Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Rear Axle Play?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Rear Axle Play?
Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

'91 w/ '99 Torsen and appropriate axle swap.

Did the '99 hats, hardware and and a couple of LCA's. Did a test day and there was a rumbling sound that varies with car speed. Goes away on left turn. Pulled ds hub to check the axle as I pulled the outside cv joint apart when I was doing the suspension. There is about 1/4" of in/out play in the outside cv joint and about 2 inches on the inside cv joint. Both hit their limits with a solid click. Is this the problem or is it somewhere else? Doesn't seem to be this play on the ps axle but I haven't pulled the hub yet. No play anywhere in the wheels before or after the event. No noticeable performance loss.
Possible it's the tires are they are 888's with a groove worn in the middle.

Don't want to take a problem to MARRS4.
Too many variables.
Help!!!

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

IMHO I'd rule out the tires. You'd be hard pressed to find 888s that look worse than mine and I don't get any unusual noises. I'd lean towards the axle issue you described but I haven't had problems with them myself so I couldn't describe what happens when they go bad.

You don't have any missing tools do you? They make a racket rolling around in odd places. [Smile]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jacked up the passenger side and there is no in/out play in the axle.

Could I have busted or pushed out the clips in the inner cv joint? Solid fit into diff.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Are you sure the noise is coming from the back of the car. When was the last time you checked your front hubs?

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is it a whirring noise that is more constant in pitch or is it a varying rrrrr, rrrrr, rrrrr like its coming from only 1 half of the revolution?

I've noticed CV axles making the second sound more often than not. Even maybe a thump, thump, thump.

If it's a constant whirring that tends to get louder as the revs go up, then it could be alignment of the pinion gear inside your newly installed rear diff? The pinion gear could be too tight against the ring gear?

Or it could be none of the above becasue cars are finniky.

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

The sound is rrrrr....rrrrr....rrrrr. It's relatively slow and increases with speed. No change when you push in the clutch. It began immediately when I took the car out so I am sure it is something I did. Feels like it is associated with the rotation of the axles. Sounds like it is coming from the right rear. Checked the driveshaft for loose bolts and all is fine. No play anywhere in the hubs, front or rear.

It is just strange that the drivers side rear axle has so much in/out play and the passenger side has none. That's why I think one of them has a problem.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The inboard joint is a plunge type joint. It is supposed to move in and out as the suspension goes up and down.

The outer joint should not move. It is held in place by a clip and should have NO PLAY.

Sounds like something is amiss in the outer joint that came apart on installation.

Since this joint needs some serious work to get the joint off the shaft, I would contact the source and request another shaft.

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Thanks Dave!

Also found this today from the MX-5 forum. Looks like I popped the clip.

"You should not be able to move the axle in and out at all. The axle is locked by the outer cv internal circlip. Nothing holds the inner joint in it's cup. All plunging action is in the inner. Make sure the movement is between the outer cv and the axle. If the movement is in the boot, it is a cv problem. If the whole cv is moving, it is a cv nut or hub spacer problem. Both require immediate repair."

--------------------
Muda Motorsports

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: