Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Front transmission shim

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Front transmission shim
Jeff Longo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NER
Car #: 46
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Longo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I removed the front cover which holds the front trans seal on my 93. Mazda P/N 16-220 "cover, front clutch". The shim apparently spun and was partly crunched up like an accordion. I see that Mazda offers 3 different sizes / thicknesses. Can someone please shed a little light on the shim? How do you determine which thickness is required? Installation tips? I did a search on front trans shim and did not find answers. Thank you in advance for your help. Jeff

--------------------
LTD Racing
Chief Of Inappropriate Comments

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If the shim is "crunched like an accordian" somebody has been in there before. The shim fits in a recess in the front housing. It is easy for it to fall out of place when reinstalling the housing. I use a couple small daps of RTV to hold the shim in place on reassembly.

Measure the shim thickness with a micrometer and order the same thickness. Unless you are changing the bearings, you can use the same thickness shim.

Dave
7 trans's rebuilt in November
6 more to go

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Jeff Longo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NER
Car #: 46
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Longo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the quick reply Dave.

--------------------
LTD Racing
Chief Of Inappropriate Comments

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: