Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Best drillbit?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Best drillbit?
Mark McCallister Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Just graduated from novice to rookie!!

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 40
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark McCallister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ok, I know this was covered in jr. high shop class...but apparently I missed that day. Car is getting annual tech this afternoon, and the one thing I need to finish (that I know of so far!) to get it GCR legal is inspection holes in the rollcage. Last night I flattened the end of two supposed metal-cutting drillbits attempting to drill the first hole. And the all I got was a bit of a dimple where I was trying to drill for my efforts. What drillbit/technique works best for this?

Thanks..

disquek Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: New England
Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for disquek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Any HSS drill bit should have no problem making the required holes in the cage. Be sure not to drill into a weld. Drill into the tube only. Turn the drill at a moderate pace and use a light pressure. Sounds like a trip to The Orange Box for a new drill index is in order.

That said, tech usually has a drill for just this purpose and then they can put the holes where they want them.

Good luck.

-Kyle

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 08
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll second what Kyle said. Tech has always insisted on drilling their own holes on every car i've built. Let them do it. If you must do it yourself, buy some good titanium coated bits or any high speed steel bits and a squirt or 2 of wd40 as you drill will help.

db

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark McCallister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Kyle and db... I'll get a six pack of bits this time on the way home. Maybe I already dulled those two bits on something and didn't realize it.

I love the way the GCR says the holes should be in a non-critical area. I was trying to rationalize just exactly which area of a roll cage is non-critical.. [Smile] As you say the weld are definitely THE most critical, but after that...

That's not a bad idea, I will get the bits and have the them tell me where to drill. I like that. [Smile]

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Another tip,

Make sure the drill is going the right direction.

Not poking fun at you but I've seen it before.....

Greg

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

build your cage out of PVC like I did -- very easy to drill

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

Alrighty, new drill bit did the trick. Inspection passed, got my logbook, life is good! [Big Grin]

springfielddyno Verified Driver
Runoffs "MOVE OF THE RACE" (headlights)

Region: Ozark Mountain Region
Car #: 37, 31
Year : 96, 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for springfielddyno   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mark McCallister:

I love the way the GCR says the holes should be in a non-critical area. I was trying to rationalize just exactly which area of a roll cage is non-critical.. [Smile] As you say the weld are definitely THE most critical, but after that...
[Smile]

without going into FEA, passenger side perhaps, not near a weld or bend... just my .02...

--------------------
Regards,
Sam H.
www.springfielddyno.com

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Willie the Tard:

You laugh, but I knew someone that did that in an SS Camaro so they could keep running at the drag strip because their car was too fast. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for springfielddyno   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

pvc, sch40 or sch80? might be able to save some $$ over DOM... kinda makes me wonder about TX [Wink]

--------------------
Regards,
Sam H.
www.springfielddyno.com

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Clements:
quote:
Originally posted by Willie the Tard:

You laugh, but I knew someone that did that in an SS Camaro so they could keep running at the drag strip because their car was too fast. [Big Grin]
I've also heard of that in the old IMSA days instead it was exhaust tubing.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

jigou Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Des Moines Valley
Car #: 59
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jigou     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As for where to drill the holes, aside from having Sam do that FEA, take your drill and bits along when you get the inspection and let the inspector tell you where he/she would like the holes. Sure, they'll probably accept wherever you've drilled them if you do it ahead of time...

Jarrod

--------------------
http://www.plainoldgas.com

for the record, I'm not doing any FEA on cages [Wink]

--------------------
Regards,
Sam H.
www.springfielddyno.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: