next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Bad HLA

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Bad HLA
dsrgr Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Las Vegas
Car #: 2
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dsrgr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Coming on to final straight, engine rattling noise with loss of power. Pulled off line and car would die at idle but seemed to run and not be hurting anything. Drove last bit to pits and parked. Started it long enough to let others hear and it seemed to be coming from the top end.

Brought it home. It starts but requires you to keep giving it gas to keep running. Still loud clacking noise from top somewhere. Pulled valve cover and all looks well. Springs look ok and valve stems visible. Plugs all show the same discolor. Correct brown. Compression check with cheap HF is 125,130,140, and 150. I don't trust the HF but at least they all have compression. Kept it running for about 30 secs to check temp of the header and all pipes show temp.

Is this the symptom of a collapsed HLA? Would that cause it to die at idle? I hate to pull engine/trans if it's a simple top end fix...... Suggestions???

Bob Thornton - Race Engineering Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. - Sir Winston Churchill

Region: Central Carolina
Car #: 48
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bob Thornton - Race Engineering   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Don't think that is's a HLA, Is sounds like a rod bearing.
Look at the oil and see if it is black and smells burnt.
The noise is most likely the piston hitting the head because the bearing is gone.
Feel free to call and I will try and help more 704 202 5551
Thanks

--------------------
Bob Thornton
http://www.raceengineering.org
Race Engineering Championship Winning Engines

Icon 1 posted  Profile for dsrgr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks very much Bob....

Dave Lewis

Region: detroit
Car #: 17
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Lewis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Had a friend with an FP Miata with a noisy lifter, we thought. Turned out to be a spun bearing. Listen to Bob.

Thanks Dave..... I intend to..... Time to pull the engine and put in spare. Pull this one apart.... Appreciate the comment....

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: