Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Separate stuck diff / pig / pumpkin / third member housing?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Separate stuck diff / pig / pumpkin / third member housing?
Brian Ghidinelli Verified Driver
Moonwalker

Region: SFR
Car #: 12
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keywords in the title for future searchers. [Smile]

I need to pull the internals from the diff to have them rebuilt. I undid the dozen or so bolts around the case; I have the whole thing out of the car, but I can't get the halves to separate and I'm not sure if the only thing holding it together is some silicon or not. [Confused]

The service manual says to beat on it with a deadblow hammer around where the PPF attaches which I obliged, but no luck. I wanted to get a reality check and see if I'm forgetting something or if there is another way to attack it? The rubber shock mount and driveshaft flange and nut are still attached if that makes a difference but the FSM doesn't show to remove it until after the case is split? I cut away the excess silicon with a razor blade but I can't seem to slide it in between the halves and I'm hesitant to scratch the case and cause a future leak.

thanks!

Dan Tiley Verified Driver Series Champ
Are you followin' me, camera guy???

Region: SEDIV
Car #: 33
Year : Whatever's Available!
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Tiley     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The only other thing that would hold it together would be the stubshafts, but if yours is a '99 (based on your member info), yours won't have any stubshafts.

Other than that, all that is left is silicone and corrosion. Between a deadblow hammer and some prying tools, it should come loose. If I remember correctly, I think there are a couple alignment pins between the case halves that might make it feel as though it's still bolted together. Just keep at it, and you'll get it apart.

--------------------
Dan Tiley

Sponsored by Race Engineering

Spec Miata's fastest and best supported engine program!

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

+1

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Moonwalker

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks - will beat on it some more when I get home tonight. The only thing that protrudes on the case near the split is the PPF mount. Can I hit upwards on the rubber donut at the top to work the other side too?

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Try tapping small chisel ( not smashing) in between and open like a clam. Once it starts to go, it will pop open. I know it sounds stupid, but make sure all the bolts are removed, maybe you missed one?

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The "ears" of the case that house the carrier bearings are a slight interference fit to the aluminum case. Once the silicone breaks loose, you may feel that too. Don't be alarmed.

I usually hold the diff by the pinion flange (in my hand) and beat on the wings of the aluminum housing with a big dead blow hammer. Hold it close to the ground so you don't drop it too far. A few good hits and it will be apart.

Moonwalker

Thanks guys - got it apart last night and now it's boxed up. I hadn't tried holding it by the flange and striking down... it was definitely awkward and my toes were scared for their lives, but it worked.

Drago, will drop it off at the post office today... don't forget my email about the manifold/ecu!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: