Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Rules & Competition » Intake Heat Shields Legal? (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Author Topic: Intake Heat Shields Legal?
Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A 1.6 in the classifieds shows an engine bay with what looks like a large heat shield.

Is that legal?

And don't respond with that "If it doesn't say.." line. It doesn't say a lot of things.

Most SM engine bays I have looked at have not had such a contraption.

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Eric,

I couldn't either see or find the ad you reference, but a fabricated heat shield is not legal.

Perhaps you saw the factory heat shield?

I have seen one car actually have an AFM intake fabricated in such a way it had a heat shield built in. It was a pretty tortured interpetation of the rules I thought.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA
powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN
set up guru:
Gilfus Racing, Austin TX

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not legal. A car had one at the Sebring National last January and the National Compliance team told him to get rid of it!

--------------------
Paul McLester

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here's a link to the picture that spawned this thread.

http://classifieds.specmiata.com/large_picture.php?id=4655

Overdog Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I missed that ad. Nope, not legal.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN
set up guru:
Gilfus Racing, Austin TX

Andy Bettencourt Verified Driver
www.flatout-motorsports.com

Region: NER
Car #: 09 ITA
Year : 90, 91, 94 Rentals
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Bettencourt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think you guys really need to open up your minds a little. If that shield (or any custom unit) is attached to the allowed (OPEN) unit, it's just part of it. The only restriction is that it can't duct air TOO the filter, says nothing about shielding from heat.

This isn't a case of 'if it doesn't say you can then you can't'...it's a case of 'if it says you can then you damn well can'.

The SP Induction intake everyone runs is totally custom remember. Add a shield to that piece and I would like to know what rule you could cite that says you would be illegal.

I am talking in concept, not about that specific shroud as I can't see where it's connected.

--------------------
Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I disagree Andy. I think that piece is not integral to the intake at all. Just because it "touches" it shouldn't make it legal. I can be ok with an intake that has a heat reflective cover or tape or something like that but not another piece that is not integral to the intake itself.

Just seems over the line to me... Not sure how I would protest it but it seems clearly illegal to me.

It doesn't even appear to me that it IS attached to the intake anyway...

Jason

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Bettencourt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It for sure has to be attached. It has to be part of the section that is indeed free. I can't find anything that would make it illegal.

--------------------
Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports

What rule governs the piece inbetween the AFM and the allowed 'cone filter'? None. It's open. No?

--------------------
Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports

Monkeywrench

Region: SJR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Monkeywrench     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What about double walled intakes? (for cooling purpose). Wouldn't this be the same thing? No?

--------------------
-Bob Adams

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Andy Bettencourt:
What rule governs the piece inbetween the AFM and the allowed 'cone filter'? None. It's open. No?

I like the way you think!!! Although that may be over the line, it appears to be legal to me as the rule is written.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

The SPI intake is so prolific that people think anything creative is illegal. Not so guys. That piece is OPEN.

(On edit: provided it doesn't do an illegal function - like ducting air to the intake)

--------------------
Andy Bettencourt
Flatout Motorsports

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

add a small cooler with some dry ice and attach it to the SPI.............

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Olson:

Been there, done that [Smile]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

9.1.8. Spec Miata Class Specifications
2. 1.6L cars may replace the stock air box with a cone style
air filter assembly. The air filter element is unrestricted. No
ducting or baffling of air to the air filter is permitted.

I guess it will depend upon how the tech inspector and the COA interpret the definition of "cone style air filter assembly" After the fiasco at the runoffs with the COA don't expect them to be as open to interpretation in the future.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
The air filter element is unrestricted. No
ducting or baffling of air to the air filter is permitted.

Been thinking about this one a bit as I initially agreed with Andy's take. After a bit more thought I think the specific example above is non compliant as the heat shield looks like a baffle to me. That said, I think dry ice and or a wrap is just fine. The key word in this example is the word "baffle".

You could take it further and say that any heat shield is a baffle, but I don't think that is the case. I am cherry picking here, but a quick google finds the definition that explains why I think it is a baffle.

Baffle = a flat plate that controls or directs the flow of fluid or energy

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It would not consider that a baffle at all! It does not direct airflow and only serves to slow heat transfer to the intake tube. No different than mine being wrapped in tin.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Huge stretch in the rules, what purpose does it have other than a big heat shield?

Maybe we can attach a turbo to the intake also. [Wink]

Pat

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

***Rule

No ducting or baffling of air to the air filter is permitted.***

***Baffle = a flat plate that controls or directs the flow of fluid or energy***

If we look in the GCR glossary definition we will find that the item talked about is not a baffle. "A plate or panel in a fluid container,"

As long as the item is attached to the intake "air filter assembly" it is what it is. [yep]

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Clements:
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Olson:

Been there, done that [Smile]
I should have known... [Big Grin]

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

dtfastbear Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
faster than the average bear...

Region: SFR / NorCal
Car #: 72
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I agree 100% with Andy. Intake and filter are open and a shield isn't forbidden unless it directs AIR (the rule doesn't say "deflects heat"). The NASA rules specifically prohibit anything that attempts to COOL the air below ambient but are silent on the prevention of the air from becoming heated above ambient. Also note the use of the words "comprised of components" when referring to the cone air filter.

12.2 Air Filter
1600cc engine powered vehicles may use a cone-type air filter.
1800cc engine powered vehicles must use the stock air filter housing.
Any filter may be used, providing that it is comprised of components and materials other than air
cooling systems, cooling chemicals, or cooling chemical compounds. No devices such as ducting
or air deflectors are permitted to direct air to the air filter.
12.3 Definition
For the purposes of Section 12.2, “cooling systems,” “cooling chemicals,” and “cooling chemical
compounds” means any system or substance that enables a transfer of heat, by convection,
conduction, or radiation that causes the air entering the engine to be cooler than ambient, and / or
contain additional chemicals than normally found in ‘air’ as defined by the Handbook of Physics
and Chemistry (CRC).

--------------------
NASA Nor Cal SM series Director
www.molaps.com

Winner - Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Driver Shootout

Evil Genius Racing / Race Engineering / Stewart Development

disquek Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: New England
Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for disquek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The purpose of the intake is to direct the air from the filter to the AFM.

The purpose of that heat shield is to prevent the heat from the exhaust from heating the intake air. This function is unrelated to the function of the intake itself.

What other functions can an appendage I attach to the intake serve?

-Kyle

Steve D. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Once you get past the gag reflex, the jelly ain't bad!

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 30
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve D.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by pat slattery:
Huge stretch in the rules, what purpose does it have other than a big heat shield?

Pat

And here I thought you saved all your rational arguments for the anti-99 campaign?!?!?! [duck]

Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Kyle - I'd say get creative with your appendages and let's talk about it [Smile]

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by dtfastbear:
I agree 100% with Andy. Intake and filter are open and a shield isn't forbidden unless it directs AIR (the rule doesn't say "deflects heat"). The NASA rules specifically prohibit anything that attempts to COOL the air below ambient but are silent on the prevention of the air from becoming heated above ambient. Also note the use of the words "comprised of components" when referring to the cone air filter.

12.2 Air Filter
1600cc engine powered vehicles may use a cone-type air filter.
1800cc engine powered vehicles must use the stock air filter housing.
Any filter may be used, providing that it is comprised of components and materials other than air
cooling systems, cooling chemicals, or cooling chemical compounds. No devices such as ducting
or air deflectors are permitted to direct air to the air filter.
12.3 Definition
For the purposes of Section 12.2, “cooling systems,” “cooling chemicals,” and “cooling chemical
compounds” means any system or substance that enables a transfer of heat, by convection,
conduction, or radiation that causes the air entering the engine to be cooler than ambient, and / or
contain additional chemicals than normally found in ‘air’ as defined by the Handbook of Physics
and Chemistry (CRC).

Well, consider this rule tightened up this year....

don't show up with something like that to a nasa race next year...

Jason

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Steve D.:
quote:
Originally posted by pat slattery:

Pat

And here I thought you saved all your rational arguments for the anti-99 campaign?!?!?! [duck]
I have given up, I am building a 99. [laughing]

Pat

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Louis Interdonato

Region: wdc
Car #: 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Louis Interdonato     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Eric Barbaric:
Here's a link to the picture that spawned this thread.

http://classifieds.specmiata.com/large_picture.php?id=4655

That is a K&N unit....the dyno numbers were not that good compared to others.

--------------------
WDCR SM # 90 http://www.rpperformanceracing.com/

Even as someone arguing for the legality of a heat shield that is "part of" the intake and/or air filter, I would question the heat shield that is in the picture linked above. That thing seems to be shielding the AFM, as well, which I would say IS a tortured interpretation of the rules.

I'd vote for more specificity in the rules (agree with Jason), but I'd love to see the rules allow for small shields that don't extend [much] beyond the dimensions of the intake or filter. I think the insulation in particular makes the engine provide more consistent power over the duration of a race, which I believe is empirically a good thing.

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
www.molaps.com

backusm Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: CenDiv
Car #: 94
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for backusm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Where are you measuring ambient. It's different on one side of that shield than the other.

The definition of baffle in the GCR refers to fluid. So we go to the common definition cited above. Baffle = a flat plate that controls or directs the flow of fluid or energy. That plate controls the flow of energy and air. By virtue of the fact that it is restricting airflow from the engine side of the intake, it is increasing airflow from the other side of the compartment. Thus, it is directing specific air to the intake. It doesn't have to be a directional funnel.

Imagine a wing put under the car but attached to the "free" exhaust. It would create downforce and could change the car's handling, but we'd never say that the wing is allowed.

He would have been better off chopping up the intake box and putting the cone inside the remnants. That would have made the discussion more interesting.

--------------------
Mike Backus
90 SM white #94

So I would then argue that the shape of air filter itself is designed to alter the flow of air to the intake and should be illegal. Doesn't K&N invest research dollars in making a filter shape that optimizes filtration while improving flow? If K&N mass produced a cone filter that had insulation on one side, would you still call this tortured interpretation or illegal?

Is caking one side of the filter full of mud (or insulating material) illegal, since it would both a) insulate the filter on that side and b) increase flow from the other side? What if I have a big off and lots of dirt ends up on one side of the filter? Is it illegal to run again until I clean it?

Is the flat "plate" on the top of the standard K&N cone filter illegal because it restricts airflow from that direction? What if the intake was oriented such that the top of my cone filter was pointed AT the engine?

Part of the FILTER'S job is to direct airflow. I think it is impossible to argue otherwise, or there wouldn't be filters that are shaped differently or made of different materials. If the filter I design is closed on one side and open on the other, what part of OPEN FILTER does that rule violate? What alternative purpose is it serving other than to direct filtered air into the intake?

It's not so black and white. Just sayin'

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Overdog Driver

quote:
Originally posted by Andy Bettencourt:
I think you guys really need to open up your minds a little. If that shield (or any custom unit) is attached to the allowed (OPEN) unit, it's just part of it. The only restriction is that it can't duct air TOO the filter, says nothing about shielding from heat.
The SP Induction intake everyone runs is totally custom remember. Add a shield to that piece and I would like to know what rule you could cite that says you would be illegal.

Easy. A heat shield can be applied directly to the intake itself and be just as effective if that was the ONLY purpose it was serving. The only reason to extend a "shield" and make it bigger and away from the item "protected" is to gain the additional benefit of impeding the flow of undesirable air. And any device which impedes, obstructs, or "baffles" air is illegal.

As a heat shield its legal, but it crosses the line when it clearly serves another purpose that is explicity prohibited in the rules.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by: