Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Rules & Competition » Runoffs Trap Speeds

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Runoffs Trap Speeds
Dave Gomberg

Region: WDC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Gomberg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Runoffs trap speeds are now posted with the results at http://www.scca.com/eventresults.aspx?event=13506&hub=1

Dave

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is that the best lap in the race?

Hard to figure when the race leader is 21st if there is a lot of information there.

Pat

[ 10-16-2009, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: pat slattery ]

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

hmmmm ... 21st fastest time, over 2 mph slower.
since he led every lap, he had no one to draft / pull him down the straight ... easily worth 2 mph ...
also never saw anyone on his bumper pushing him down the straight ? what you say Jim - Mat - Todd ?

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Get a load of the GT1 speeds. WOW!

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Theres still a whole lot of 5th gear left to go on that straight after the trap. I'd be more curious to know what their speeds were approaching T1 or Canada.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by guest driver:
hmmmm ... 21st fastest time, over 2 mph slower.
since he led every lap, he had no one to draft / pull him down the straight ... easily worth 2 mph ...
also never saw anyone on his bumper pushing him down the straight ? what you say Jim - Mat - Todd ?

radar jammer? [duck]

I think trp speeds mean next to nothing there.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

springfielddyno Verified Driver
Runoffs "MOVE OF THE RACE" (headlights)

Region: Ozark Mountain Region
Car #: 37, 31
Year : 96, 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for springfielddyno   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

whew.... i actually laughted out loud when i read through those speeds/names... Was I the only one?

sam

--------------------
Regards,
Sam H.
www.springfielddyno.com

NV Racer Verified Driver

Region: SFR
Car #: 70
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NV Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Compare the GT-1's with a Trap speed of 165mph and FA's with a 141mph Trap speed. GT-1's were 2.5 seconds slower a lap. Those GT-1's are bullets in a straight line. It is a graphic demonstration traps speeds are not the whole story.

Dennis

miata68

Region: Detroit
Car #: 68
SMIM: ?
Icon 1 posted  Profile for miata68     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I would like thank my friends Mark Bennett, Shawn Slattery, and Aaron McSpadden for running 3 wide up the front straight on lap 10.

David Bednarz
#68 Spec Miata
2009 Runoffs Trap Speed "Winner"

--------------------
David Bednarz #68

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

***I think trp speeds mean next to nothing there.***

Sure, I get the picture. Let me see if I can get this correct. These trap speeds don't fit my scenario therefore they are fliers & will be discounted. [rolling on floor laughin]

***I would like thank my friends Mark Bennett, Shawn Slattery, and Aaron McSpadden for running 3 wide up the front straight on lap 10.***

I sure am happy a 1.6 didn't find that ^ hole. [duck]

Shucks, Slattery was so fast with his trap speed that the speed device wasn't quick enough to get his trap speed. [laughing]

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Dave Gomberg

Region: WDC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Gomberg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Let me answer some of the questions that have been raised. The trap times/speeds are generated from timing loops at S/F and 120 feet past S/F. These are the loops used to capture on board transponder signals, so they are very accurate.

The times/speeds shown are the fastest for each car during the race. However, they certainly don't account for drafting, great (or not so great) exits from turn 14, etc.

There are timing loops scattered all around the track at RA. Next year, we plan to gather information from other traps and to generate sector times (a la F1).

Dave

Todd Lamb Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion 2009

Region: SE Div, Atlanta
Car #: EddieFur
Year : Party like it's ____
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What Drago is trying to say is: "Those of us that were there with radar guns during the test days know the real story."

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/toddspeed

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I would like to see the speeds at the end of the long straights.

Pat

--------------------

Arrow Karts

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by pat slattery:
I would like to see the speeds at the end of the long straights.

Exactly. The trap is right about at the shift point from 4th to 5th and there is a lot of straight after it.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Veteran Member

Check out the Speedcast replay of the start of the SM race and see how the two top 1.6's of Verges and Slattery faired when the green came out going up the hill. Positiion 5 and 9 [Frown]

Pat

--------------------

Arrow Karts

seege Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA So Cal
Year : Thinking on that.... ok done 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for seege     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Check out the Speedcast replay of the start of the SM race and see how the two top 1.6's of Verges and Slattery faired when the green came out going up the hill. Positiion 5 and 9 [Frown]

Pat

Looks like 2 cars had less torque, or were late on the gas. Since the polesitter was a 99, you're going to get his favorite starting speed everytime. What's the old saying about horsepower vs torque? I know it won't ever happen, but I'd vote to split SM. Either that or make the 1.6 the benchmark for the class instead of the 99.

--------------------
-CJ Johnson

Dwayne Hoover Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dwayne Hoover     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

Pat

And then watch 33:30 to 34:40 of the SpeedCast race to see reality. [Smash]

--------------------
Visit the Midland City Arts Festival!

Veteran Member

Yeah, I purposely did not point that out because it was our car, but we fought that the whole race. Very frustrating, got a good run up the hill and no way to defend it.

--------------------

Arrow Karts

Dwayne Hoover Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dwayne Hoover     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well Pat, I think what I meant by "reality" is that in SM, FV, SRF, FP, and a lot of the other classes I watched, you should not EXPECT to be able to hold off a car slingshotting out of your draft up the front straight, much less TWO cars slingshotting out of your draft.

The drafting 99s had to bust a move into Turn 1.

One minute of video can show anything anyone wants it to show, all I'm saying is the segment I point out is more accurate than a "start" or "restart", or showing only one side of the draft situation.

--------------------
Visit the Midland City Arts Festival!

Veteran Member

Forget the one minute, look at the whole thing Andrew

Pat

--------------------

Arrow Karts

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: