Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » 99 build problem

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: 99 build problem
Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I bought a 99 with a blown engine for 1K.
It overheated. Removed the interior. Al Angulo replaced the engine and radiator, We're not getting spark.
Fuel pump works when bypassed, changed coil pack and PCM. Lights on the dash come on.
Anything we're supposed to leave plugged in out of the wiring harness that you would normally not worry about in a 1.6? What are we missing???
Johnny

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

crank sensor??? Adjusted correctly?

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

Hot Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I replaced the crank sensor, not sure how perfect I adjusted it.

The PCM isn't doing anything to turn on/off like the fuel pump or give spark. That's why we replaced the PCM but still nothing.

Shop Teacher

Region: SF Nor Cal
Car #: #39
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ok im helping John with the car and here is what we have. He purchased the car NOT running. The radiator was cracked and the engine full of water. John gutted the interior down to the fire wall and had TC Design install a cage. I got the car and installed a replacement engine. When we went to start the car it didnít start. I checked fuel pressure and spark, we have neither. The fuel pump realy is getting power and the main relay is getting power long story short is everything is getting power but the ECU wont command anything to activate. We replaced the coil pack, crank poison sensor, ECU. Ive jumped the fuel pump relay and got it to work but with no spark or active injectors it wont start. The dash is still out of the vehicle and there are at least 15 connectors that donít have a home. One harness is cut off altogether, I think it might be the radio. We have the instrument panel plugged in and it is working. we are now thinking of a new harness. If any of you have built a 99 spec could you PM me? Any help would be great.
AL

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

mdavis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Southwest
Car #: 45
Year : 1991-sold,95,99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mdavis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Man that sound like a ground wire to me. Electrical gremlins stink.

--------------------
Matthew F. Davis
Texas Region SCCA

Shop Teacher

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

there are three ground wires that the ECU uses to turn sensors on and there are grounded at the engine.

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

-Bob-

Icon 1 posted  Profile for -Bob-     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just worked through a starting issue with no spark. The black rubber surrounding the orange plug had come forward and was keeping the connection from being made for the crank sensor.

Thought I'd throw that out there...

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Check the big fuses under the hood on the pass side?

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

Shop Teacher

big fuse is ok . Major problem is no injector drive. no ecu comands. Found out that everything runs through the instrument cluster. I am going to try a differant cluster. When I worked at Ford they are the same way, they wont start without the cluster pulged in. Keep your input coming we are going to figure this out.
AL

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The cluster is not the problem for sure

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Jarhead Made Donation to Website

Region: 34
Car #: 89,90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jarhead     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You can run the car all day with out the cluster. Look at all your grounds. I would highly suspect the one just behind the passenger headlight on the top of the frame rail. It has 4 or five ground wires attached to a common block. These wires come from the fuse/relay panel that is located on the passenger wheel well.

--------------------
Problem Solved/ReelScreensSE/RE Power

NER88 Verified Driver

Region: ner
Car #: 88
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NER88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Try another relay.

--------------------
Jerry

Jonathan Christian Verified Driver

Region: south pacific
Car #: 31
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jonathan Christian   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There is a fuse under the dash, i believe its a 10 amp, that is just labeled engine i believe, if thats blown you will have no spark.

BERG Racer Verified Driver

Region: NER
Icon 1 posted  Profile for BERG Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There is a ground wire at the TB that if not connected will keep all of the motor functions in check. Everything else will work. Also check the ground under the TB that attaches to the support bracket between the upper and lower intake.

--------------------
http://www.bergmotorsports.com/index.php

TimBuck Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
I'll believe it when I believe it.

Region: CalClub
Car #: 44
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TimBuck   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Faulty ignition switch?

--------------------
Tim Buck

MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development
Mazda North American Operations
phone (800) 435-2508
fax (949) 222-2650

zoom-zoom!

Shop Teacher

quote:
Originally posted by Jarhead:
You can run the car all day with out the cluster. Look at all your grounds. I would highly suspect the one just behind the passenger headlight on the top of the frame rail. It has 4 or five ground wires attached to a common block. These wires come from the fuse/relay panel that is located on the passenger wheel well.

Just took a look at the ground wires behind the head light and its ok.

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Shop Teacher

the engine fuse has power through it

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jarhead     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Check for continuity at the ground. It can look good and still not be. I had to cut the grounding block off and re-ground everything at that point to make it run. Chased my tail for three days.

--------------------

gt40jim

Region: Steel Cities
Icon 1 posted  Profile for gt40jim     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just random thoughts, have you looked for rpm thru the obdII connector with a scan tool? Have ya pinned out ecu power and ground inputs, how about looking for ac voltage on crank angle sensor input to ecu? I love my lab scope! ECU failures are rare on 99's Jim Locke

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This will sound strange.. But put a good battery in the car, it can't be weak at at all. I have had numerous issues jumping these cars. I have never got my mind around what is going on, but no less than 5 times, a freshly charged battery installation solved my non start problem. Using the jump feature on the battery charger while it seemed to turn the cars over with no poblem, they would never start.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim, what is going on is that the ecm needs x amount of volts to operate. With a weak battery or a starter that draws too much it doesn't leave enough going to the ecm to kick in.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

MegaModerator

Agree, not quite sure why it does that even when turning over pretty well and with booster? But I see it all the time?

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

gt40jim

Region: Steel Cities
Icon 1 posted  Profile for gt40jim     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Could it be that Charlie is correct regarding the slow crank thing and with the booster it could be different that is I know that some boosters on a high current setting will bleed some alternating current thru and hose up some processors. Maybe that is why no start on booster???

Hot Member

We had a good battery with the charger / boost attached. Had no slow crank just no spark

oem steve

Region: South East
Car #: #92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for oem steve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

did the car have an alarm system? could be disabling the spark

--------------------
email: standrewsexpress@bellsouth.net
visit us at http://www.standrewsexpress.com

Under powered and under driven

Hot Member

It did. It was spliced into the harness and has been removed, also appears to have had a amp. Were looking at a new harness.

oem steve

Icon 1 posted  Profile for oem steve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

also not sure about the 99 but my friends 01 has a key that is coded to the computer

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by oem steve:
also not sure about the 99 but my friends 01 has a key that is coded to the computer

Not a factor on the 99.

--------------------

Shop Teacher

we put a new battery in it and it still wont start. Keep in mine we dont have ANY ECU comands, no fuel pump no spark, no energizing of the mail relay. The 3 ground wires from the ECU are grounded along with the one behind the RF head light. ECU has power to it and all fuses are a go.

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Adam Romito 42

Region: Southeast
Car #: 42
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Adam Romito 42     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ok so im gonna put my two cents in...... Had this same problem with my 99. Turn the key, no fire and no fuel pump. The solution was to plug the big blue plug up under the dash and make sure you have all the plugs plugged up correctly and they click in! Try this and hope ya get it running!

Hot Member

Adam, Which blue connector? The Air Bag Crash Sensor Unit was removed when the rollbar was put in.
J~

Shop Teacher

there are two blue connectors one to the air bag sensor and the other one is a mojor junction box. the air bag one is NOT connected

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny D:
It did. It was spliced into the harness and has been removed, also appears to have had a amp. Were looking at a new harness.

The alarms don't just splice in, they have relays that cut several major power points in the car. Are all the relays removed? Are the wires that were cut to put the relays in repaired?

1. Does the power wire to the injectors have 12V on in when the engine is turning over and when the key is in the 'run' and 'start' positions? It is the white/blue wire that comes from the main relay. Also check the black/white wire that is shared between the two ignition coils.

2. Does the RED wire with the black stripe coming out of the ignition switch have 12V on it when the key is in 'run' position? Without this connection, the starter will engage, but there will be no spark nor injection. This is a very common wire to be cut when putting in an alarm.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Hot Member

Al just checked the wires. They all have power or are grounded. The wht comes on in the start position.
J~

Future Never Has Been

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny D:
Al just checked the wires. They all have power or are grounded. The wht comes on in the start position.
J~

If any of them read grounded, the car will not start. They must have 12V on them when the key is in the 'run' position.

--------------------

Hot Member

Kent I sent you a PM.
J~

Shop Teacher

none of them are grounded. they all have 12v the white and red wire is hot in the crank posision

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Shop Teacher

looks like Johnny has some parts he took off the vehicle before he brought it to me. ill have the parts tommorow. some are relays that have Ford logos on them.

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Future Never Has Been

Johnny sent me a picture of those relays and they are not mazda.... they look like part of the alarm system to me.

The key in my mind is that if the main relay isn't clicking when the key is turned to the RUN position, the black/white wire that activates the relay is cut (which is usually part of an alarm install).

--------------------

Shop Teacher

Ok Ok we got it and now IT RUNS! It only took 500 man hours. It came down to some of the harness was missing. I know more about 99 Miatas then I ever want to know. Thank you all for your input. I just wasnt going to let this one beat me.
AL

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Hot Member

Al, Now that the car didn't beat you. Lets see if I can, LOL.
Thanks alot everyone for there inputs and a special thanks to you Al for sticking with it.
J~

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Shop Teacher:
Ok Ok we got it and now IT RUNS! It only took 500 man hours. It came down to some of the harness was missing. I know more about 99 Miatas then I ever want to know. Thank you all for your input. I just wasnt going to let this one beat me.
AL

Well that's not fair, you didnt tell me you left parts out?
[Eek!]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Shop Teacher:
AL

Well that's not fair, you didnt tell me you left parts out?
[Eek!]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Shop Teacher

Hey i wasnt told either. It felt like a knife in my gut to see a part of the harness on the new one that the old one didnt have. I wont fall for that one again.

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

oem steve

you might want to look into other ways to save weight than cutting wires. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Hot Member

Hey, the car looked good for $1k. He said it was his commuter car. Over heated on the way to work. Had an oil change sticker from earlier this year.
I should of known, always count how many wires are under the dash before you buy, next time.
J~

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: