Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Best leak down tester

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Best leak down tester
dsrgr Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Las Vegas
Car #: 2
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dsrgr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Did a search but didn't find any recommendations. My HF leak down tester doesn't seem to be doing the job. Recommendations for a better quality tester? Best source? Best price?

I also notice that it takes a bunch of careful finagaling to screw either the compression or leak down tester into the spark plug hole. This is due to the rubber hose that is always curved, making it difficult to start the threads. I don't have the ability to gut a spark plug and build the "special tool" that was recommended by someone else so a tester with a better screwing method would be appreciated.

Jay Lutz

Region: Indy
Car #: 33
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Lutz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

To fix the curved hose issue go to Lowes and purchase a short section of plastic PVC pipe with a suitable ID....1/2" or 3/4" is my guess. Cut it to length for the hose and again in half longitudinally and tie wrap it in at least 3 places to the curved hose....this should keep it quite straight and give you something substantial to grab on to as you screw it into the cylinder. Just my $.02 worth. Thanks, Jay

--------------------
"In our sport if you go out of bounds you're most likely not coming back" Michael Waltrip

Mark Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

One of these extenders makes getting a good seal a heck of a lot easier:

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/ipa7881.html

--------------------
Mark
http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

TKraft Verified Driver

Region: DMV /GtRv
Car #: 42&46
Year : 91,95,99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TKraft     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Snap-On Tools # MT324

dsrgr Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Las Vegas
Car #: 2
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dsrgr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great suggestions both ...... Thanks.... Now to find a good tester??????

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

MATCO or Snap-on are both nice testers.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Bob Thornton - Race Engineering Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. - Sir Winston Churchill

Region: Central Carolina
Car #: 48
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bob Thornton - Race Engineering   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We use a Snap-On it works great.

--------------------
Bob Thornton
http://www.raceengineering.org
Race Engineering Championship Winning Engines

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: