Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Frozen Rear Bolt in Knuckle

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Frozen Rear Bolt in Knuckle
Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As I am doing the 99 hats and new shocks I figured it was about time I fixed the two rear frozen long bolts so if I bent one at the track I could replace it. Cut out the left rear LCA and the stub is frozen solid in the knuckle. Pulled it, soaked it with three different rust busters, heated it (MAAP), drilled one side and cut it about 7/8ths of the way through in the middle with a Dremmel. Still won't budge. Don't have a press. These knuckles are nasty looking but have no play. Any ideas? Is it better to get new ones or keep trying?

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Bad Al Bell Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Gold Member

Car #: 3
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bad Al Bell   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

New ones aren't that pricey

--------------------
"Bad"Al Bell
SM/SSM #3 "JD"
SM #09 "Nadine"
2006 MARRS SM Champion
DC Region SM Driver's Co-Rep
SM cars for sale and rent, and rent-to-own
www.MEATHEADRacing.com

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Air chisel might poke it out of there. I know they can get moderately bent ones out pretty easily.

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks guys.

Got the ds after about 2 hours of cutting and pounding. Doing the ps now. Hoping it's not as bad but I wouldn't bet on it.

Edit: The other one is locked up and is showing signs of the seal leaking. Time for new hubs.

[ 04-26-2009, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Muda ]

--------------------
Muda Motorsports

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You need an oxy-acetelyne torch, a good air powered impact and a 5 pound hammer.

Heat the bolt to cherry red in the exposed area of the knuckle. Using the impact try to spin the bolt. Once you get it spinning, hit the end of the bolt with the hammer. Keep it spinning and keep hitting. It will come out.

Using this method I have only had 1 bolt that I could not get out.

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

planet-miata.com

Region: NEPA
Car #: #00
Year : 20th century
Icon 1 posted  Profile for planet-miata.com   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by davew:
You need an oxy-acetelyne torch, a good air powered impact and a 5 pound hammer.

Heat the bolt to cherry red in the exposed area of the knuckle. Using the impact try to spin the bolt. Once you get it spinning, hit the end of the bolt with the hammer. Keep it spinning and keep hitting. It will come out.

Using this method I have only had 1 bolt that I could not get out.

+1

I am sure everyone knows but after heating this bolt to the point it's cherry red, make sure you replace it.

this method always works for us but sometimes while using the impact, we'll see the middle of the bolt actually twist.

new ones i think are around $8 from mazda.

--------------------
#1 Supplier of New and Used Miata parts
http://WWW.PLANET-MIATA.COM

Marc Cefalo

#00 1996 ITA
#00 ???? SM

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

I got them out by cutting them, drilling the centers, heating them and driving them out.

Major PIA!

Thanks for everyone's advice.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: