Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Amount of brake fluid

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Amount of brake fluid
Kevin Marriner

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kevin Marriner   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I figured that I should do a complete flush of my brake fluid as I have no idea what is in there, or how long its been in there , and my pedal feels a bit soft.

I have flushed brakes before, but I don't know how much fluid to buy for the miata.
I have looked everywhere and have seen everything from 16oz to a liter and a half of brake fluid is needed for a complete flush. I don't want to underbuy ..or overbuy for that matter.

I am going to be going with superblue, but I want to know if I should buy 17oz, a liter or what?

Thank you.

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Buy a liter, you'll probably have some left over but seal it up good and you can use it the next time. Our cars are incredibly easy on brakes/fluid so it lasts a while.

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Kevin:
If you don't already do so, start by suctioning the master cylinder as empty as possible. That way half the fluid you're flushing is gone before you start.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

JST #16 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Detroit
Car #: GLD. # 16
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JST #16     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

+1 on what Rick said. My wife's turkey baster works great for getting fluid out of the reservoir! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jeff Thompson
SM #16 - Detroit Region
Great Lake Division

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by JST #16:
+1 on what Rick said. My wife's turkey baster works great for getting fluid out of the reservoir! [Big Grin]

And adds that little extra something to keep the turkey from being dry and flavorless.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

JST #16 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Detroit
Car #: GLD. # 16
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JST #16     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Christmas and Thanksgiving just wouldn't be the same without the ATE Super Blue Gravy.

--------------------
Jeff Thompson
SM #16 - Detroit Region
Great Lake Division

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: