Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Rear Brake Rotor Movement

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Rear Brake Rotor Movement
TJAndriesen

Region: NNJ
Car #: 43
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TJAndriesen     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

2 weekends ago at drivers school I started hearing a noise in the rear right side of the car at low speeds. When I got the car home I put it up and started checking things. I've notice the brake rotor has about 1/4 of horizontal play in it on the right side while all the others have no play. I assume this is where the noise is coming from and after looking at the shop manuals I have it doesn't appear that there is any way to tighten the rotor as it just slips on.

Is this play normal?

Any ideas on how to resolve the problem?

Thanks.

--------------------
TJ Andriesen
Barrington, IL
#43 SM/ITA (SCCA & MC)

Terry Whitlock Verified Driver

Region: BUCCANEER
Car #: 23 SSM, 36 SM
Year : 1992, 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Terry Whitlock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

TJ,
I assume that the play you are getting is with the wheel off and at least two lug nuts tigtened down on the studs to secure the rotor. In that contition there should be no play in the rotor itself. If the condition is as I discribed, and you have play it is likely a bearing issues.

--------------------
Terry Whitlock

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Try using the adjuster to see if the piston is up against the pads. Remove the bolt next to the bleeder and adjust with a 4mm hex wrench until the wheel won't turn and then back off a third. make sure the lug nuts are tight.

--------------------
Paul McLester

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Set up the way Terry said, if you have in and out play your axle nut most likely is not tight. if it is up and down play, wheel bearing.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

TJAndriesen

Region: NNJ
Car #: 43
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TJAndriesen     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Terry Whitlock:
TJ,
I assume that the play you are getting is with the wheel off and at least two lug nuts tigtened down on the studs to secure the rotor. In that contition there should be no play in the rotor itself. If the condition is as I discribed, and you have play it is likely a bearing issues.

Thanks Guys,

So when I do that I don't get any play. That eliminates that as a possible cause of the noise but now I need to look for other things...

--------------------
TJ Andriesen
Barrington, IL
#43 SM/ITA (SCCA & MC)

Terry Whitlock Verified Driver

Region: BUCCANEER
Car #: 23 SSM, 36 SM
Year : 1992, 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Terry Whitlock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you feel the noise is coming from the rear you might want to check the emergency brake adjustment as mentioned earlier in the thread. You could also have a calipher that is not releasing fully and dragging a pad. Put it up on stands and put it in first gear with the motor running. Have someone in the drivers seat feeding in a little throttle while you see if you can isolate the noise. Hope that helps.

--------------------
Terry Whitlock

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Found one last weekend with the TOP pin loose. Use an allen wrench and check.

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: