Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Rules & Competition » Need to Make Weight...need advice

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Need to Make Weight...need advice
Adam Figarsky

Region: mo-hud
Car #: 32
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Adam Figarsky   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So I have decided to step up from regional SSM to National SM this year...and yes I am prepared to be a mid-packer....
anyways, I need to make weight with either a bolt ballast in the right front passenger footwell or with fuel.
-
Whats the best option... weight over rear wheels or right front...
-

[ 02-03-2010, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Adam Figarsky ]

--------------------
TeamFigMented

2009 NARRC and NYSRRC SSM Champion
2009 SSM NESCCA Enduro Series Champion

NER88 Verified Driver

Region: ner
Car #: 88
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NER88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Eat more!

Most bolt weight to passenger side floor.

--------------------
Jerry

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

From experience, I can tell you that using fuel as ballast can be a problem if you're in a race longer than 30 minutes.

Adam Figarsky

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Adam Figarsky   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by NER88:
Eat more!

I have been drinking alot of beers this winter...its the most i can do...

----more info
1990 1.6L
--
i do have 25lb ballast to floor however just dawned on me that the fuel tank may be a slightly better option...
-
with an empty car im very close to 2250 with me in the car. I myself usually try to shoot for about 1/4 tank (3 gals = 21 lbs) in reserve which usually gets me close to 2275 (SSM Spec weight)
-
so i basically need to add an additional 25 lbs to get to 2300 SM spec weight(with 1/4 tank)
-
plus i need to consider fuel consumption during a race which is another question in its self...

--------------------
TeamFigMented

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Adam Figarsky:
quote:
Originally posted by NER88:
Eat more!

I have been drinking alot of beers this winter...its the most i can do...

----more info
1990 1.6L
--
i do have 25lb ballast to floor however just dawned on me that the fuel tank may be a slightly better option...
-
with an empty car im very close to 2250 with me in the car. I myself usually try to shoot for about 1/4 tank (3 gals = 21 lbs) in reserve which usually gets me close to 2275 (SSM Spec weight)
-
so i basically need to add an additional 25 lbs to get to 2300 SM spec weight(with 1/4 tank)
-
plus i need to consider fuel consumption during a race which is another question in its self...

1.6 SM is 2285....

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

1.6 = 2285#

Floor

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Mitch Taylor

Region: FLA
Car #: 97
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Taylor     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A bit of a hijack but how are people getting there cars to be below 2100lbs. I have a 1.6 and have taken out everything that I know is legal and I was still too heavy. I just gutted the doors changed to nascar bars, will see, but I wish I was under weight.

Adam Figarsky

knew that....
great start

--------------------
TeamFigMented

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What size is your cage wall thickness and tube diameter?

--------------------
Paul McLester

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mitch Taylor:
A bit of a hijack but how are people getting there cars to be below 2100lbs. I have a 1.6 and have taken out everything that I know is legal and I was still too heavy. I just gutted the doors changed to nascar bars, will see, but I wish I was under weight.

There are two variables: car weight and driver weight. If the car's at 2100, the driver only has to be at 185.

[Smile]

Adam Figarsky

no clue...
i know i pass annual tech each year...
sorry

--------------------
TeamFigMented

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

larger tube thickness and larger diameter than the minimum adds weight.....and can increase safety.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Iíve seen people bolt lead blocks to the floor all the way back against the firewall to get it as far back as possible. I couldnít get the steel weights I use that far back and mount it well so I managed to fit them between the stock seat mounts (and almost wound up with cross drilled brake lines [Eek!] ).

Even with 50# on the floor I need to finish with about 5 gallons in the tank to make weight with a 5-10# safety buffer. This year I'll need to figure out how to safely add another 10# somewhere.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Mitch Taylor

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Taylor     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good call paul, my shop is using the lightest to gcr spec, the car did have some heavy tubes.

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mitch, if they're not doing it already your shop needs to weight and set-up the car with you in it, or your equivalent weight in the seat.

-Denny

Mitch Taylor

Let's not hijack this thread further,regards.

Adam Figarsky

well i think ill have to do a combo deal to make weight...
weight bolted to floor and then fuel management...
---
i guess there is no optimization to putting wieght to the back in the form of fuel vs wieght bolted to floor...
---
maybe ill use steal wheels or eat alot of cheeseburgers...

--------------------
TeamFigMented

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh it's been discussed alright. (must...not...rekindle... fuel slosh debate) [Razz]

Some people just bolt weights where they fit. Some people just add more fuel. Some people use it to optimize corner weights.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Jeff Longo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NER
Car #: 46
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Longo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Adam,
I bought some scrap rectangular steel pieces from local fabricator & had him punch 1/2" holes in them. Bolt to passenger floor with good hardware. As the weight of the car changed, you have the ability to add or subtract weight incrementally. Be mindful of brake & fuel lines when drilling.
Eat a cheeseburger you toothpick! [Big Grin] [duck]

--------------------
LTD Racing
Chief Of Inappropriate Comments

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

**Eat a cheeseburger you toothpick! [Big Grin] [duck] **

Introduce the guy to BEER.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Adam:
The advise you've received here to bolt weight to the passenger floor (as far back as possible) is sound. If you look at your corner balance weights the drivers side is always heavier because the pedals, column and you are on that side. The use of right hand side ballast will permit you to get closer to 50/50 side to side. That translates into improved balance.

As for the one gallon of fuel weight (with you in the seat, it's 2,285.

Good luck this season with the big dogs!
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Jeff Longo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NER
Car #: 46
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Longo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Introduce the guy to BEER.[/QB][/QUOTE]

???
Post race interview "Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here" [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------
LTD Racing
Chief Of Inappropriate Comments

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: