Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Rules & Competition » Specific seat mounting guidelines: What isn't legal?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Specific seat mounting guidelines: What isn't legal?
Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Are there supplemental regulations posted somewhere that actually state what you can and can not do in terms of mounting a race seat?

Is it in writing that we are allowed to modify the floor pan and/or transmission tunnel (Cut, and re weld tunnel to allow wide seat, cut stock mounts off for taller drivers) or is it just a common thing that everyone overlooks? Basically, is it something someone could protest if they wanted? i.e. It's technically removing metal from the car, and "if it doesn't say you can, you can't (removing headlights, heatercore, etc.)

On another part of the car, what is the legality of removing the clock spring on the steering column behind the momo/sparco steering wheel adapter?

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Modifying the interior for the seat is legal the way I read the rules. It comes down to...

Other than to provide for the installation of required safety equipment or other authorized modifications, no other driver/ passenger compartment alterations or gutting are permitted.

Read a different way, modifications to the pax compartment are legal to install the required safety gear. The seat is required safety gear.

You could also probably get pretty liberal with the rule...

Factory seat tracks/brackets may be modified, reinforced, and/or removed to facilitate replacement mountings provided they perform no other function.

The seat mounts are brackets in my view.

For the clock spring...

Any steering wheel, except wood rimmed types, and its required mounting modifications may be used.

With the screw on steering wheel hub I use, I had to remove the clock spring.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Bob Thornton - Race Engineering Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. - Sir Winston Churchill

Region: Central Carolina
Car #: 48
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bob Thornton - Race Engineering   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sean, good questions. I think Keith has a point.

--------------------
Bob Thornton
http://www.raceengineering.org
Race Engineering Championship Winning Engines

jake bailey

Icon 1 posted  Profile for jake bailey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

how old do you have to be to get your scca license???

jake bailey

Icon 1 posted  Profile for jake bailey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by jake bailey:

Application for SCCA Novice Permit

You must be at least 18 years old (16 and 17 year olds must apply directly to the SCCA
National Office).

J~

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

go to scca.com and look at the "club racing" tab. 15 years old with specific requirements.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: