Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Transmission fluid fill port - torture trick or what?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Transmission fluid fill port - torture trick or what?
Brandon F. Verified Driver

Region: NNJR
Car #: 48
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon F.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well, decided to do a tranny/differential fluid change and ended up with a fluid-swapped differential and an empty transmission.

How in the %$^@# do you put fluid in this sum'b!tch**?!

I figure I'll need some form of fluid pump regardless so that's the avenue I'll be pursuing in the meantime but if others have some suggestions on how they're doing it, I'm all ears.

One thought I had was drilling a hold in the transmission tunnel (to be plugged w/a body plug) that's at about the same point of the fill hole. Snake a hose through the hole into the transmission and fill it from within the cabin.

Obviously this would require someone underneath watching for overfill but it's at least better than trying to contort yourself under the car to hold a bottle properly to empty into the car.

Thanks in advance everyone,
Brandon

** And after being under the car w/only ramps and a stripped filler plug that's a technical term for the transmission! [Wink] [rolling on floor laughin]

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The hole and snake method is what I did.

Unless your snake is long enough, you may still have to contort yourself in the cockpit.

PS: I realize I'm opening myself up to glory hole and other jokes. I'm just bored since the Member input thread seems to have died down.

thewolf

Icon 1 posted  Profile for thewolf   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I found a clear funnel at one of the Autozone/Advance type places. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessor...+funnel&brandName=Hopkins To make it work for the tranny, take the supplied hose off and replace it with a longer hose. Put the funnel between the valve cover and the master cylinder so it sits vertical, feed the hose between the exhaust down tube and the tranny. Cut the hose to length, take the cap end from the supplied hose stick it in the new hose backwards and clap it on. Jam that end in the tranny fill hole and fill it up.

--------------------
Mark
http://www.p1-2day.com
The source for indoor karting
http://www.driverelement.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon F.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cool - good to know I'm not totally stupid when it comes to this stuff.

I miss the days of big V-8 engine bays with only a slant-6 bolted up and dipsticks for all fluids...

[Big Grin]

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just bought one of those cheapie fluid pumps, snake one end into the fill plug and the other into the fluid bottle. The guy at the auto parts store said it wouln't work. He was wrong. Put hose clamps on the tubes though otherwise the hoses will pop off due to the pressure and blow tranny fluid all over you.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

All of the above are fine, but, I am cheap and lazy so I just bought a length of clear hose about 1/2 inch diameter 4 feet long and a funnel that would fit into it. Gravity does the work and overfill is not an issue as you will see the flow stop. Pull the hose and drain it into an oil catch pan under the car. Have done it many times, ya just need a little patience and about 2 quarts of tranny oil. Also, don't forget the turrette!

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I saw this guy at the track do his dif and tranny in a about 20mins with this and his cordless drill. $6.95 plus some fitting for a 1/2" hose.
http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Plumbi...eId=10051&catalogId=10053
J~

[ 10-27-2009, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Johnny D ]

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

sweet!, it fits both my requirements, cheap and lazy!

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Big fluid syringe is what I use. Works well for the trans and rear diff.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Next stupid question(s) for this thread:

Part number of the fill plug?

And is it really a 4-sided head best suited to a crescent wrench for R&R?

Do you guys use any sealant on the threads as recommended by the service manual?
If so, any standard RTV silicone 'gasket maker'?

TIA again...

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For a '95 it's 9950-24-000F. Probably the same for all years but I couldn't say. I don't use sealant on the threads and it doesn't leak on my car.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Ralliboy Verified Driver
Rock Star

Region: WDC/ Houston
Car #: 33
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ralliboy   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I used this. I replaced the long wand with a hose. It's slow but spill proof.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ66xgp/R-1006...eId=10051&catalogId=10053

--------------------
Randy Ramos

http://WWW.MeatheadRacing.com

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Big crescent wrench works well on the fill plug. No need to use any sealant. And don't screw it in too tight or it's a b1tch to loosen the next time.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Rye

Region: CACC British Columbia
Car #: 34
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've been using something similar to this for years, works like a big syringe.

http://www.bosstoolsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=11976

They are available at pretty much any auto parts store.

Richard

Pack Fodder

Considering people have come up with a number of simple tools and others might want to experiment with things they have handy, DON'T try a turkey baster unless you want to wear a turkey baster full of trans fluid. [nope] The bulb pops off in spectacular fashion.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

JST #16 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Detroit
Car #: GLD. # 16
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JST #16     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I use the same method as Tony. Long piece of hose and a funnel. Just remove the rubber shifter boot and you can run the hose right down to the fill hole.

--------------------
Jeff Thompson
SM #16 - Detroit Region
Great Lake Division

scott adams

Region: sjr
Car #: emra 91
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for scott adams     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

used to use the syringe type

but been using a Harbor Freight pump for three years, very easy and clean and fast to use

I have a few for different jobs- the oil one still working great after 3 years

I stocked up on them when on sale for 4 dollars- the best ones have clear hose if you can find them

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66418

fastbrewer

Region: Utah
Car #: 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fastbrewer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by scott adams:
used to use the syringe type

but been using a Harbor Freight pump for three years, very easy and clean and fast to use

I have a few for different jobs- the oil one still working great after 3 years

I stocked up on them when on sale for 4 dollars- the best ones have clear hose if you can find them

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66418

I use the same HF pump. In fact I did my Diff and Transmission lat Saturday and had both drained and filled in less than 20 minutes. Next onto the engine oil and I had swapped all three in 30 minutes.
One of those pumps will draw fairly decent volumes from the oil bottle on each pump (maybe 8-10 pumps per qt.)

Also I have another of these pumps that I use in the gas tank when I want to drain it for corner balancing.

-Jon

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

One of the neatest tricks I've seen is a about a 4' long piece of 1/2" PVC pipe with a 90 degree elbow at the end, into which is glued about a 1.5" stub of PVC pipe. That stub slides into the side plug opening. The rig is inserted under the hood beside the head pipe and a funnel is inserted in the top. Pour in the oil, it runs down the PVC into the tranny.

Personally, I have a plunger pump that threads on a standard gallon bottle that delivers an ounce per stroke. I pour the oil into the gallon and pump away.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Dave Lewis

Region: detroit
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Lewis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

5/8" twelve point socket for my fill plug. No need to gorilla it on either.

Jerry Cabe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Cincy / Great Lakes Div
Car #: 10
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jerry Cabe   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Qik Nip:
One of the neatest tricks I've seen is a about a 4' long piece of 1/2" PVC pipe with a 90 degree elbow at the end, into which is glued about a 1.5" stub of PVC pipe. That stub slides into the side plug opening. The rig is inserted under the hood beside the head pipe and a funnel is inserted in the top. Pour in the oil, it runs down the PVC into the tranny.

Personally, I have a plunger pump that threads on a standard gallon bottle that delivers an ounce per stroke. I pour the oil into the gallon and pump away.
Rick

You must have seen that in the Mr. Excitement paddock like me. It looked very slick, but I have never made one. I used the "stroker pump" for a couple years until my girlfriend threw it away while I had it draining. After that I bought a large volume pump that only takes two or three strokes per quart. Harder to pump, but a lot less strokes.

Jerry

--------------------
Just driving SM until the F-1 car is ready.

panic motorsports Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: SCR
Car #: 90
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for panic motorsports   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cool!!! (hurrying to throw away his syringe style and find $7)

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny D:
I saw this guy at the track do his dif and tranny in a about 20mins with this and his cordless drill. $6.95 plus some fitting for a 1/2" hose.
http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Plumbi...eId=10051&catalogId=10053
J~

--------------------
Steve and Becca Bertok
#90 SM 2008/2009 Carolina Cup Pro Series SM champions.
2010 VIR 13 hour enduro victorious! www.panicmotorsports.com
Need a salvage Miata part? We've got that!

Jarhead Made Donation to Website

Region: 34
Car #: 89,90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jarhead     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This coming from a guy who prides himself on being able to put fluid in any hole in any configuration.

--------------------
Problem Solved/ReelScreensSE/RE Power

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Cabe:
quote:
Originally posted by Qik Nip:

Rick

You must have seen that in the Mr. Excitement paddock like me. It looked very slick, but I have never made one. I used the "stroker pump" for a couple years until my girlfriend threw it away while I had it draining. After that I bought a large volume pump that only takes two or three strokes per quart. Harder to pump, but a lot less strokes.

Jerry

Yep. Actually it was Mr. Excitement's brother Roger.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

suck fumes Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 75
Year : 3rd in the nation
Icon 1 posted  Profile for suck fumes     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just go to academy in the marine section and get a fluid pump that actually screws onto the bottle and put the hose in the tranny Its only $10

--------------------
THAT JUST HAPPENED!!! -RickyBobby-

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: