Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » ESS 2.3 fire system install question

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: ESS 2.3 fire system install question
TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Santa is bringing me a new ESS first system for Christmas and I'm scratching my head about the install. The car is a 2002 model. Here is the unit:

http://www.saferacer.com/ess-23-liter-afff-sfi-fire-system.html?productid=550

The complication is that I cannot mount it in the passenger side because I like to run a passenger seat for instructing at DE's. That leaves the trunk (which is also where my cool shirt cooler will be going this spring). Has anyone mounted one of these in the trunk? Any gotchas to be aware of? Where do you suggest putting the nozzles? I plan to put the pull handle in the blanking panel where the radio was. Any concerns with that? I assume I'll need to reinforce it somehow.

Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't have this system so I don't know its limitations on nozzles and tank placement, but my system is mounted in the trunk with no issues.

I have 5 nozzles in my system. I have 2 in the engine bay, 2 in the cockpit and 1 on the fuel nozzle/tank. The 2 in the engine bay hit the fuel rail area and exhaust manifold. The cockpit has an over the shoulder and the second mounted forward discharging toward the driver waist.

I see that the saferacer system is a two zone type, so I guess it's cockpit and engine bay for you.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA
powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN
set up guru:
Gilfus Racing, Austin TX

Richard Pressman Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: WDC
Car #: 87
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Richard Pressman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I installed that system in my sons car.

I mounted the bottle on the side of the tunnel but there's no reason I know of that it won't work well in the trunk. Just be sure there is enough length of tubing and actuating cable. I had some extra I cut off but don't remember if it would have been enough to reach from the trunk. Same with the tubing.

I've got two nozzles on the driver, one high and one low, and one on the engine on the fuel side. It came with three nozzles. The pull handle is mounted on the side of the tunnel near the shifter tilted up so it's east to get to. Yes, you will need to reinforce the plastic blanking plate. You wouldn't want to pull it and wind up with the whole thing hanging out of the dash. Mount it to something solid.

There were no installation issues. Just be sure to use the correct flair tool. I think it was 34 degrees - check the manual - not the normal one you find everywhere. I think I got mine from Summit Racing for not a lot of money and it worked well. Nothing like using the right tools!

It's been in for four seasons with no issues. I just open up the bottle every year to check the liquid level, CO2 cartridge, and seal.

OH... When you form the "Z" bend on the cable make it as shallow as possible or the actuating arm won't want to close down all the way. You'll see what I mean.

disclaimer: I'm not an expert on these systems. This is just my experience with our system. We've never had to put it to the test, thank goodness. If you have a question call ESS.

Good luck on the install.

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

They sell extension tubing. http://www.weekend-racer.com/index.php?main_page=produ...80080108c5d69768a770e1f46

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Any suggestions on where to source a Halon system? I hear they don't freeze solid (risk of explosion) in the wintertime like the other types of systems.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

System fits in the trunk fine. Put it where the spare tire used to be.

Mark Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The trunk is an excellent place to mount the system as it helps a bit with weight distribution and also isolates the unit so that in the event of a real bad incident the extinguisher doesn't become a projectile in the drivers compartment. BTW you should also keep the handheld unit.

--------------------
Mark
http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

FWIW, mine is mounted on the side of the tunnel on the passenger side. I can still put the passenger seat in. Pics on my website. I have two nozzles in the engine bay and one at knee level in the driver area. +1 on everything else Richard Pressman said above, especially the "z bend".

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We are going to mount mine in the trunk on the right side next to the battery to help with wt balance and put the cool suit cooler in the middle.

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Be careful about putting too much weight out at the edges of the car. You want to minimize weight at the perimeter. If you need to add weight, do it as close to the center of the car and as low as possible.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

SAE113 Verified Driver

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 01 & 99
Year : '92 & '94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SAE113     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm curious has anyone put a shutoff valve in the system to isolate the engine compartment from the drivers compartment? I thought about installing a valve near the driver. keeping it in the open position would allow both compartments to flood with extinguisher. shutting it would flood the engine compartment only. of course i would keep it in the open position at all times and close it in case of an engine fire.

--------------------
Steven Elicati
'92 Protege ITA#01
'94 Miata ITA#99

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the input. I'm curious about the "Z bend" that's been mentioned. I guess it will become apparent once I get the system.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The z bend issue will be obvious.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Team Four Racing

jwarren Verified Driver

Region: NNJ
Car #: 51
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jwarren   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

this system is pretty easy to install anywhere. you should have no problem mounting it in your trunk.

from what i remember, i had to pick up a fitting to allow the aluminum tubing to pass through the firewall (got it at home depot), as well as some grade 8 bolts to mount the bottle to the floor. maybe these parts are included now - i'm not sure.

you may want to pick up some extra tubing - i don't think there was a whole lot extra when i was done and i did mine in the passenger footwell. from what i remember, you're supposed to put two in the engine bay and one pointed at the bottom half of the driver with this kit. that's a decent bit of tubing coming from the trunk so i'd rather be safe than sorry.

good luck!

--------------------
Ridgespeed Racing

#51 J. Andrew Warren

http://www.ridgespeedracing.com

The t-fitting to pass through the firewall is included. The mounting bolts are not.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Team Four Racing

Dennis Clark Verified Driver

Region: SFR
Car #: 27
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dennis Clark     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I put my fire system bottle on the passenger side floor, but in front of the seat. It is under passenger's knees and doesn't interfere with them.

Dennis

--------------------
3D Racing
Team Scrappy, car # 27

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: