Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Rules & Competition » Points System Thoughts

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Points System Thoughts
Kramer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kramer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So I've done a few HPDE's with NASA, and in my past job, I met many higher-ups in NASA and some of the SM guys (Lamb, Drago and a few others). I lurk a lot here, and when I return to gainful employment (currently underemployed near Detroit), I plan on building my '96 into an SM. Of all the classes I can think of joining, I think SM has the brightest future and highest car count.

With the USA being a big country, and having both NASA and SCCA (and EMRA, Waterford Hills, etc), it's difficult to "prove" who is the best SM racer. Then there's the complaint about budget racers (low vs. high/no limit). And placing high (like top five) in a field of 60 might still mean you're overall a better driver than the race winner.

Quarter Horse competitions score more when the number of horses is higher. So what if you place first when there's only one car in the class. See this link for an example of how AQHA scores their competitions:

http://www.ncqha.com/ntssystem.htm

Also, having points affixed to a car/driver combo, instead of just a driver, would ensure the drivers with access to the "Car-Of-The-Day" couldn't pick a '99 one day, and a '91 the other, just to have the best car for the track. (Of course, some clause would be allowed for wrecks, etc.--you can't shoot your car.)

It wouldn't be that difficult to tally points, and proving your finishing position/car count could be a simple addition to a logbook.

I'm sure there's a lot more that could be involved in this. I'd like to see a simple points system that would span all sanctioning bodies, and help level the playing field across the model years.

Call me stupid (or irrelevent due to my inexperience and/or non-participation), but at least discuss if this is a good idea that needs some more thought, or a bad idea that should go away.

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I know of atleast 10-15 guys that know they are the best, they don't even need a points system [Big Grin] [duck] SCCA kept points for the supersweep and I think Matt Reynolds was the man and he backed it up wih top 5 at the Runoffs. I believe that only tracked SCCA Nationals
Jim [duck]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The supersweep awarded the normal race points, plus a bonus point for every car that finished behind the driver, up to a maximum of 10 extra points. The Runoffs scored double the regular points plus all the bonus points. So, Drago, whose best race, during the regular season, scored 12 for the win and 10 bonus points. At the Runoffs, he got 18 for 2nd, plus 36 for the cars behind him. These were national races, only, and only 7 races, plus the Runoffs were scored. So, you could get a DNF and it wouldn't hurt you, if you did 8 races.

It would be fairly simple to apply the same formula to NASA and you could get a pretty good comparison.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: