Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Rules & Competition » National Points Calculation

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: National Points Calculation
Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How many out of division races can you have? Under Division Points the GCR says 2, and I thought it was 3

And, how many races are used to calculate National Points? Under Division championship the GCR says 6.

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Jim Creighton

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Creighton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That was changed in mid year of 2008 to be in effect for 2009. However, when the GCR came out, they missed the update. It was in an early Fastrack.

The updated GCR is on line at

http://cms.scca.com/documents/Club%20Forms/20...%20TB%2009-09%20GCRra.pdf

For 2009 and on, you are allowed top count your best 7 finishes of which 3 can be out of your Division of record. In order to attend the Runoffs, you must have four finishes and be in the top 10 in points in your class.

So, you could compete at the Homestead-Miami Speedway Double National on Jan 1-3 and then compete at the Sebring Double National the next weekend and have your four finishes necessary to attend the Runoffs. If you are from out of Division, you can count your best three finishes for points. The four finishes meets the Runoffs requirement. Of course, you still need to be in the top 10 in points, but I heard rumors that might be relaxed for some of the larger classes such as SM.

For those who have never raced these two tracks, it's a hoot. Homestead- Miami is a NASCAR Speedway track but they have a fun infield track tied into the oval. The facility is super with nice garages and tons of paved area to pit. And then there is Sebring, the long track. Just racing it is racing on history. And it too has tons of paved pit paddock area. Arrangements have been made for you to bring your rig on up to Sebring right after Homestead or you can all go stay with "Cheatin Chip." [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Creighton
SARRC Administrator

Jim Creighton

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Creighton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I did leave out one requirement and that is that you must have two starts in your own Division. So, if you finished all four races in January, you would be able to count the best three finishes for points in your home Division. It would only be necessary to enter one more Double National, assuming you are from a Division that has one and start both races.

As I said, right now, you must still be in the top 10 in points but I still think that might go away. It just never seemed fair to me that in a division where 15 guys are battling to go to Runoffs, only 10 are allowed to go but in another division there are only 5 guys trying and they all get to go. Why can't the other 5 outside the top 10 be invited to fill the field.

Not everyone can run every race and it shouldn't be a requirement for you to beat your brains out and spend all your money traveling all over to qualify when other Divisions hold 3 Double Nationals and drivers get their 6 races in 3 weekends.

Oh, well, enough soap box!

--------------------
Jim Creighton
SARRC Administrator

CHIP VAN 01
WHO NEEDS EXIT SPEED WHEN YOU HAVE HORSEPOWER !!!!!

Region: FL REG
Car #: 01 02 03
Year : 90 93 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CHIP VAN 01     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim
Who makes the call on which layout we run at homestead? I vote for the club course

--------------------
www.AutoTechnikRacing.com

2010 SM NATIONAL POINTS CHAMPION
( I kicked Von C's A$$ )
2008 , 2009 and 2010 SE Division National SM Champion

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by CHIP VAN 01:
Jim
Who makes the call on which layout we run at homestead? I vote for the club course

I vote for the oval. [Wink]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Jim Creighton

The track layout is up to the Region. Here's what it says in the supps about the course.

Homestead-Miami Speedway is a 2.30 mile road course utilizing the oval track turns 3 & 4.

I would think they'd have to run the 2.3 to allow for enough cars on the track. This configuration allows up 58 cars starting.

I would suggest a request from the SM drivers to have a split start since you are grouped with SSB, SSC, T3 & STU. I would think it would make for a better start. Requests such as this are usually better received if a email is sent to the Chief Steward, John Anderson, in advance so he can give it consideration.

John's email is woxof1@earthlink.net

BTW, entry for both races are now on DLB.

--------------------
Jim Creighton
SARRC Administrator

RHarris Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Wichita
Car #: 8
Year : 1992 FP
Icon 1 posted  Profile for RHarris   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Creighton:
For 2009 and on, you are allowed top count your best 7 finishes of which 3 can be out of your Division of record. In order to attend the Runoffs, you must have four finishes and be in the top 10 in points in your class. [Big Grin]

I guess I have some follow on questions to the 4 race rule. I didn't look at any other class but in FP there were at least 2 drivers listed in the Super Sweep with only 3 sanction events entered but yet they particpated in the Runoffs??
Just curious if I am missing something...

--------------------
Rick Harris
F Production - A place for 1.6 Miata's

http://www.v8roadsters.com/

http://jesseprathermotorsports.com/
http://www.wbrgraphics.com/
http://haremotorsports.blogspot.com/
2008 F Production National Champion

Jim Creighton

Super Sweep did not award points to drivers who finished worse than 9th at a race. However, that driver does receive credit for a finish.

Send me a personal email at jcreig53@mindspring.com and I'll be glad to verify any drivers points & finishes.

I'm only ware of one driver who competed at the Runoffs that was in a "gray zone" and that was due to a finish error on the race results. Without corrected results, the finish position stood. Basically, a finish was given for several less than 1/2 laps completed and the results were never corrected.

--------------------
Jim Creighton
SARRC Administrator

Ken SM-94 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 94
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken SM-94   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Chip, I like your avitar! Are you in the red, white and blue car? [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: