Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Rules & Competition » 1999 with a 2001 front bumper

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: 1999 with a 2001 front bumper
Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have not confirmed this yet but I think my 1999 may have a bumper and headlights from a 2001 on it. I am in the process of trying to confirm, but the air dam for a 1999 will not fit. It looks almost exact but for the nose is a tic longer. What would this do to my qualification as a 1999 spec miata? would this be something I would get called out on? I have only had this car two months. bought donor and built it. No one has noticed any issue till I bought an air dame that does not fit. Is that a competitive advantage?

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Frank
If you have 01 up frt bumper and lights on your 99 it would be illegal. It would look better, but still be illegal, sorry. Will anyone protest you? That is another story
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you win be prepared for a protest from some weenie.

pat

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Frank post a picture of the car and we can try to help identify.

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Tvance13

Car #: 85
Year : 2001
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tvance13   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You're better off switching it back to a 99 front end. I have had to replace 3 headlights this year at 250-400 a pop on the 01. The 99 HLA is about 100 for a new after market unit. Sell the whole front end and you will easily have enough to replace with a new bumper cover and 2 new lights. Good luck

--------------------
http://TylerVanceRacing.com

David Luney Verified Driver

Region: ATL
Car #: 29-Killed
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Luney     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The street guys will gladly trade you a 99 cover and lights for a 01+ set.

Frank Todaro

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Clements:
Frank post a picture of the car and we can try to help identify.

Blake shoot me an email Frank@todarolaw.com put sp Miata in the subject I will shoot you what I have. I spent some time with Mazdaspeed shot them a pic the guy told me for sure was an 01. the new bumper cover is only like 180.00. My son and a 2000 and He would love my headlights. I am leaning toward swapping it out. I have gone this far following the rules no reason giving someone a free shot to go after it. Plus, I want the air dam makes no sense to get the illegal air dam for the illegal bumper.
anyone changed out the front bumper skin, how much work am I in for.

--------------------
Frank

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It's easy. Couple of bolts/fasteners in the wheel wells and on top near the hood latch and some plastic screws in the radiator cutout down at shin level.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Frank Todaro

quote:
Originally posted by CP:
It's easy. Couple of bolts/fasteners in the wheel wells and on top near the hood latch and some plastic screws in the radiator cutout down at shin level.

Thanks, You are right, I already got into it and its not a big deal, god I love working on this car.

--------------------
Frank

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: