Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » 17" Ultra Shield Seat Question

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: 17" Ultra Shield Seat Question
WRX.357

Region: Northeast
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for WRX.357     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Will a 17 inch Ultrashield Spec Miata seat fit in a '96 without taking a sledge hammer to the transmission tunnel? [Smash]

jbenoit28 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: CFR
Car #: 28
SMIM: .
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jbenoit28     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes you don't need a sledge hammer, just a torch and a welder [Smile]

Ask Jeff w/Autotechnik about it. They did mine on sliders and it's down right spacious.

Joe

--------------------
What does this button do??

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A 16" USRP seat mounted on 3/16" steel attached to the stock seat mounts takes a bit of "massaging" to fit. My door bars go out about as far as you can put them without them being nerf bars so you can't get the seat much further from the tunnel.

A 17" will take about an inch more massaging. Depends how tall you are I suppose. I worked with my cage builder a fair bit to make the most clearance. If you're shorter than 6' you can go higher and get more clearance. If not, grab the welder or... [Smash]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Make sure a 17 is what you really need. I am 5'10 and WAS 243 and fit comfortably in a Ultra Shield 16 mounted on steel runners mounted to stock seat mounts. I would have found a 17 to be too large and also ditto for a Kirkey 17.

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Todd Greene Made Donation to Website

Region: Alabama
Car #: 86sm
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Greene     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a 17" Kirkey.
Instead of re-shaping the floor of the car, I cut part of the seat bottom to fit the floor.
Part of the seat cover sits directly against the tunnel and the rocker panel.
It's an Intermediate, so it has plenty of padding over the floor.

Todd

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: