Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Garage 2002-2009 » Timing advice needed for 91 octane

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Timing advice needed for 91 octane
Juan Pineda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 34
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'd like to convert my Rebello that was previously tuned for 100 octane to 91. It currently runs 17 degrees of timing advance.

1) What is the recommended timing for 91 octane? Do I have to somehow take into account that this is a pro motor with presumably maxed out compression?

2) Is it true that the optimal safe timing is also the timing that produces the greatest power? And by greatest power, do we mean highest peak HP, or broadest torque curve?

3) Any other insight about the conversion to 91? I want the engine to run safely.

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Juan

--------------------
www.ArtOfRoadRacing.com Race Craft Clinic - Thunderhill - 30 Jan 2011

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Juan:
I'll defer to one of the more knowledgeable engine teckies, but it'd certainly be more like 12 degrees vs 17. The only way to get it on the money will be to run the car on a dyno and see what advance you can achieve without pre-ignition (pinging) - and of course where the power peaks.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: