Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Rules & Competition » Runoffs results parity discussion (Page 3)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 3 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  next » 

Author Topic: Runoffs results parity discussion
B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Andy Rushing:
There are problems with trying to use the lighter flywheel to cure the problem the 1.6 is having at RA... The speed the cars are at when they hit The Hill at RA is probably too high for the lighter flywheel to make a measurable enough difference--the cars just aren't changing in speed enough at that point for it to make a difference. Also, for those three spots on the track where the cars get into 5th gear (where I'm sure the 1.6 starts to get killed as well), the lighter flywheel will not help enough.

Wouldn't Cams be much easier to spec, build, install, and enforce? I was against it last year, but perhaps it should be explored as an option.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

fastbrewer

Region: Utah
Car #: 93
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fastbrewer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Are there now enough '99s to justify a basis for an SM2 type class that can run without the restrictor and less min. weight? It would be a faster class with the same great handling car we all know and love!

Compete against the 01-05's and possibly handicap the 05+ MX5's to have the next evolution in a Spec Mazda Club Racing class

I know that's the last thing we need in Club Racing is another class but it would greatly simplify the 1.6 vs. '99 debate!
It would also be (in my opinion) less difficult to balance the 1.6-1.8

And one last thing, Thanks JD for sharing more history on the evolution of this class. It is very enlightening to read and study for those like me who are only into it in my 3rd year!

-Jon

Roger Caddell Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Victory Lane Data

Region: Northwest
Car #: #30
Year : 2007
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Roger Caddell   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim,

I am willing to donate some time to help with the data analysis if you feel it can help.

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
CRB hat on...
We have data from the following cars and we will analyze it from start to finish.

99's
Gorrarian
Drago
Vanvurst

1.8's
Beaver and Gerber

1.6's
Verges and Slattery

I think we have a good sample of what these cars are making and feel it is fair to say that all of the data box samples are cars I would say are top notch or very close.

It is imperative for the 1.6 to be competitive for the health of SM. If the data shows that the early 1.8 and or the 1.6 can not compete. Changes will be made. I have been the biggest proponent of rules stability, but over stability, it is important that all versions of the cars can truly win.

Also look for much stricter and very defined do's and don't's with Cylinder heads and valve jobs over the next few months. The FSM is not near specific enough and the cars need to be reigned back in closer to stock and/or a very specific and enforceable rules set on heads needs to be established. I am working on something as I type and we will have a better and completely enforceable rule with go/no go tools etc as they have in some of the other classes. This will take some of the advantage pro motor builders have over the local machine shops etc.
Thanks again
Jim

--------------------
Thanks!

Roger Caddell

Victory Lane Data - Your Aim Data Acquisition Connection!
Andrew Caddell - Personal Website!

Greg Garneau

Region: SF
Car #: 99
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Garneau     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by fastbrewer:
Are there now enough '99s to justify a basis for an SM2 type class that can run without the restrictor and less min. weight? It would be a faster class with the same great handling car we all know and love!

Compete against the 01-05's and possibly handicap the 05+ MX5's to have the next evolution in a Spec Mazda Club Racing class

I know that's the last thing we need in Club Racing is another class but it would greatly simplify the 1.6 vs. '99 debate!
It would also be (in my opinion) less difficult to balance the 1.6-1.8

And one last thing, Thanks JD for sharing more history on the evolution of this class. It is very enlightening to read and study for those like me who are only into it in my 3rd year!

-Jon

That's what I have thinking all along... Take the SSM class and make all the 1.6's conform to those rules. Have SM2 for all the 1.8 cars and adjust them accordingly.

fastbrewer

Region: Utah
Car #: 93
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fastbrewer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Greg Garneau:
That's what I have thinking all along... Take the SSM class and make all the 1.6's conform to those rules. Have SM2 for all the 1.8 cars and adjust them accordingly. [/QB]

For the record my suggestion was to leave the 1.6's the way they are WRT current rules and weights. Not as restrictive as SSM. Maybe adjust the 94-97 1.8's a bit for weight but also leave them alone, or maybe allow the 94-97 the 4.3 rear end as well.

SM2 would be for all 99+ cars

-Jon

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good discussion going on here. It is productive and reasoned, I had to check and see what website I was on! [rolling on floor laughin]

I promised to keep my mouth shut about parity till after the runoff's so now I can weigh in. I think everyone realizes something has to be done, the question is what. The first step is to get the CRB/SMAC to analyze the data that was gathered. But not just the data, the data will need to be analyzed in concert with the video of the race to try to determine when a car was in the draft, etc as that has a huge effect. Once that is done we will know if we are off by .01% or 10%. Then you can start looking for solutions.

Having spent a lot of time analyzing this in the past based on some pretty good data sets I can tell you that just throwing weight/RP at the cars will not get us where we need to be. The root cause has always been torque, and weight/RP are not effective ways to address the torque disparity.

There are several approaches to solving the problem, cams, flywheel, clutch, etc. Before we can pick the right one we need the results of the data from RA.

BTW, I think splitting the class is the last option I would consider. [twocents]

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If the class is split, I'm finding another class to race in.

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Whatever is done the primary goal should be to reduce cost and encourage new participants.

When I read about 'motor development programs', owning multiple generations for various track/conditions, 'all-out' builds, it bears little resemblance to the class I joined 8 years ago, and I doubt that SM is now the class that the originators envisioned. You know, low cost, entry level, rewards driver ability?

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm struck that we're discussing a complicated set of variables without always considering the effect they have on one another. For example Miller is flat and the 1.6's did well there. RA has lots of elevation changes and the 99's were the car dejure there.
My take away is that we are going to see tracks where different chassis / engine combinations are advantageous. Add to that the fact that there was a push a few years back by the top guns to build 99's and we now have a lot of that vintage SM's being wheeled by hot shoes who have gone to school on the set up and engines for two plus years.
The result is anything but surprising.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As we are blue skying a future do we know how many of each car are out there? Economy & the presumed results at the 09 Runoffs on the hills of Road America may well have contributed to the number of 1.6 & 94/97 cars at the Runoffs.

1.6's ?

94/97's ?

99/01's ?

92/05's ?

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Allen:
If the class is split, I'm finding another class to race in.

Me too!!!! Splitting the class is not an option. On the flat tracks down here in Florida all of the cars are very, very close. The last race the top 4 cars walked away from the field (all national cars); there was 1 1.6, 1 94, and 2 99s.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

J.D.

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Many folks said they would quit if the '99 was included. Its posted at this site. Many did, SM still got bigger and few people remember who quit (I remember, I wish they were back with us).

I think it would be great for Roger to help analyze the data. Maybe he can attend a tire test and hang out on my lawn chair as well?

I Love MEAT......

Gold Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How did the different years Place Jamie? i.e. who was pushing air, and who was benefiting?

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Every change made so far has made a different car the one to have. That means to me we are pretty close.

It will never be even for everyone, everywhere, all the time.

I have 2 ideas:
1) Change the rules every year (with a clear advantage to one car) so every car gets a turn at the top of the heap, and you only have to wait a few years for your time to come around. The people who spend too much money will continue to do so by having a rotating fleet of cars.

2) Keep the rules the same for 3 years at a time so people can flock to the preferred setup, and stay there for a few years without worry and expense.

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Casey Z:
Good discussion going on here. It is productive and reasoned, I had to check and see what website I was on!

We can't have you being confused about which site you're on Casey...so that you can keep it straight, here is my proposal.

1.6's get KERS and adjustable front spoiler.

99's get 80lbs off, a 45mm restrictor and a hardtop Gurney strip.

94-97 keeps the same restrictor, except with open ECU and a push-to pass button.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

D.B. Cutler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Huge Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As a '91 1.6L owner with a gently used RE pro motor in it as well as a completely rebuilt tranny and a torsen rear end, I'm not in favor of splitting the class and making the 1.6L cars conform to SSM rules. The last thing that the SCCA needs is another class.

Over the last few years I've spent a ton of money trying to improve my equipment so that I can at least know that the reason that I'm getting beat is me and not my car. About two years ago I said; "That's it, enough is enough" and I stopped spending money on equipment and started to concentrate on my driving more. Guess what, my times lap times still went down. However, my car is now considered "competitive for regional only" as far as I can tell.

I don't think I'm alone in this economy in my thinking. Whatever we do to improve parity we need to keep the owners who have already invested money in there cars in mind. A new $20 RP for the '99s and more weight is a cheap answer for parity. Plus, the early 1.8L guys will be happy to remove a few pounds.

I'm not sure about what to do with the different ring and pinions in the 1.8L cars. Put it to a vote ? Make it an option for a few years ? Not sure. I don't know if I like the idea of forcing 1.8L guys to spend a bunch of money on R&P gears.

As far as bringing in the MX-5. Sure why not. As long as they have to run at 4500 lbs, I'm all for it. [thumbsup]

PS: And don't lower the weight of the 1.6L cars. I can't get there now even while eating the freaken' tree bark that my wife is forcing me to eat for breakfast. [banghead]

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Antonio Garza:
quote:
Originally posted by Casey Z:
Good discussion going on here. It is productive and reasoned, I had to check and see what website I was on!

We can't have you being confused about which site you're on Casey...so that you can keep it straight, here is my proposal.

1.6's get KERS and adjustable front spoiler.

99's get 80lbs off, a 45mm restrictor and a hardtop Gurney strip.

94-97 keeps the same restrictor, except with open ECU and a push-to pass button.

That won't work for me. I am a member of the SM Teams Association (SMTA) and we have a gentleman's agreement not to use KERs this year. I hear Drago is working on one though... [Big Grin]

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Even better idea...allow the older cars higher compression, let the MX5's in at stock compression and limited prep. 1.6's get 14:1, sequential transmissions, and you get to cut the windshields off; 94-97 only get 11:1, 99 stock.

Antonio--tongue firmly in cheek (sort of)

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

larryw

Icon 1 posted  Profile for larryw     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great discussion as I'm feeling a little fed up with the class.

The costs seem to be escalating. My 1.8--even with a a decent motor--is a dog. I'd very quickly concede I can't wheel the thing but the speeds at which I've been passed by 99s has been disheartening.

What's wrong with sealed crate engines? Compliance, in the regionals I run, is nonexistant. I'm not suggesting we do engine teardowns. Who wants to put their motors back together?

Why not have a trackside dyno? I know that the numbers are only relative, but this seems like a good way to ensure parity. THen we could balance with weight adjustments. I'd rather increase the compliance fee to get a portable unit there. Let's see who's making what. Who cares how much valve lift someone has, what we want to know is output. There must be something I'm not thinking of.

And while I'm on the box, please, please don't talk of splitting the class. Diluting the fields will kill SM. ANyone ever been karting? I did and there was a new class every two years, that slowly thinned what had once been popular. I was at the Glen a couple of weeks ago and they run SSM. I could not figure out the logic behind that class. The guys there said that they had a stock intake and more restrictive exhaust. Is that enough of a cost saving to justify its existence? The guys there said that there's a gentleman's agreement not to use pro motors. I'm sure that works...

SSM seemed to me as a flawed way to keep the class cheap and close. Sealed engines and a trackside dyno could get us there, imo.

Please tell me how I'm wrong.

Chris Griswold Verified Driver

Region: Midwest NASA
Car #: 15
SMIM: ?
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Griswold   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

RA is my home track, 65 miles away. I considered running SCCA this year so I did not have to drive 1500 miles to MMP. Then I remembered I have a 1990 that never did well against the 1.8's at RA. Enough said, NASA it is.

The 1.6's at MMP did do fairly well, but the west coast is full of them, (25 od 40 cars at MMP) My run up to forth came from mainly good braking. My 1.6 is a crate engine that I had Stewart deck the heads and do the legal valve job, nothing fancy. I definitly did not have the strongest 1.6 as I had a run on Grant Westmoreland on the main straight, pulled my bumper to the front of his door, then he drove away from me and I barely held his draft after I tucked back in (quite embarrasing actually).

I had the 3rd fastest lap, probably with a draft, but sheesh, there is a difference in 1.6 power. Maybe my car would have benefitted from a high altitude tune on the dyno at MMP.

This parity thing is very difficult and I don't envy Drago and the board trying to keep the 99's the fastest, oops, I mean the class even. You will never please half the people. DO NOT lower the weight of the 1.6 again. I have to run on fumes to get to 2295. That sucks having to run that low all the time.

--------------------
Chris Griswold
#15 SM
#17 AIX

Greg Garneau

Car #: 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Garneau     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Uhhhh, splitting the class isn't really a new idea... both NASA and SCCA have the sealed-spec class. Out here on the left coast, our SSM fields have been getting pretty sizable. So, in my opinion, it would not be starting something new as so much as forcing the 1.6 guys to form to the sealed rules that are already in place, and then let the 1.8's run light and fast! [Wink]

GW

Icon 1 posted  Profile for GW     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

splitting the class would be an absolutely terrible idea !!!

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

People forget that NASA did this three years ago. Problem is, no one ran in SM2. [Frown]

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

RA is a motor / torque track. Everyone knows this. It only has 12 or so turns and it's 4 miles long. Not much of a drivers track. Then add all the uphills. If you change the rules for parity around RA it will mess up just about every other track. JMHO

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

Gold Member

I think most folks now understand that RA is different and why, but from what I've heard, the CRB would likely make a balanced choice with data taken from other tracks/races. That being said, the big show should count for something as it does a big part for defining our class and sets a certain amount of expectation for new competitors coming into the class and building cars.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Sean Yepez Verified Driver
Team Keeblerspeed

Car #: 94
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Yepez     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by D.B. Cutler:
I don't think I'm alone in this economy in my thinking. Whatever we do to improve parity we need to keep the owners who have already invested money in there cars in mind. A new $20 RP for the '99s and more weight is a cheap answer for parity. Plus, the early 1.8L guys will be happy to remove a few pounds.

I'm not sure about what to do with the different ring and pinions in the 1.8L cars. Put it to a vote ? Make it an option for a few years ? Not sure. I don't know if I like the idea of forcing 1.8L guys to spend a bunch of money on R&P gears.

Great post. I would do the 4.3 change. However, it is more costly than making adjustments using weight and plates.

quote:
Originally posted by 38BFAST:
RA is a motor / torque track. Everyone knows this. It only has 12 or so turns and it's 4 miles long. Not much of a drivers track. Then add all the uphills. If you change the rules for parity around RA it will mess up just about every other track. JMHO

I think Road America should be a main consideration in car parity since many who run the National circuit do so in order to get to the Runoffs. I agree that other tracks need to be considered as well, but a car of any year should be able to win the Runoffs.

Didn't you just buy a '99 this weekend? [Wink]

--------------------
2008 San Francisco Region SMT Champion

ARRC 2010 Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:
How did the different years Place Jamie? i.e. who was pushing air, and who was benefiting?

-bw

In the first race,
1st-1.6L (1990)
2nd- 1.8 (1994)
3rd 99
4th 99
Second race
1st 94
2nd 99
3rd 99
4th 1990
We all ran within a 2 tenths of each other all weekend and it made no difference who was in front. They were very close on a flat track. Also I have a fast 1.6 that I have raced for a while as well and both the 99 and 1.6 seem to be very equal. Of course RA is not flat but any change that would be made to help in the hills is going to give an unfair advantage in the flat.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

ARRC 2010 Champ

How about the runoffs being at a flat track like Sebring? I'm just saying.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Waterboy Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Waterboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by 38BFAST:
If you change the rules for parity around RA it will mess up just about every other track. JMHO

Couldn't agree more. Just at Jamie Tucker states about the tracks in his area we have proven in the DC region that any car year can win at our home track. They are as equal as it gets. Changing the rules for one track seems crazy. 38 cars attended the runoffs, one race. How many cars run each and every weekend at regional and national races across the country and we are going to change the rules because of that one track and one race.

--------------------
Tim Jacobs
Montgomery Irrigation

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You really can't compare regional and national results. Anyone know how many 1.6 L cars have won a national this year?

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Can't speak for any other division, but here is the breakdown from the SOWDIV:

Top Ten in points:
1.6; four
1.8; one
99; five

Wins;
99; five
1.6; three
1.8; zero

As a side note, out of those 1.6 cars that scored wins, they only entered 5 out of the 8 nationals.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA