What perfect timing! Jim Drago of Eaststreet.com is going to be hosting a Car Construction forum here at specmiata.com. He is out of town this week but we hope to have it going by the first of the year for sure.

Stay Tuned!

--------------------
Mike
Memphis PC Guy
http://memphispcguy.com
http://www.mazdaracers.com

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great addition. Looking forward to it.

Will it start out with "Buy a 99 donor"
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

jigou Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Des Moines Valley
Car #: 59
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jigou     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No, it starts out "Call Jim, send him a cashier's check, wait for your car to arrive via truck."

[Big Grin]

--------------------
http://www.plainoldgas.com

Necio

Region: 19
Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Necio     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am building my own Spec Miata. So far, I have loved the process. I am the butt of many jokes made by family members, relatives and friends (I live in Los Angeles). But I have also became to be admired by my young nieces and nephews.

To be fair though, some family members have been involved in the build. Changing brake and clutch lines, brake rotors, removing the air conditioning, etc.

I have most of the parts stored in my garage for the build (race cage from miata cage, seat, wheels and tires, etc.)

I have enjoyed every minute. I know this will take another year or so to complete. But I am certainly having fun along the way. I have no regrets to have chosen this route.

However, my second car, I will purchased already built.

Rony

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those, who in a time of great crisis maintain their neutrality." Dante Alighieri

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

First step, get a copy of the Spec Miata Constuctors manual.

I can't say where or how, but I can tell you when.

Available first week of January. Watch the classifieds.

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Ed Koop Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Dismembered

Region: SFR
Car #: 35
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ed Koop     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks guys...I'm really enjoying getting into the car like this (I bought my first, now I'm building my second). But it seems after I do something and get a better understanding, I realize it would have been easier to do it a different way - if only I had knowwn...

Anyway, looking forward to Jim's forum and/or the constructors manual. Should be good stuff.

Cheers!

SM Police

Region: Chicago
Car #: 30
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SM Police     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think the best way to build a SM is buy one already done and make it better!

--------------------
Speed Dog Racing, Inc.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: