Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » idle speed issues

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: idle speed issues
gwaronlawn

Region: sfr
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for gwaronlawn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

After the car warms up, the idle speed (which used to be correctly at 850rpm), is now at 1250. I adjusted it down and the idle adjust screw hits the hard stop when it is only at 950-1000 and won't go any lower.

Any ideas?

I checked the fault codes, and it is throwing a 14 - atmospheric pressure sensor. I doubt this is related, but have no idea.

--------------------
_ _________ _
Ryan Wellman

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Disconnect the idle speed control valve, and see if it makes any difference. If not, your ISCV is probably dead.

jcocke23 Verified Driver

Region: NC
Car #: 86
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jcocke23     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I can't get mine below about 1050 RPM either. I bottom out the air screw, cleaned the TB numerous times, adjusted all the preload out of the linkage, and thats just where it sets. If I run stock timing, it idles correctly.

I've just accepted that thats the way its gonna be.

--------------------
Go Hokies!

gwaronlawn

Icon 1 posted  Profile for gwaronlawn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

my timing has been set at 16 and used to idle at 850 with the idle screw not even close to bottomed out. so something must have changed.

I'll try disconnecting the ISCV tonight and see if that does anything

--------------------
_ _________ _
Ryan Wellman

backusm Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: CenDiv
Car #: 94
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for backusm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

vacuum leak. I had one that came from a cracked injector o-ring. Took forever to find. Also look at the crossover tube for the intake. They can rub on the pulley and get a small hole in the back that is almost impossible to see.

--------------------
Mike Backus
90 SM white #94

gwaronlawn

backusm, so how do you find such things. What's the best method? I've checked the vacuum lines (visually) and don't see anything. The tubes are all relatively new.

But what is the best method to diagnose a vacuum leak?

--------------------
_ _________ _
Ryan Wellman

backusm Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: CenDiv
Car #: 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for backusm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

spray ether while car is running, wait for idle to rise. bingo

--------------------
Mike Backus
90 SM white #94

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Or, Spray N20 and just sit back and relax..:-)

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

gwaronlawn

Dan, is that how you got your Rebello working so well this year?
[Big Grin]

--------------------
_ _________ _
Ryan Wellman

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: