Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Donor car issues

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Donor car issues
CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I picked up another 99 a few weeks ago and have begun to tear into it. The plan is to use the tub and rear subframe from the car and not much else. My old car will be donating all the good parts minus the shortened tub and bent rear subframe (boohoo).

The new car has some rust issues at the rear of the rockers, so I was planning to wire wheel that off, hit it with some POR15 and then rattle can it to match the rest of the car. I've been soaking all the suspension bolts with liquid wrench for the last week, and will continue to do so until I begin to dismantle the underbelly of the car sometime in the next month.

I ran into a snag last night. This thing had a wheel lock on one stud per corner. I got three of them off alright, but the 4th bent up the inside of the key and now it won't slide onto the locking lug anymore. It's one of those lugs with the strange wavy pattern in the end, not a splinedrive setup. How should I go about getting the wheel lock off the stud? I have no idea who the lock nut manufacturer is. I do have air tools at home. Think it's possible to split the locknut with an air hammer? I don't care if the stud underneath gets mangled since I'll be using the running gear from my old car.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

heat the lug nut first with torch or butane tank, then air chisel and it should come loose.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

davecarama Verified Driver

Region: NE
Year : Blue 1997 & Red 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davecarama   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It is most likely a Mazda piece. If so, they keep a box of the keys in the service center and may be able to allow you to borrow the kit, in their care, to remove your locking lug.

I've also heard of people taking a socket JUST a tad larger than the locklug and banging it onto the lug with a hammer and then just screwing it off (throwing away the lug and socket).

There are other things, but since I lost my lock key back in 99, I have never put the things back on the car [Wink]

Dave

cnewman Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 86
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cnewman   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you have a welder,grind the chrome off of a slightly larger-than-the-lug socket and the lug, weld the socket to the lug,back it off, and throw it away.

--------------------
Chuck Newman

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just weld the 'key' to the nut or use a chisel. I've gotten many of those off by hitting it with a chisel. Obviously a shot of heat helps to break the rust/torque that's holding it down.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You probably already know this but make sure the other 3 lug nuts are on good and tight when you're removing the problem one. That helps to take the tension off the stuck nut.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

David Luney Verified Driver

Region: ATL
Car #: 29-Killed
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Luney     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have put a 3/4 nut on the locking lug and set the MIG on high to weld it on the inside of the 3/4 nut. That also adds the heat, I use a heat shield with a 1 inch hole to protect the wheel from splatter. I also have a locking lug nut remover socket that works 90% of the time. Its like a mega reverse easy out.

NGANEER Verified Driver

Car #: 07
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NGANEER     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Look here for a tool specifically designed for your problem: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&too...=snapon-store&dir=catalog

It is basically just a tapered socket for your impact. Works great every time.

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Same thing from Sears and cheaper!
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947392000P?mv=rr

--------------------
Paul McLester

oem steve

Region: South East
Car #: #92
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for oem steve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

you can try leaving off the 3 lugs and roll the car around for a little bit allowing the wheel to rock back and forth on the hub. It might just loosen it up enough to get it off.

--------------------
email: standrewsexpress@bellsouth.net
visit us at http://www.standrewsexpress.com

Under powered and under driven

CP Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks guys. The Mazda dealer was a no-go. I'm going to attack it with heat and my air chisel tonight. I think it's going to get ugly ;^)

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Try a regular chisel first! Put it at an angle to cut and lift a 'burr' and then tilt the chisel to a more tangential angle and push against the burr. I got 4 locks off a donor car this way.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Weld on a square piece of stock to the wheel lock, then you can wrench it off.
J~

CP Verified Driver

It's ugly and what's left of the nut is still on the stud. I'm taking a break for a few days while I head to the track with the other car ;^)

--------------------
-Cy

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by CP:
It's ugly and what's left of the nut is still on the stud. I'm taking a break for a few days while I head to the track with the other car ;^)

I would echo those above that have suggested welding up a tool or the lug its self. If you don't own a welder it is a must have shop tool. You can pick up a decent little MIG rig cheap and you will be amazed at all the ways it comes in handy...

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

CP Verified Driver

Just gonna unbolt the entire corner and deal with it next year. I can still get to the axle nut, so I think I'm good to go.

--------------------
-Cy

CP Verified Driver

Next step is to try the Craftsman kit that was linked above. I mangled the lock AND the wheel pretty good last night playing around with that air hammer. DOH!

--------------------
-Cy

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How about drilling down the center or near center of the stud unitll the nut falls in your hand?

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We had a similar issue and got it off with a hole saw, just bigger than the stud and drilled it off the stud. Sounds crazy but it worked.

Pat

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

oem steve

Region: South East
Car #: #92
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for oem steve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I agree with david just drill out the center start with a small bit and work your way up until it falls off, makes sense saves everything except the stud and lug

--------------------
email: standrewsexpress@bellsouth.net
visit us at http://www.standrewsexpress.com

Under powered and under driven

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I tried to drill a stud out the way david suggests, easier said than done. Try it maybe you will fair better than I.

Pat

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

benauto

Region: ner
Car #: 05
SMIM: SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for benauto     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

CY- are you looking to save the wheel? If not cut it. (with the torch.) If you are not one with the flame wrench I would be glad to walk you through it. It is an art. This is a daily practice for me . Not a big deal. Give me a call.

--------------------
LTD Racing- Stuntman
"Blue Plate Specials"

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: