Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Rust - how much is too much

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Rust - how much is too much
Alberto M Goncalves

Region: SFR
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alberto M Goncalves     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hi. I have an early 90 base model Miata w/ OEM hardtop that I am contemplating building to SM specs. Car is completely straight and in good overall condition (other than paint). There is some rust on the rocker panels (under the doors). I'm trying to determine if its too much rust to bother fixing and building a race car out of.

Anyone have any thoughts or pictures that can serve as examples to guide me in determining if this is worth it?

I'd post pics but the car inaccessible right now.

Thanks.

Alberto M Goncalves

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alberto M Goncalves     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Also, any thoughts on how much it would cost to repair/replace the rockers would be good to know.

Thanks.

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Alberto.
Are we talking rust holes or surface corrosion? Also, the fact that it has a hard top can mitigate in favor of buying it no matter how bad the rust at the right price.

You can always part it out and keep the top if it's really cheap (like $1,200 or less).
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Look in the trunk under the carpet for cancer too. It can get pretty bad under there and you don't want your battery coming loose. I've seen amazing things done with rust buckets but you want to know what you're in for up front.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Alberto M Goncalves

quote:
Originally posted by Qik Nip:
Alberto.
Are we talking rust holes or surface corrosion? Also, the fact that it has a hard top can mitigate in favor of buying it no matter how bad the rust at the right price.

You can always part it out and keep the top if it's really cheap (like $1,200 or less).
Rick

Some small holes. Most of it seems like surface corrosion.

Is it that expensive to cut and replace the rockers that you'd consider not going forward with it?

The trunk is fine. No rust there.

oem steve

Region: South East
Car #: #92
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for oem steve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

you kidding me, rust holes in a early 90's that will just make it easier to come in on weight. I'm thinking of dipping mine in salt water for a while

--------------------
email: standrewsexpress@bellsouth.net
visit us at http://www.standrewsexpress.com

Under powered and under driven

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Alberto, is this rust midwest rust or is the rust southwest rust. Where has the car spent it's life.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Alberto M Goncalves

NY / Long Island

The rust came about from being stored/parked outside sitting in snow over the last couple of winters.

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rust on the rocker isn't uncommon on these cars. The drain for the soft top goes through there and they get plugged up sometimes and you get some rust. My donor had that issue and a little bit of fab, welding, bondo, etc fixed it and never been an issue since.

You can do a search on Miata.net for more info on the issue.

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Alberto M Goncalves

quote:
Originally posted by Casey Z:
Rust on the rocker isn't uncommon on these cars. The drain for the soft top goes through there and they get plugged up sometimes and you get some rust. My donor had that issue and a little bit of fab, welding, bondo, etc fixed it and never been an issue since.

You can do a search on Miata.net for more info on the issue.

Yep. That was one of the causes of the problem. I'll search on Miata.net. Didn't even think of that. I'm not on that forum much.

How much did it cost to fix?

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Alberto M Goncalves:
How much did it cost to fix?

Nothing really, just a little bit of effort on my part and a few supplies.

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rocker panel repair patches are available from BTDT racing. I am sure Blake will chime in soon

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: