Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Drive line suggestions for 100k mile donor

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Drive line suggestions for 100k mile donor
Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Champ   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My son and I are building a SM from a '99 donor that has 100k miles. It runs great, doesn't burn or drip oil. I was wondering what the proposed suggestions would be for making this race ready? Do we need to do anything to the motor to make it ready for the tough race environment (new aftermarket radiator, rebuilt head, etc). We haven't checked the compression yet but it runs strong and doesn't burn any oil so I think the motor is in good shape.

Now what about the trans. Does it need to have beefed up parts installed or be rebuilt to withstand the abuses of the track?

Thanks,
Paul

--------------------
'99 Miata (1.8l) purchased and dedicated to SM in '09

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Paul
Change the timing belt, water pump, hoses, belts, plugs and plug wires, get a different radiator and then go beat the crap out of it. As far as the trans goes; change to clutch and use Redline MTL in it and you will be fine. A lot of Spec Miatas are running 100K motors with no problems. Have fun!!

[ 12-06-2009, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: Drago ]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I ran the stink out of a 165k 1.6 motor and it never let me down.

The engine and trans on these cars are nearly bullet-proof. Spend your money on safety equipment and seat time for now.

Save for a crate motor and racing head in a season or two. There's plenty for you to spend money on before worrying about the engine and trans.

Cliffy Chains

Region: Central FL
Car #: 17
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Change the engine oil every 4 to 5hrs of track time or so, use Synthetic of course. Make sure to use MTL in the gearbox, and the rear end use synthethic like Mobil 1, every 2-3 weekends is fine.

Get the seat time, I ran my motor with 132K on it with several top 5 finishes.

--------------------
BDR Motorsports, Autotechnik
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Have somebody show you the trick of shifting these things. The only thing that will break one of these motors is shifting from 2nd to 3rd at 7100 RPM, missing 3rd and hitting 1st. What really surprised me was that it handled that maneuver about five times before it threw the rod through the block.
wheel

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

READ read READ before you go ZOOM zoom ZOOM

Read this forum
Read the GCR
Read my book (cheap plug)

Then read them all again, and again, and again.

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Bob Thornton - Race Engineering Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. - Sir Winston Churchill

Region: Central Carolina
Car #: 48
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bob Thornton - Race Engineering   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What Wheel said. [yep]

--------------------
Bob Thornton
http://www.raceengineering.org
Race Engineering Championship Winning Engines

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by wheel:
The only thing that will break one of these motors is shifting from 2nd to 3rd at 7100 RPM...

Add "quickly" to the end of that sentence and I'll concur. The 3rd gear synchros seem to be the weak link in the multiple trannies that I've had. I now take my time for a 2-->3 upshift and all is well.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

amolaver Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA MA
Car #: 50
Year : '96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for amolaver   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by CP:
quote:
Originally posted by wheel:
The only thing that will break one of these motors is shifting from 2nd to 3rd at 7100 RPM...

Add "quickly" to the end of that sentence and I'll concur. The 3rd gear synchros seem to be the weak link in the multiple trannies that I've had. I now take my time for a 2-->3 upshift and all is well.
i'll shamefully admit i've had one go on a 2-3 and another grenade on a 3-4. that said, i run an unsprung hub 3 or 4 puck clutch (the ACT from mazdacomp). modulation you say? never heard of it. i also think the 1.8 is harder on the trans than the 1.6 - those extra three squirrels really pound out the torque [Smile]

all that said, i'm still happy with the life i've gotten out of 'yard trannies. at 3-400 a pop, i put a fresh one in each season now as PM. much cheaper than the unobtanium rebuilds people pay $700+core...

you may want to consider replacing the clutch slave if you do the clutch. one of the few common things that does go bad. that said, my '96's original lasted until last year (4 years of racing).

--------------------
ahm - http://www.awesom-oracing.com
2009 NASA MA SM Champion

geneclev

Region: wdc
Car #: ssm 24
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for geneclev     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

paul do yourself a favor an get Daves book its priceless for a newbee

--------------------
coolman A/C&heating
windsorcustoms.com

Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Champ   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by davew:
READ read READ before you go ZOOM zoom ZOOM

Read this forum
Read the GCR
Read my book (cheap plug)

Then read them all again, and again, and again.

Dave

Got it. It is a great primer.
Thanks,
Paul

--------------------
'99 Miata (1.8l) purchased and dedicated to SM in '09

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: