Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Rules & Competition » Intake Heat Shields Legal? (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: Intake Heat Shields Legal?
SCCA_Racer

Region: 33 SFR
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am bringing up this thread to ask a simple of, "do you want a clearer rule written to replace rule 9.1.8.C.1.k.1.a "1.6L cars may replace the stock air box with a cone style air filter assembly. The air filter element is unrestricted. No ducting or baffling of air to the air filter is permitted."

What about this proposal?

"1.6L cars may replace the stock air box up to the MAF sensor with any air filter and adapting assembly. The adapting assembly must be straight and attach to all four mounting screws on the MAF sensor with the other end fully enclosed by an air filter element. The adapting assembly can be of any rigid material type with a single wall thickness without air gaps, length and diameter are unrestricted, but it may not extend through any opening to outside of the engine bay. A single heat shield can be added but cannot be larger 144 square surface inches and can only be attached to the adapting assembly in two places.

I am proposing this because I am building my Spec Miata as my College Senior project and want a better defined rule here so I know what I can build. I have some crazy ideas that I want to try as they fit the current rule I think, but re-writing the rule to what I have above will narrow down what I am have in mind.

--------------------
Joshua Fine
SCCA member 323214 since 2003
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

dtfastbear Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
faster than the average bear...

Region: SFR / NorCal
Car #: 72
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The NASA rule:

12.2 Air Filter

1600cc engine powered vehicles may use a cone-type air filter assembly. The air filter assembly
may include integrated or attached components that may serve the purpose of shielding ONLY
the air filtration element and air intake tube prior to the AFM from radiant engine heat. Any pieces attached to the air filtration element or intake tube may extend no further than 1.5 inches in any direction from the filtration element or from the air passage within the intake tube and may not shield, overlap or protect the AFM itself from engine heat.

1800cc engine powered vehicles must use the stock air filter housing.

Any filter may be used, providing that it is comprised of components and materials other than air cooling systems, cooling chemicals, or cooling chemical compounds. No devices such as ducting
or air deflectors are permitted to direct air to the air filter.

-------------
Addresses the filter and "shielding" but doesn't say much about the intake tube itself.

--------------------
NASA Nor Cal SM series Director
www.molaps.com

Winner - Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Driver Shootout

Evil Genius Racing / Race Engineering / Stewart Development

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SCCA_Racer:
I am bringing up this thread to ask a simple of, "do you want a clearer rule written to replace rule 9.1.8.C.1.k.1.a "1.6L cars may replace the stock air box with a cone style air filter assembly. The air filter element is unrestricted. No ducting or baffling of air to the air filter is permitted."

What about this proposal?

"1.6L cars may replace the stock air box up to the MAF sensor with any air filter and adapting assembly. The adapting assembly must be straight and attach to all four mounting screws on the MAF sensor with the other end fully enclosed by an air filter element. The adapting assembly can be of any rigid material type with a single wall thickness without air gaps, length and diameter are unrestricted, but it may not extend through any opening to outside of the engine bay. A single heat shield can be added but cannot be larger 144 square surface inches and can only be attached to the adapting assembly in two places.

I am proposing this because I am building my Spec Miata as my College Senior project and want a better defined rule here so I know what I can build. I have some crazy ideas that I want to try as they fit the current rule I think, but re-writing the rule to what I have above will narrow down what I am have in mind.

The rule is fine as written. Baffles and the like are already addressed. Also if a rule were written requiring a straight tube than that would outlaw the older racing beats that some drivers still use. Believe me we have tried or seen many different types of intakes that were and were not legal. Some of them would amaze many on this board. The one I like the best is the cold air intake that actually circulated cool shirt water through it. I think tech might have a problem with that one!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So I guess the one I designed using the ac compressor and freon won't work? [Eek!]
[shame]

--------------------
Paul McLester

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I like the fire suppresstion system filled with NOS. [Big Grin]
J~

SCCA_Racer

Region: 33 SFR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ok so I like the idea of the NASA rule but like it was mentioned it does not say anything about the tube length, diameter or bends. In my opinion, a bent tube is a baffle as it deflects the air, so that is my reasoning for eliminating the Racing Beat Unit. Without setting some sort of limitation on the intake tube itself, I think it leaves to rule to open for interpretation. I want the intake filter replacement to still be available to all competitors but proved a little more detail on what is allowed.
Johnny just use the AFF fire system with one nozzle and put in a regulator, so you can discharge it onto the intake during a race and you now have a butchered interpretation of the rule providing intake cooling.

--------------------
Joshua Fine
SCCA member 323214 since 2003
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Search 'intake shootout' on the other SM site. Fascinating reading.

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SCCA_Racer:
Ok so I like the idea of the NASA rule but like it was mentioned it does not say anything about the tube length, diameter or bends. In my opinion, a bent tube is a baffle as it deflects the air, so that is my reasoning for eliminating the Racing Beat Unit. Without setting some sort of limitation on the intake tube itself, I think it leaves to rule to open for interpretation. I want the intake filter replacement to still be available to all competitors but proved a little more detail on what is allowed.
Johnny just use the AFF fire system with one nozzle and put in a regulator, so you can discharge it onto the intake during a race and you now have a butchered interpretation of the rule providing intake cooling.

A rule will not be approved that disallows a unit presently permitted, so you can give up on that. Personally, I don't think you'll get anywhere, but if you got time to kill.......

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA