Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Brake Rotors - Not Chinese

 - Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Brake Rotors - Not Chinese
Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ
Member

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Posts: 912
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It looks like Raybestos has given in to the urge to have their entire brake rotor line made in China (their PG Plus line used to be made in Italy and cost $21 from rockauto.com) so I'm on the hunt for a non-made-in-china rotor.

What are my options? I've heard of Bendix rotors that are made in Canada. Anyone have a supplier for them?

Thanks!

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver
Member

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Year : 1991
Posts: 311
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SafeRacer's Carbotech rotors are only $25. Where are they made?

Why no likee China? Bad product or just not wanting to send more dollars overseas?

EBudman Verified Driver
Idle Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: #71
Year : 1990
Posts: 656
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for EBudman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Eric Barbaric:
Why no likee China? Bad product or just not wanting to send more dollars overseas?

Seriously?! The list of reasons to avoid Chinese crap is long... unless you're Nike, Sam Walton or Kathy Lee Gifford [flamed]

ChrisA
Member

Year : 1999
Posts: 197
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

NAPA's Ultra Premium are made in Italy or Canada, can't remember but cost a little more than their cheappies. I'll pay it to support our allies, if I can't find or afford U.S. ones.

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Posts: 574
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tire Rack

Brembo

Front $26.00

Rear $25.00

Dave Wheeler may also have Brembo.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Posts: 519
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I got Carbotechs from Saferacer a few weeks ago. The box said they were made by C-tech. No other markings. Looked just like the chinese ones I replaced. Saferacer said they weren't sure where the supplier got them.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Posts: 1304
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Brembo are now made in China

--------------------
Paul McLester

ChrisA
Member

Year : 1999
Posts: 197
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

C-tech are made in China.

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Posts: 574
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Paul, just for grins I looked at where Brembo production is.

Brazil

China

India

Italy

Japan

Mexcio

Poland

Slovak Republic

Spain

U.S.

I'm going to continue using Brembo rotors pretending the rotors are manufactured in the U.S. [Wink]

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Posts: 4275
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisA:
NAPA's Ultra Premium are made in Italy or Canada, can't remember but cost a little more than their cheappies. I'll pay it to support our allies, if I can't find or afford U.S. ones.

I have used those made in Italy, always "assumed" they were probably made by brembo? I have had really good luck with them
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

NV Racer Verified Driver
Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 70
Year : 1990
Posts: 768
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NV Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The reality about manufacturing is that it does not matter where they are manufactured. It is their quality control standards and production methods. If a company like Brembo is going to put their name on a product they will spec those standards and processes to the manufacturer. You can get the same poor quality no matter where items are produced if they fail to follow the spec'd processes.

Dennis

EBudman Verified Driver
Idle Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: #71
Year : 1990
Posts: 656
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for EBudman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sounds good in theory, but how often do you think those processes are checked? Sure the chinese are GREAT at making copies & knockoffs of anything that you can think of, but this is my favorite story....

a friend owns a company that is responsible for installing NVH chassis dynos for GM Shanghai... the CHINESE spec'd that pretty much EVERYTHING has to be made in the US... even the simplest steel tubing fixtures, platforms & structures that would be WAY cheaper to build on-site than ship. If they found that anything was made locally, it was rejected!

Everyone, including Joe American is so worried about the short term bottom line, it's comforting to believe that specs, standards and processes will make it all better... considering the Chinese have this country by the balls.. it's a nice thought...

Eric

Blake Thompson Verified Driver
Now The Fastest "Blake" in Spec Miata

Region: Central
Car #: 97
Year : 1991
Posts: 602
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by NV Racer:
The reality about manufacturing is that it does not matter where they are manufactured. It is their quality control standards and production methods. If a company like Brembo is going to put their name on a product they will spec those standards and processes to the manufacturer. You can get the same poor quality no matter where items are produced if they fail to follow the spec'd processes.

Dennis

raw material standards aren't the same in China and their government is probably as bad as ours. At least the multitude of lawsuits here means companies pay attention to safety standards.

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - YOUR Miata Parts Pimp

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Posts: 4253
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Thompson:
quote:
Originally posted by NV Racer:
The reality about manufacturing is that it does not matter where they are manufactured. It is their quality control standards and production methods. If a company like Brembo is going to put their name on a product they will spec those standards and processes to the manufacturer. You can get the same poor quality no matter where items are produced if they fail to follow the spec'd processes.

Dennis

raw material standards aren't the same in China and their government is probably as bad as ours. At least the multitude of lawsuits here means companies pay attention to safety standards.
I think their system may be better? The guy responsible for the tainted milk got a bullet in the back of the head. Let's see corrupt CEO's here go to hard core prisons at the very least.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

EBudman Verified Driver
Idle Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: #71
Year : 1990
Posts: 656
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for EBudman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Killing babies & pets with tainted milk and pet food may get someone executed... but the guy responsible for pulsating brake pedals has little to worry about....

jatterbu Verified Driver
Member

SMIM: AIM: advanwrx86
Posts: 195
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jatterbu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Call up the guys at StopTech, their parent company is Centric Parts which produces OE replacement rotors that I have used for the last 2 years with no cracks or problems whatsoever. Centric also is the parent company of Powerslot, they are big time and know their stuff.

--------------------
Joey
Car #69
White and Red
http://www.joeyatterbury.com

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Posts: 2000
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It sort of comes down to the company that has the mfg done in China not necessarily where it's made. The company I work for has some pretty substantial parts built in China. Their quality control is top notch. We also have reps on hand all the time to ensure quality control.

If you have confidence that the company you're buying from has the right quality controls in place, to me it doesn't make as much difference where the parts were made.

On the other hand if you're buying parts from "Joe's Wheels, Burritos, and Topless Expresso" to get a screamin' good price, I'd wonder what their quality controls are.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Posts: 4253
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Burritos and Topless Espresso? You guys should have told me about that place while I was up in the NW. I'll try it next time. Are they selling franchises?

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

andrew_anderson
National Member

Region: SC region and buccaneer
Year : 1991
Posts: 184
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for andrew_anderson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The problem with rotors being made in China is that they are made of steel.
Chinese steel is very inconsistent in some situations.

Ive run carbotech rotors on the front of my car for 18 racing months before one got a fatal crack.


Remeber China is investing in the worlds resources right now. They are buying up anything they can get ahold to, whether is be land, gold, silver, steel or something else.

To the best of my knowledge, the majority of scrap car steel that leaves Europe goes the the far east. This is probably what the rotors are made from.

--------------------
Dish NetworkNew Dish Network customers receive a $40 rebate if you are an SCCA member!
Race Engineering. Championship winning engines.
Carbotech Brakes
Panic Motorsports
Low Country Communications
2343 Main HWY
Bamberg, SC 29003
800.371.6709

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Posts: 836
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by EBudman:
Killing babies & pets with tainted milk and pet food may get someone executed... but the guy responsible for pulsating brake pedals has little to worry about....

pulsating brake pedals.... knock off purses and shoes, non-functional circuit boards.

Welcome to the world we have created.....

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

Dacowieson
Junior Member

Region: Northeast
Year : 1997
Posts: 9
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dacowieson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wind the clock back thirty to forty years and this conversation would have been the same but 'Japan'.

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ
Member

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Posts: 912
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dacowieson:
Wind the clock back thirty to forty years and this conversation would have been the same but 'Japan'.

I look forward to 40 years from now when Chinese-made components will be world class. Until then, I'm not buying their steel.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

CarbotechDanny Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NeOhio
Car #: 26, 27 or 29
Year : 2001
Posts: 720
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CarbotechDanny   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Teamfour:
I got Carbotechs from Saferacer a few weeks ago. The box said they were made by C-tech. No other markings. Looked just like the chinese ones I replaced. Saferacer said they weren't sure where the supplier got them.

Carbotech does NOT manufacture rotors, just the brake pads. Those rotors are C-Tech (Centric) which are mostly made in China.

Over 80% of the rotors manufactured today are made in China. Not too many made in the US anymore (Unfortunately). A good amount are still made in Canada though (Bendix being one of them).

More and more Brembo's every year are made in China even though they still have plants in other countries.

--------------------
Danny Puskar (push-car)
Carbotech Performance Brakes
4031 Dearborn Place N.W.
Concord, NC 28027
877-899-5024
danny@ctbrakes.com
http://www.ctbrakes.com

Puskar Motorsports
Spec Miata specialists
Chesterland, OH
216-406-8140

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ
Member

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Posts: 912
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I should clarify that our car is primarily used for endurance racing, including the 25 Hours of Thunderhill, and brake problems tend to crop up on long runs that wouldn't be an issue on sprints. If I was only running sprints, I'd probably buy the cheapest rotors available.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Posts: 2000
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Brakeworld.com advertizes that they only use German, US, Italian sources. They do sell Brembos though. [scratchchin] It doesn't say who makes their "Premium OEM" rotors.

EBC claims thiers are made in the US and the UK. Fortunately they have no electrical parts for the UK to screw up. Parts Train has them for $13. PBR looks like they only have plants in the US but it's hard to say. There are a couple others like Centric that I think still manufactures locally. There seem to be a few places other than China that still make em. There are a number of European companies but they seem to be mostly slotted and or drilled.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver
Member

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Year : 1991
Posts: 311
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The UK electric parts comment inspired a new avatar for me.

Sphinx Verified Driver
M. Yusuf Mohamed

Posts: 450
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sphinx     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I need to get new rear rotors, also non-chinese. NAPA doesn't carry the canadian/american ones right now (currently out of stock everywhere). Anyone know another source?

--------------------
Sphinx Racing
Atlanta Region
http://www.sphinxracing.com
http://www.layersdesserts.com
Support our racing efforts by shopping at your favorite online merchants at SphinxRacing.com!

Sphinx Verified Driver
M. Yusuf Mohamed

Posts: 450
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sphinx     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Sphinx:
I need to get new rear rotors, also non-chinese. NAPA doesn't carry the canadian/american ones right now (currently out of stock everywhere). Anyone know another source?

Update: I went by my local NAPA store yesterday. According to them, there is no longer an Ultra Premium (the Canadian or US made ones) that's avaiable. And their website doesn't show either as available, neither front or rear.

--------------------
Sphinx Racing
Atlanta Region
http://www.sphinxracing.com
http://www.layersdesserts.com
Support our racing efforts by shopping at your favorite online merchants at SphinxRacing.com!

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Posts: 1304
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Back in February NAPA priced the Ultra premium the same as the chinese in order to clear out inventory. I paid to have mine shipped from Birmingham, Al ($8) because they were $38 each.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Tom's Double O Verified Driver
Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 00
Year : 1992
Posts: 294
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom's Double O     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Sphinx:
quote:
Originally posted by Sphinx:
I need to get new rear rotors, also non-chinese. NAPA doesn't carry the canadian/american ones right now (currently out of stock everywhere). Anyone know another source?

Update: I went by my local NAPA store yesterday. According to them, there is no longer an Ultra Premium (the Canadian or US made ones) that's avaiable. And their website doesn't show either as available, neither front or rear.
I was told the same thing by NAPA the end of Sept. Bought their cheap rotors. No need to worry about them in our 30 minute races. Just check them and when the cracks migrate to the edge, change them...they are cheap enough.

But if anyone does find a reliable source for non-chinese rotors, I would like to know.

Tom

Tom Sager Made Donation to Website
Member

Region: Chicago
Car #: 94
Posts: 176
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Sager     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gibscreen:
quote:
Originally posted by Dacowieson:
Wind the clock back thirty to forty years and this conversation would have been the same but 'Japan'.

I look forward to 40 years from now when Chinese-made components will be world class. Until then, I'm not buying their steel.
Yeah but when their standard of living rises, rotors will be made cheap in a place like Afganistan.

Kyle Freiheit
Member

Region: NWR
Car #: #78 sorry Terrell
Year : 1992
Posts: 270
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Standard of living rises? apparently you forgot how Communism works [Smile]

I have been using the NAPA chinese rotors with PFC 97s for a few years now and at first I didn't have really any problems and a set of rotors would last 5-6 weekends before the cracks would start. I have now gone through 2 sets of Fronts in 4-5 weekends. Me thinks I am either braking harder or I just got real lucky on the first set I bought. After my supply runs low, I may be looking for better rotors, its just tough when I get them for $11/rotor.

Kyle

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver
Member

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Year : 1991
Posts: 311
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow. For $11/rotor, I think we all just ought to engineer a way to use a supply of them as ballast.

Keep 8 fresh rotors at the ready.

Then we should figure out how to convert the old ones into trophies!

Sphinx Verified Driver
M. Yusuf Mohamed

Posts: 450
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sphinx     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle Freiheit:
Standard of living rises? apparently you forgot how Communism works [Smile]

I have been using the NAPA chinese rotors with PFC 97s for a few years now and at first I didn't have really any problems and a set of rotors would last 5-6 weekends before the cracks would start. I have now gone through 2 sets of Fronts in 4-5 weekends. Me thinks I am either braking harder or I just got real lucky on the first set I bought. After my supply runs low, I may be looking for better rotors, its just tough when I get them for $11/rotor.

Kyle

Where the heck are you getting them for $11?!

--------------------
Sphinx Racing
Atlanta Region
http://www.sphinxracing.com
http://www.layersdesserts.com
Support our racing efforts by shopping at your favorite online merchants at SphinxRacing.com!

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver
Member

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Year : 1991
Posts: 311
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had some old OEM rotors turned down to .5mm of the stamped minimum. Cost me $30.

I'm just curious to see how long they'll last at that thickness.

I know it will depend on what pads I run. I think I want to try the PFCs.

If 16mm is the recommended minimum for street purposes, I'm wondering what we can get away with for racing. One could argue that we need more steel, since we are harder on the brakes as far as temperature and repeated heat cycles.

I don't want to take an unnecessary risk, just to have a little less rotating mass. Did I just throw away $30 and a pair of rotors?

Kyle Freiheit
Member

Region: NWR
Car #: #78 sorry Terrell
Year : 1992
Posts: 270
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Sphinx:
quote:
Originally posted by Kyle Freiheit:
Standard of living rises? apparently you forgot how Communism works [Smile]

I have been using the NAPA chinese rotors with PFC 97s for a few years now and at first I didn't have really any problems and a set of rotors would last 5-6 weekends before the cracks would start. I have now gone through 2 sets of Fronts in 4-5 weekends. Me thinks I am either braking harder or I just got real lucky on the first set I bought. After my supply runs low, I may be looking for better rotors, its just tough when I get them for $11/rotor.

Kyle

Where the heck are you getting them for $11?!
Napa business account, I can't remember if it is $11 for the fronts or the rears, but they were both real close in price and I know its less than $50 for all 4 rotors.

kyle

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Posts: 642
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll take 8.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Posts: 2000
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Try Parts Train dot com. Last I looked they had rotors for $13. Granted it's not $11... [Razz]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Kyle Freiheit
Member

Region: NWR
Car #: #78 sorry Terrell
Year : 1992
Posts: 270
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not as easy as running down to the store but looks like its a pretty common price for the cheapo rotors.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.ph...=1896&a=FRc1190900k391458

Kyle

Alberto M Goncalves
Member

Region: SFR
Year : 1990
Posts: 81
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alberto M Goncalves     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by jatterbu:
Call up the guys at StopTech, their parent company is Centric Parts which produces OE replacement rotors that I have used for the last 2 years with no cracks or problems whatsoever. Centric also is the parent company of Powerslot, they are big time and know their stuff.

+1

Great rotors

   

   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: