Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Rules & Competition » Runoffs results parity discussion (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  next » 

Author Topic: Runoffs results parity discussion
Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Per Alan's suggestion (I think it is a good one) let's use this thread for parity discussion.

My post that got everyone fired up from the other thread...

Ok so here is the parity break down based on car counts, qual results, and some quick Excel work.

Total Entry Percentages

1.6 - 22%
1.8 - 19%
99 - 59%
01 - 0%

Top 10

1.6 - 20%
1.8 - 10%
99 - 70%
01 - 0%

Top Half of the Field

1.6 - 10%
1.8 - 6%
99 - 84%
01 - 0%

Bottom Half of the Field

1.6 - 33%
1.8 - 33%
99 - 33%
01 - 0%

Food for thought...

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In the interest of true parity I'll ask my wife Debra to do a rain dance for RA Saturday morning. (she's part Cherokee) [Wink]

Tvance13

Car #: 85
Year : 2001
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tvance13   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Moved from other thread

Well one of the 10 lucky guys in the country who built a 01 VVT car has to pipe in...ZERO cars entered. Doesn't that really say it all about the need to give this car some help. At the top level of this sport where cars are being offered for 30K or more money is clearly not the issue.

Top builders build the best car they can for their drivers. Clearly the VVT car is not a candidate to run in the front or one of the cars that RE, East Street, Rebello, etc have built would be at the show.

I'm not trying to make this the car to have. I just want it to be a car that doesn't SUCK to have. It needs the 45 RP at a minimum. And if all of a sudden it is actually able to compete the board can adjust accordingly.

And I'm not talking about my personal car. I am talking about the VVT in general. The first reaction to this is always “we need to judge a top prepped car”. There in lies the rub. At the moment this car is not a candidate to be prepped for competition at the top level. The fact that NO ONE is racing one solidifies that argument. How will we ever judge a "Fully Prepped or Top Built Car" if no front runner is willing to race it.

[ 09-24-2009, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Tvance13 ]

--------------------
http://TylerVanceRacing.com

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How about some actual car counts along with percentages?

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm not an expert on the other cars (or my own for that matter) buy my perception of RA from a few days there is that it favors torque and aerodynamics.

I'm thinking mostly about the short uphills between T5-T6 and after T14 plus the all the long straights. Then again I didn't drive it in a Miata so I may be way off base.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gibscreen:
How about some actual car counts along with percentages?

See the link to the entry list in the other thread. That and the qualifying results are what I based the above on.

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

David Luney Verified Driver

Region: ATL
Car #: 29-Killed
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Luney     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

FYI OPM has a 2002 that they have campaigned quite succesfully for the past two years as Tom's personal race car and as a rental. It has done pretty well against the 99 cars.

PS Don't the 01-05 cars already have a 43mm RP or is that a typo in the GCR?

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by David Luney:
FYI OPM has a 2002 that they have campaigned quite succesfully for the past two years as Tom's personal race car and as a rental. It has done pretty well against the 99 cars.

PS Don't the 01-05 cars already have a 43mm RP or is that a typo in the GCR?

There is nothing SLOW about Tom's '01. In a straight line, and in coming out of corners, it DESTROYS my '99. The traqmate Velocity vs. Time trace speaks volumes. Tom and RE has this model year figured out for sure!!!

I know some have tried and given up, but maybe they quit too soon!!!!

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

mdavis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Southwest
Car #: 45
Year : 1991-sold,95,99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mdavis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Tvance13:
Moved from other thread

Well one of the 10 lucky guys in the country who built a 01 VVT car has to pipe in...ZERO cars entered. Doesn't that really say it all about the need to give this car some help. At the top level of this sport where cars are being offered for 30K or more money is clearly not the issue.

Top builders build the best car they can for their drivers. Clearly the VVT car is not a candidate to run in the front or one of the cars that RE, East Street, Rebello, etc have built would be at the show.

I'm not trying to make this the car to have. I just want it to be a car that doesn't SUCK to have. It needs the 41 RP at a minimum. And if all of a sudden it is actually able to compete the board can adjust accordingly.

And I'm not talking about my personal car. I am talking about the VVT in general. The first reaction to this is always “we need to judge a top prepped car”. There in lies the rub. At the moment this car is not a candidate to be prepped for competition at the top level. The fact that NO ONE is racing one solidifies that argument. How will we ever judge a "Fully Prepped or Top Built Car" if no front runner is willing to race it.

I'd generally agree with the sentiment above. 1990 was 20 years ago guys. At some point we're going to start running out of parts for the early cars and look like folks running all those Spitfires. Bob Stretch built a VVT car a few years ago and gave up on it because it wasn't competitive. Why not give those cars a break on RP size so we can start to get some newer cars in the class?

--------------------
Matthew F. Davis
Texas Region SCCA

Tvance13

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tvance13   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Type-o. You are correct, they have a 43, I meant 45.

Danny - I have heard stories about these cars being competitive, but based on my racing experience I know guys that will spend BIG money for the last couple of tenths. I may be way off base, but if there was even the slightest possibility I could bring a gun to a knife fight I would. The motor builders have been all very forthright with me. There are some limitations with this car that just make it less desirable. I am just trying to overcome those limitations. Given the number out there, it seems to be an uphill battle.

--------------------

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a really silly question, and keep in mind I run a 1.6l car because it was what looked like an attractive buy pricewise at the time.

Any difference between the 1999 and the 2000?

Just one of those idk questions that I have probably asked countless times on this site.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

JimEli Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JimEli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Notwithstanding the model year imbalance of the entries, all of this talk is premature. At least wait for the race results.

--------------------
UPR.com
Team LemonLappers

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by mdavis:
1990 was 20 years ago guys. At some point we're going to start running out of parts for the early cars and look like folks running all those Spitfires.

1.6 136,788
NA 1.8 77,000
99-00 55,882
01-05 ?? but I bet it is a small number

and this is just total production -- it says nothing about the M/T A/T mix which should have been more M/Ts (A/T added mid 91 I think) in the early cars.

The 1.6 will always have the numbers -- there is no shortage of cars or parts!!!

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey guys

please do not jump off the deep end on this - lets face it - Road America does favor the '99, no question. Please see Keith Verges report in the original thread Runoffs News. Heres a guy with both and he thinks that they are close.

Dont take one isolated point and extrapolate off the chart - this can be done both ways.

I am heading to the SIC at Roebling in October. This track definitely favors the 1.6 and we are taking both the 1.6 and my '99 to test both.

just saying!

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Tvance13

Matt - My man! You are the first and only taker and for that I owe you a cold beer. C'mon, where are the other 9 guys who are saddled with a VVT. Bueller? Anyone?

--------------------

EBudman Verified Driver
Idle Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: #71
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for EBudman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If Tom has an '02 that's running good at OPM, maybe the other nine VVT guys should be beating down his door. I'm not about to start endorsing any rules changes for 10 guys.... it just ain't gonna happen.

We're a LONG way from comparing 1.6s to spitfires, MGs, FV or FF engines. Like Willie said, the numbers still make the 1.6 the cheapest & most plentiful for parts & donors. Get back with us when you have data from 50 VVT cars & I'll at least pretend to care. [twocents]

Eric

Tvance13

Eric - If the 02 car that OPM built had any advantage over a 99 whatsoever someone would be racing it. You want data, call any reputable motor builder and ask them what you should build, a 99 or an 01. Like I said, the entry list speaks for itself.

--------------------

Chris Fulton

Region: CFR
Car #: #38
SMIM: gepipe@rocketmail.com
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Fulton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If no changes are made to help the other years of cars(ie: more weight for the 99, like NASA), I'm getting a 99. I know I am not the fastest driver, but at the tracks I drive, Daytona, Sebring, Roebling Rd. PBIR, the 99 is THE car to have.

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Vick:
Any difference between the 1999 and the 2000?

Nothing substantive -- there are just a lot more '99s out there than there are '00s because '99 was the first year of the NB and a long one at that (production started in '98).

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

cnj

Region: SW Division
Car #: 32
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cnj     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Always interesting to watch the ping pong debate on this issue.

I am with Danny on this - lets be careful to not jump off the deep end. The NASA champion was in a 91 and it looks as though a 99 driver has a good chance of being the SCCA champ (a first at the Runnoffs) unless Keith Verges has a good day in his 90. If parity is not exact, its pretty close. Some tracks seem to favor the 99 and others the 90 - but both only slightly. For my part if I had both versions (equally well set up) I would probably run different cars for different tracks.

This year in Texas National standings only 4 of the top ten cars were 99's. The championship leader was in a 99 and the next two in 90/1's. The racing was on 3 different tracks with one of those tracks (TWS) appearing to slightly favor the 99 and another (MSR Houston) slightly favoring non 99's. The difference was minor. Good drivers in well prepared cars finished at or near the top regardless of what year they drove. And to some extent everyone complained that the cars they were NOT driving were faster.

I personally doubt that any change will be made for 2010.

Of course my 99 needs some help....

Craig J

MegaModerator

I think Craig sums it up nicely. The cars are very close, it is just depends on the track. I really didn't want to start a poo storm with my post, just thought the numbers were interesting. I think the statistics for RA are pretty clear.

The real issue for us is that unlike most series the season is an all or nothing deal based on the last race of the year. In pro series you get points at all the tracks and they add up. Some tracks favor your car and some tracks don't. That is ok as it is a cumulative deal. With NASA or SCCA if the last track favors your car then you are in the cat bird seat. That is just the way it is.

I don't have the magic bullet for this one and to be honest I don't think there is one. HPT favored the 1.8, RA favors the 99, hopefully track number next will favor the 1.6. That said, I think talking about parity is not a bad thing. We just need to realize there is no magic formula to make it work out.

One other thing, the 01+ cars do need help. They can't compete with a well prepped 99 and they have to run the same configuration. If the car is going to be eligible to race it needs to be made competitive. It needs a larger plate. I was involved in a very top flight 01 development program and can tell you there is no way to legally make them work as is. Just my experience and my take. Carry on... [Wink]

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Sean Yepez Verified Driver
Team Keeblerspeed

Region: SF
Car #: 94
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Yepez     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Casey Z:
I think Craig sums it up nicely. The cars are very close, it is just depends on the track. I really didn't want to start a poo storm with my post, just thought the numbers were interesting. I think the statistics for RA are pretty clear.

The real issue for us is that unlike most series the season is an all or nothing deal based on the last race of the year. In pro series you get points at all the tracks and they add up. Some tracks favor your car and some tracks don't. That is ok as it is a cumulative deal. With NASA or SCCA if the last track favors your car then you are in the cat bird seat. That is just the way it is.

I don't have the magic bullet for this one and to be honest I don't think there is one. HPT favored the 1.8, RA favors the 99, hopefully track number next will favor the 1.6. That said, I think talking about parity is not a bad thing. We just need to realize there is no magic formula to make it work out.

One other thing, the 01+ cars do need help. They can't compete with a well prepped 99 and they have to run the same configuration. If the car is going to be eligible to race it needs to be made competitive. It needs a larger plate. I was involved in a very top flight 01 development program and can tell you there is no way to legally make them work as is. Just my experience and my take. Carry on... [Wink]

Based on your results, the car that needs the most help (that is there) is the 1.8. With the 45-millimeter plate and a 100-pound weight disadvantage compared to the 1.6, it could use a 4.3. However, since that change is arguably pretty difficult to enact over the entire fleet of 1.8 cars, I propose taking 35 pounds off of the 1.8. (That is an easy adjustment.)

The 2001 may need a bigger plate, but it's impossible to know that without having a top-prepared 2001 there driven by a top driver.

--------------------
2008 San Francisco Region SMT Champion

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Yepez:
I propose taking 35 pounds off of the 1.8.

I propose we leave them the same as now after 2 dominant years. Change we can believe in! [Wink]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

The 2001 may need a bigger plate, but it's impossible to know that without having a top-prepared 2001 there driven by a top driver.

How does anyone know that a top builder hasn't built an 01? Its obvious OPM has one. Others have built too.

I heard Bobby Carter's was real fast too?

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Team Keeblerspeed

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Yepez     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Clements:
quote:

How does anyone know that a top builder hasn't built an 01? Its obvious OPM has one. Others have built too.

I really have no idea. I haven't seen a competitive one run. It could very well be at a disadvantage (though I have no reason to think so), but someone needs to prove it. Mr. Vance has been asking for a bigger plate for the 2001 for a long time now, but until someone builds the SMAC a top 2001 or someone takes the time to put one together (and has a top driver try to win a race in it), it's really hard to say. I hear what Tyler's dad is saying (that no one at the Runoffs is campaigning one), but just because one isn't there, it doesn't mean they can't be fast.

Bobby said something about not being able to get his 2001 to where it needed to be, but I don't know how far he went in his motor development program with Rebello. I have a feeling there was more left on the table. It did okay at Laguna, but he said he was down on power. I think he got 7th (but qualified poorly).

--------------------

MegaModerator

quote:
quote:
quote:

I really have no idea. I haven't seen a competitive one run. It could very well be at a disadvantage (though I have no reason to think so), but someone needs to prove it. Mr. Vance has been asking for a bigger plate for the 2001 for a long time now, but until someone builds the SMAC a top 2001 or someone takes the time to put one together (and has a top driver try to win a race in it), it's really hard to say.

Bobby complained about not being able to get it to where it needs to be, but I don't know how far he went in his motor development program with Rebello. I have a feeling there was more left on the table.

I'm pretty sure Tom Fowler is on the SMAC. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

Tvance13

Casey - I appreciate you acknowledging what many have admitted off line. Like you said, it is eligible to race and whether there are 5 or 500 out there should not be a factor in keeping the cars competitive.

--------------------

Team Keeblerspeed

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I really have no idea. I haven't seen a competitive one run. It could very well be at a disadvantage (though I have no reason to think so), but someone needs to prove it. Mr. Vance has been asking for a bigger plate for the 2001 for a long time now, but until someone builds the SMAC a top 2001 or someone takes the time to put one together (and has a top driver try to win a race in it), it's really hard to say.

Bobby complained about not being able to get it to where it needs to be, but I don't know how far he went in his motor development program with Rebello. I have a feeling there was more left on the table.

Someone should run it at RA or the AARC. Why don't you rent it? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Team Keeblerspeed

quote:
quote:
I propose taking 35 pounds off of the 1.8.

I propose we leave them the same as now after 2 dominant years. Change we can believe in! [Wink]
Last year, didn't Gorriaran run the fastest race lap in a '99 before the 1.8 was given the smaller plate? [Wink]

--------------------

MegaModerator

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Someone should run it at RA or the AARC. Why don't you rent it? [Big Grin]
Why would I rent that car, when I own the "best" car? [Eek!] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

mdavis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Southwest
Car #: 45
Year : 1991-sold,95,99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mdavis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
quote:

I really have no idea. I haven't seen a competitive one run. It could very well be at a disadvantage (though I have no reason to think so), but someone needs to prove it. Mr. Vance has been asking for a bigger plate for the 2001 for a long time now, but until someone builds the SMAC a top 2001 or someone takes the time to put one together (and has a top driver try to win a race in it), it's really hard to say. I hear what Tyler's dad is saying (that no one at the Runoffs is campaigning one, but just because one isn't there, it doesn't mean they can't be fast.

Bobby said something about not being able to get his 2001 to where it needed to be, but I don't know how far he went in his motor development program with Rebello. I have a feeling there was more left on the table. It did okay at Laguna, but he said he was down on power. I think he got 7th (but qualified poorly).

My point was made above. Bob Stretch has moved on from SM but built a no expense spared 2001 and could not compete. Top notch driver, top notch build. Casey seems to know a thing or two about the 2001+ cars as well. Is everyone so scared that the car they have is going to be obsolete that we won't allow a different RP for the 2001+? How about someone put one on a dyno and make some real RP suggestions? Absent of that- I know how folks hate objective data- I'm going to propose a 48mm plate.
Oh... about objective data for William- there were over 80,000 Miata produced from 2001-2005.

Flame Away [flamed]

--------------------
Matthew F. Davis
Texas Region SCCA

MegaModerator

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I really have no idea. I haven't seen a competitive one run. It could very well be at a disadvantage (though I have no reason to think so), but someone needs to prove it. Mr. Vance has been asking for a bigger plate for the 2001 for a long time now, but until someone builds the SMAC a top 2001 or someone takes the time to put one together (and has a top driver try to win a race in it), it's really hard to say. I hear what Tyler's dad is saying (that no one at the Runoffs is campaigning one, but just because one isn't there, it doesn't mean they can't be fast.

My point was made above. Bob Stretch has moved on from SM but built a no expense spared 2001 and could not compete. Top notch driver, top notch build. Casey seems to know a thing or two about the 2001+ cars as well. Is everyone so scared that the car they have is going to be obsolete that we won't allow a different RP for the 2001+? How about someone put one on a dyno and make some real RP suggestions? Absent of that- I know how folks hate objective data- I'm going to propose a 48mm plate.
Oh... about objective data for William- there were over 80,000 Miata produced from 2001-2005.

Flame Away [flamed]

I knew I should have bought that 02 car for sale in Oklahoma! LOL!

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
Hey guys

please do not jump off the deep end on this - lets face it - Road America does favor the '99, no question. Please see Keith Verges report in the original thread Runoffs News. Heres a guy with both and he thinks that they are close.

Dont take one isolated point and extrapolate off the chart - this can be done both ways.

I am heading to the SIC at Roebling in October. This track definitely favors the 1.6 and we are taking both the 1.6 and my '99 to test both.

just saying!

I haven't seen anyone jump off the deep end in this thread. My general perception at this point is the CRB failed to make the correct adjustment to tempt a single front runner to try the 1.6 or 1.8 at the big race. Too bad.

Again, last year everyone seemed sure that the 1.6 would be the car to have at RA with the rules change. I can certainly go dig up those threads. Why does it now seem to be a foregone conclusion that the 99 is the car to have at RA?

BTW here is the quote from Keith
quote:
Originally posted by kverges:

The 1.6 I am driving is as good as I can make it, but it does not have the grunt to pull out of a draft and overtake any of the 1999 cars I have been around on the run from T14 to Start/Finish. Maybe someone else's 1.6 does, but I doubt it.

That said, parity here is like tring to make apples taste like oranges. I actually think parity is about as good as it can be - the 1.6 and later cars are just plain different and this track I think plays to the strengths of the 1999 cars in a way that to slow them much more would cripple them in shorter, more technical tracks.

I thought the 99 was supposed to be better at shorter tracks and worse at tracks with long straights due to restrictor. What am I missing? something change?

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Waterboy Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 15
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Waterboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Casey Z:

Not sure that is the case. Once more people start building them they will figure them out. People aren't building now why? I don't know but I would guess to some degree it is because there are many more 99 and 00 donors out there and those donors are probably cheaper than an 01+ donor. Why spend the extra money. Are there differences, i am sure there are.

Like Danny said above, Fowler has an 01 and it is FAST. I raced against him at VIR earlier this year and that car was very competitive. All years were very close, a 99 won-Todd, a 1.6 finished 2nd and 3rd, a 99 finished 4th (me), and a 1.8 finished 5th. Fowler would have finished 2nd or 3rd in his 01 but went off with a couple laps to go.

--------------------
Tim Jacobs
Montgomery Irrigation

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Flame Away [flamed]

Bob's attempt at the 01 was BEFORE the adjustment to a larger RP. Bob built my 99 and a 1.6 for me so I was lucky enough to be a "friend" of Bob's. With the smaller RP, Bob indicated he would come up a few HP short of his 99, but better torque. I have seen dyno data of the effect of a 2 MM RP change. That gets the 01 up to roughly within 0.5 to 1.5 HP of his 99. How close is enough with more torque? Maybe we should give the SMAC/CRB some credit that they had similar dyno data they used to establish the present plate size.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA