Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Spec Seat Mounting Question

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Spec Seat Mounting Question
STRINGER Verified Driver

Region: Mid Atlantic
Car #: 55
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for STRINGER   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have purchased a set of UltraShield Spec Miata Seats. From what I can gather most bolt through the floor. Is there a bracket mount system that uses the factory seat bolt holes?

If not, if one was developed....would anyone be interested?

--------------------
91 N/A 1.6 Miata MX5
Tannerdog Motorsports
 -

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Most of us have to cut the factory seat mounts out to get the seat low enough in the car.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

STRINGER Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for STRINGER   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I kinda figured that out already. I was asking about alternatives

--------------------
91 N/A 1.6 Miata MX5
Tannerdog Motorsports
 -

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I know there is a mount system that will mount into the factory holes and has a slide mechanism to make the seat position adjustable. It was in my car when I bought it, but I had to ditch it to get my drivers seat in (6'2" makes SM interesting.)

I'm 85% sure this is it. He had this, and bolted a kirkey seat directly to it with two bolts. He then ran a support piece from the back of the seat to the roll cage.

http://www.autobahnpower.com/products.asp?recnumber=251

Hope this helps.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

STRINGER Verified Driver

looked over the site. Lots of good stuff...BUT, I too am 6'2". The lower the seat is the better.

I just cant find anything premade that works for taller people. I am going to look into developing a Spec Seat mounting system for taller people using the existing mounting bolt locations.

--------------------
91 N/A 1.6 Miata MX5
Tannerdog Motorsports
 -

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This may not answer you question for tall drivers because I'm not (5'7") but wanted a non-slider mount so it would be adjustable enough to fit tallish drivers for enduros... Here is what I did:

First I heated up some 2.5" x 1/4" cold roll steel bar, cut to the appropriate length, and bent to give me flat surface to attach my mounts.

-

After a quick spray and several ins-and-outs of the car with my Kirkey seat I calculated (took my best guess) where the OMP alum side mounts should go. Used Grd8 hardware, final bolt-in also used blue Locktight.

-

After installing the 2nd mount, the seat is held between the two mounts with 4 bolts on each side with fender washers on the inside of the seat.

-

It ended up being perfect me (again I'm 5'7") and it sould accommodate up to 6' by dropping the seat down a few holes on the side mounts.

[ 12-31-2007, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: sn8byte ]

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

STRINGER Verified Driver

That was exactly what I am looking at doing. Thanks for the pictures as they are nearly the same as to what I was thinking about.

I am glad that I was not the only one that thought about this.

--------------------
91 N/A 1.6 Miata MX5
Tannerdog Motorsports
 -

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My dad is considering running my car in a different class for weekend racing events. Trouble is, he is 6' 2" and is long-waisted.

To get additional clearance, do you tall guys cut out the stock spot-welded seat mounts and bolt directly to the floor? Is that just done with a cut-off wheel and grinder?

Will the pictured OMP mount work with other branded seats?

Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Eric;
I know some guys have removed the OEM seat mounts and have installed sliders of some kind. I recommend that you do a search of this site, it's there somewhere. (I'd check Miata.net too)

The OMP mount I bought/used was labeled as 'universal' and was around $60 (don't remember where I got them). I assume they would work with other seats that support side-mounting but I'd consult with the seat manufacturer recommendations first.

IMHO mounting a seat in a race car is the biggest pain in the a$$ that there can be. Do your homework and be prepared do re-do it a few times till it's the way you & co-driver like it.

Rye

Region: CACC British Columbia
Car #: 34
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was going to mount the seat directly to the floor in a current project until a friend of mine had an unusual incident. During an offtrack excursion, he ran over a large rock and tore a sizable hole in the footwell of his RX7, injuring his foot and ankle. I can't imagine the severity of injuries had the rock come up a foot or so rearward (through the seat).

I have some pictures, but I don't know how to post them. PM me if you'd like to see them.

I will still probably mount to the floor, but I think that I'll add an anti-intrusion plate as part of my "mount".

Richard

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks.

An anti-intrusion plate would be marketable well beyond SM. Prisons, just to name one market! [Smile]

Eric

Icon 5 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rye:

... imagine the severity of injuries had the rock come up a foot or so rearward (through the seat).

I will still probably mount to the floor, but I think that I'll add an anti-intrusion plate as part of my "mount".

Yikes [Eek!]

Would a "skid-plate type thing" welded to the underside of the car be legal? Could it be argued as safety device?

J

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Why couldn't a plate be mounted inside the car under the seat and be counted as part of the seat bracket? Most of us need to add weight to the car anyway. We probably wouldn't though because the weight on the passenger floor does provide some nice balast.

Rye

Region: CACC British Columbia
Car #: 34
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was thinking along thoses lines, maybe a 1/8" plate would only add a couple pounds, especially if the original floor bracing is removed.

jigou Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Des Moines Valley
Car #: 59
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jigou     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Eric Barbaric:
To get additional clearance, do you tall guys cut out the stock spot-welded seat mounts and bolt directly to the floor? Is that just done with a cut-off wheel and grinder?

It can be done any number of ways. I cut mine out using a spot weld cutter to separate each of the spot welds holding the bracket in, then ground down whatever was left and painted to match the rest of the interior.

Jarrod

--------------------
http://www.plainoldgas.com

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have done a bunch of different ways, but I actually prefer the cutoff wheel and grinder. It takes a little longer and a can make a little mess, but often with spot weld cutter you end up making additional holes in the floor. So I cut it off with cut off wheel and then gring the flat lip off the floor.

Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Vick Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I drilled the spotwelds only, and managed to not go through the floor. I then just pried up the seat mount humps and was done.

--------------------

misterwaterfallin

Region: Northwest
Car #: 07
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for misterwaterfallin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I like the strip and mount idea, but Im 6'2" and need the seat as low as I can get it. I was thinking straight to the floor but Im a bit unsure on that. Any recommendations? I wouldnt mind welding up a bracket that would tap into the existing seat holes, but still think that might be a bit too tall for me

--------------------
-Mathew Waterfall
Number 07 SM
Red/black/mud

Vick Verified Driver

I'm 6'2" also, and what I did was remove the rear humps, and then I took four strips of stock steel and welded them into a rectangle. This was bolted to the floor using large steel plates 1/8" thick on the backside as washers. I then bolted kirkey side mounts to this bracket I made, and then my Kirkey seat.

Removing the rear humps made all the difference for me. The front ones have to stay in place from what I understand because of the rigidity they add to the car. The rears were relatively easy to remove. I found the spot welds and just drilled them until they popped.

If you're going to go after the seat on the passenger side, be very careful drilling through the floor. There are brake lines there and i almost went right through one.

--------------------

misterwaterfallin

Region: Northwest
Car #: 07
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for misterwaterfallin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think Im gonna give that idea a go. Il probably grad a pair of OMP side mounts or make a set of my own out of someangle steal and see what I come up with. Any pic of the final product?

--------------------
-Mathew Waterfall
Number 07 SM
Red/black/mud

Vick Verified Driver

No, i never took pictures because I finished it about two hours before the car had to go on a trailer. I would say to buy the side seat mounts premade because it gives you lots of options for angles on the seat without having to fab your own.

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: