Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Seat for a big guy

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Seat for a big guy
Jeremiah Reed

Region: Ohio Valley
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeremiah Reed     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm 6'2" 260 plus...I know I chose the wrong little car to race! There just so damn mean looking I couldn't resist! My problem is really two fold. What are my seat options? What will I fit in, and what will fit in this little car?

Jeremiah Reed

Region: Ohio Valley
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeremiah Reed     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

hey it was over a year ago...but i just remeber I already got some helpful info from a lot of you kind folks! So I'll review the advice givin to me a while ago. i guess my concern is oredering a seat I've never been able to try and then being afraid it won't fit in my car! Thank you all!

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

PM Jim Drago, one of the top runners and he is well versed on your size.

Pat Slattery

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm 235 and 6'3" and use an Ultrashield 17" spec miata seat with a little width to spare. It should fit you just fine. However, you'll have to mount it directly to the floor and pretty much as far back as you can get it.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

When I was picking out my seat I was looking at Sparco and if you go to there web the have a sizing chart. I measured my hips and then worked with my fabricator to make sure we could get it in the car. I went with the Sparco circuit pro which is a Halo seat, I am not sure that would work for you, but they do have a pretty good chart to get you started on the process. http://www.sparcousa.com/resourceFiles/26.pdf

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Racetech 4009 Wide. You can get it with the halo or without and it fits in the Miata if you bang out the tranny tunnel a bit. I've had a guy your height and a few pounds lighter in the car for 90 minute enduro stints with nary a complaint. Check my signature for a site sponsor who sells them.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tried the Racetech 4009WHR at PRI. Really nice seat. The Sparco rep from Italy told me that the Pro ADV has been redesigned for better safety after feedback from WRC rollovers and will be released this spring. He really recommended that seat for a Hans compatible Head restraint seat.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sparco is notorious for making seats for uber-skinny guys. I'm still surprised anyone over the age of 12 can fit into the Circuit. I could wedge myself into the Circuit Pro (I'm 5-11, 200 lbs) but the wings of the head restraint cut into my shoulders so I couldn't even sit back into it.

I liked the look of the Pro-ADV when it came out but IIRC the seat portion is smaller than the Circuit Pro.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gibscreen:
Racetech 4009 Wide. You can get it with the halo or without and it fits in the Miata if you bang out the tranny tunnel a bit. I've had a guy your height and a few pounds lighter in the car for 90 minute enduro stints with nary a complaint. Check my signature for a site sponsor who sells them.

+1 on the RT4009W or RT4009HRW (head restraint version).

The last few letters of Racetech's model/part numbers can tell you about that seat:
  • HR = head restraint

• W = Wide (usually 20+mm wider)

• T = Taller (usually 60mm taller)

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Car #: 39
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Try them first. I have yet to find a seat that fits me right and I'm 6' 225. and yes, I have big bones. I use a kirkey now, and I'd like to change it , but can't find one that fits right. It's like buying clothes. You have to try them on. I was at Sema and tryind eveything and still they won't fit..

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gibscreen:
Sparco is notorious for making seats for uber-skinny guys. I'm still surprised anyone over the age of 12 can fit into the Circuit. I could wedge myself into the Circuit Pro (I'm 5-11, 200 lbs) but the wings of the head restraint cut into my shoulders so I couldn't even sit back into it.

I liked the look of the Pro-ADV when it came out but IIRC the seat portion is smaller than the Circuit Pro.

Agreed, this is not a comfort seat. I am ok under the wings but the front of the seat pinches your knees together so much you get a case of the blue balls. I have the car back to the fabricator trying to get some adjustments as it hurts by back on long sessions. This may be just a one season seat. Am interested in results of this topic I am 5'11 190lbs.

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: