Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Katrina SM

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Katrina SM
dirtynola

Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dirtynola     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hi everyone, my name is dave and I live in New Orleans. I don't really have the money, the time or the experience to build an sm, but I'm gonna try anyway. I've been reading the forum for a few months now and have found tons of great info. I'm sure I'll have lots of specific questions once I start turning wrenches, but I thought I would get some general input and advice on how to start my slightly different build situation...
I think some of you probably know my dad Tom Quinlan. He built and raced a white sm out of Mandeville, LA. Well his car was flooded up to the dash During Katrina and has sat in the garage since. He thought about rebuilding it for awhile, but has decided to buy a vintage formula ford instead. So I have inherited the sm project. I decided it would be easier to buy a donor and then salvage as much as I could from my dad's car. I was living in Athens, GA when my dad built the car, so I don't know that much about it. I do know he put a motor built by someone out of Lafayette in it right before it flooded. I think he drove it around the block once. It has a mazdaspeed rear diff. a bolt in cage (no nascar bars), and two sets of wheels and tires.
I picked up a good runner from Houston for $1300. So I guess it is on. Will post pics soon.

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good luck on the build!

--------------------
Paul McLester

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Welcome. the first thing you want to think about is getting rid of the bolt in cage and install a solid welded in cage.

Good luck, have fun

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

simbone Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Colorado
Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for simbone     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was outside of Covington for Katrina. Fortunately my SM was high and dry in the trailer. Live in Colorado now. Gook luck with the build. There are several SM guys in LA that I'm sure you can hook up with. Good size SM fields at No Problem Raceway for their winter series.

--------------------
Blue Velour Racing

dirtynola

Icon 1 posted  Profile for dirtynola     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[img]Photobucket[img]

dirtynola

oops... should have made that smaller.

thanks guys.

yeah would like to do that, but money is an issue. was hoping to maybe modify the "free" cage to get on the track and then replace later. Is there a way to beef up a bolt in? I have a welder friend that owes me a favor.

dirtynola

[img]Photobucket[img]

dirtynola

[img]Photobucket[img]

dirtynola

[img]Photobucket[img]

Jeff Longo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NER
Car #: 46
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Longo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Let's start with welcome and best of luck with your endeavor.
As you may have read in earlier posts, the one place NOT to scrimp is safety.
Budget your build wisely.
Drive fast, be safe.

--------------------
LTD Racing
Chief Of Inappropriate Comments

Juan Pineda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 34
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by dirtynola:
Hi everyone, my name is dave and I live in New Orleans. I don't really have the money, the time or the experience to build an sm, but I'm gonna try anyway.

Hey Dave, Welcome! I think your description fit most of us when we got started. Probably a good call to start with a new donor. You'd probably chasing electrical problems forever if you tried to run the flooded car. Keep it for parts -- subframes, fenders, doors, etc. Maybe the drive train parts are still usable. BTW, I've raced against cars that looked worse than your pictures. [Smile]

-Juan

--------------------
www.ArtOfRoadRacing.com Race Craft Clinic - Thunderhill - 30 Jan 2011

dirtynola

quote:
Let's start with welcome and best of luck with your endeavor.
As you may have read in earlier posts, the one place NOT to scrimp is safety.
Budget your build wisely.
Drive fast, be safe.

thanks... yeah I don't want to risk my safty but if the cage that I have can be made as strong for less money then I want to consider that.
quote:
Hey Dave, Welcome! I think your description fit most of us when we got started. Probably a good call to start with a new donor. You'd probably chasing electrical problems forever if you tried to run the flooded car. Keep it for parts -- subframes, fenders, doors, etc. Maybe the drive train parts are still usable. BTW, I've raced against cars that looked worse than your pictures.
Thanks. I'm hoping to salvage the suspension and rear differential

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Welcome. I am in Madisonville so holler if you need any help. From the pics I would definitely get a new cage. The front vertical bars need to be moved for a start - your legs will thank you. Come on out to Circuit Grand Bayou (the old No Problem track) this Sunday. It is the grand opening (third race of the season) and the SMs are the featured race.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Welcome! I too started with a flood car that was submerged halfway up the doors down in Key West. I never had ANY electircal problems and daily drove it on the street for 4 months with the flood motor. The oil pump failed and I replaced it with a crate motor since. The car looks good other than that cage. Get a good one welded in, as others have mentioned. Good luck and feel free to ask away as you go.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Region: SFR
Car #: 82/73
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think you're going to spend more to get that thing in running condition than buying one that has not been flooded. Just my opinion.

Good luck!

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

dirtynola

quote:
Welcome. I am in Madisonville so holler if you need any help. From the pics I would definitely get a new cage. The front vertical bars need to be moved for a start - your legs will thank you. Come on out to Circuit Grand Bayou (the old No Problem track) this Sunday. It is the grand opening (third race of the season) and the SMs are the featured race.
Thanks, Lee. I think I'll try to make it out there. Who should I talk to locally about a cage?
quote:
Welcome! I too started with a flood car that was submerged halfway up the doors down in Key West. I never had ANY electircal problems and daily drove it on the street for 4 months with the flood motor. The oil pump failed and I replaced it with a crate motor since. The car looks good other than that cage. Get a good one welded in, as others have mentioned. Good luck and feel free to ask away as you go.
thanks! that is comforting to hear.
quote:
I think you're going to spend more to get that thing in running condition than buying one that has not been flooded. Just my opinion.

Yeah... I'm salvaging as much as i can of the white flooded sm and using the parts to build a different running car that I've already purchased. I'm looking for tips on what things would be worth salvaging. So far it looks like the cage is out.

Chris Taylor

Region: LSR
Car #: Yours?
Year : will race 4 food
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Taylor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mazda electrics are surprisingly robust when it comes to water. I bought 2 cars from the salvage auction after Katrina, and even with shipping (which 5 years ago was PRICEY, these days it wouldn't run much more than a local tow) it was cheaper to buy those than a wreck locally.

I ended up running the coil pack from the 1.6 car on my street car, the AFM was tried on a friends' car and worked, headlights, tail lights and dash all have been tested as working or swapped out on other cars -- don't worry about throwing it all away just label it as being flooded in case you need it later.

The engine, diff, and tranny will be fine unless they've had water in them. Diff is most likely to have water in it, especially if it stayed submerged for a while, engines are hit or miss. If the oil level is normal you've likely got a good backup engine. If its way over full you can take it apart and see if anythings salvageable... but if there's no rust on the cams you'd at least have a serviceable head.

--------------------
http://www.taylorrotorsports.com

jj15ball

Region: SE
Car #: 15
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jj15ball     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you know a good welder and can use a grinder, I would suggest getting Dave Wheeler's cage kit. I bought the basic kit and sourced the straight tubing and plate material myself. Then I bought another set of door bars from Dave about a year later. I installed the main hoop, rear down tubes, and front of the cage in about 2 weekends. Then I ran the car for a year before I put in the door bars on both sides (gutting the doors). Dave does not skimp on his cages 1 5/8" by .095 wall is beyond the minimum requirements. I'm 185 lbs and I have to add 25 lbs plus a gallon of gas to make weight in my 90'. My cost for the kit and tubing was around $750. Best investment I made and it gives taller guys alot more room then the other cages I have seen.

--------------------
Jason Ball

dirtynola

quote:
Diff is most likely to have water in it, especially if it stayed submerged for a while
I'm hoping to use the rear diff. Should I rebuild it?
quote:
I would suggest getting Dave Wheeler's cage kit
Yeah... I'm convinced. the deluxe kit is $750. I'm thinking I'll buy that one. My friend is a good welder, but I don't think he's ever built a cage before. should I look for someone else? can anyone recommend someone in Louisiana?

jj15ball

Region: SE
Car #: 15
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jj15ball     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dave gives you step by step instructions for installing the cage with pictures. And he can answer any of your questions by phone. It was not very hard, just a lot of grinding (didn't have a tubing notcher). I would recommend MIG welding, or TIG but MIG is much easier. The hardest parts are welding around the main roll hoop base connections, the door bars to the main roll hoop, and the cross braces in the trunk.

--------------------
Jason Ball

dirtynola

This is the running car that will be getting the make over... It made the drive from Houston to New Orleans with no problems.
[image]Photobucket[/image]

klanasa

Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for klanasa     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dave - Welcome. My name is Keith LaNasa and I live in Baton Rouge so give me a call if you need any help (225.405.0225). The engine builder that you made reference to out of Lafayette is Stan Cosper and he is an excellent miata builder and I depend on Stan for all of my setup work/mechanical needs. There is a custom cage builder in Westwego that can modify your existing cage, i.e. weld on new bars and weld it into the new car.

Like Lee Tilton (Team Four), I will also be out at the Circuit Grand Bayou (the old No Problem track) all weekend (Friday-Sunday) racing spec miata's. Feel free to look me up at the track this weekend.

You can also contact Chris Wilkins (Kenner) for support with your car. Your dad will have Chris's contact info.

http://www.circuitgrandbayou.com

dirtynola

Kieth - Thanks, I look forward to meeting you. Do you have any contact info for the guy in Westwego?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: