Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Hard Top Latches

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Hard Top Latches
Alan Russell

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm going to pickup my new hard top (bought it used for $700).. My question is thus:

I don't have the side latches, is it safe to transport it 120 miles (on highway) with just the front and rear latches?

And while I'm at it, how do you bolt it in? Replace the latches with plates?

Dusty

Region: Northwest
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes it's safe I've gone a hundred windows down no side latches.No sweat

raycm2 Verified Driver

Region: SFO
Car #: 32
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for raycm2     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
And while I'm at it, how do you bolt it in? Replace the latches with plates?

Yup.

A tip for getting the latches off: Apply copious heat to the screws, then back them out while still hot.

-ray.

don wiseman Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Veteran Member

Region: Rocky Mountain
Car #: 81
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for don wiseman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

replace the latches with plates

whenry
Veteran Member

Region: East Tenn
Car #: 06
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for whenry     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The side latches are called "rattle latches" and are not needed to secure the top. You may need to check the tightness on the Frankenstein bolts and the adjuster inside the chrome boxes(mine were loose on one top and I discovered it at 70 mph; when I tried to tighten the bolts were missing)

--------------------
Wayne Henry SM 06

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: