Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Injector plug broken/removal

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Injector plug broken/removal
CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've got several broken injector plugs. It seems that they don't like to be touched when the temperature is below freezing. The little latch part that keeps the plug locked to the injector broke on several plugs.

On another vehicle I owned, it was possible to unclip the end of the wire (with a small prong end to it) and slide it out of the plug so that another plug could be used. Do these OEM plugs act the same way? I've got a spare harness and was wondering if I'll be able to just swap the broken plugs out of the harness that I plan to use in the car next season. If anyone has a suggestion on how to secure the plug to the injector by other means, please do tell.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

FWIW- One of my plug clips broke the same way. I've never had it come loose. They seem to stick to the injector pretty good.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

CP Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I thought I'd ask about the plugs just in case they can be moved around. I figured I'd slather some dielectric lube on the contacts and hope that they don't come loose.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You'll probably be fine. The injector plugs on my 1.8 at least are so deep and snug they're a bugger to get off.

I was wondering if there was something you could lube them with to make it *easier* to get them off. I have a hard time getting one hand in there to release the clip and the other to rock it side to side until it pops loose.

Disconnecting plugs in hard to reach places causes me more time and annoyance than just about anything on the car.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Jeremy Pike

Region: SFR
Car #: 89
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeremy Pike     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks to Mazda that harness is less than $75. I expected alot more. I just replaced one on a 1.6 because the whole thing seemed brittle.

FastM3 Verified Driver

Car #: 38
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for FastM3     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cy

I for one won't mind if your injector plugs come loose. That might help even things up a bit.

I have a couple of connectors in the same condition. See if you can tie wrap it. (Not sure if there is anyway to do it though).

No issues with the connector coming loose all season. They do get checked pretty often though.

--------------------
Phil
Silver 38 SM/ITA

CP Verified Driver

Hehe, I have no idea if my new car is going to as fast as the old (squished) one was [Wink] I'm still a few weeks away from sending it out for the cage. I'm working on swapping engines right now.

The plugs went on pretty solidly last night, so I think I'll be alright. I'll add it to my pre-race checklist.

--------------------
-Cy

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: