Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Rules & Competition » Seat rules

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Seat rules
SM Police

Region: Chicago
Car #: 30
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SM Police     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I searched and didn't find any previous threads. I also have looked as the SCCA rule book. I'd like your take on the rules around seats. How old can they be. Do they all need seat back braces (although SM has a built-in one with the rear firewall).

--------------------
Speed Dog Racing, Inc.

Tvance13

Car #: 85
Year : 2001
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tvance13   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

NASA just flagged us for a 5 year old Sparco seat. They said we needed a back brace. SCCA tech'd the same car and it was fine? Go figure.

--------------------
http://TylerVanceRacing.com

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SCCA GCR - 79 Rule 9.3.41 Seats, with the addition of the following.

CLUB RACING BOARD MINUTES | Jan. 5, 2010

SUGGESTED RULES FOR NEXT YEAR

Item 1.
#314 (Dick Patullo) Seat mounting
To allow secure mounting of racing seats in categories where a limited number of cage attachment points are allowed, the CRB
recommends the following change.

Effective upon BoD approval, in 9.3.41, add a new second paragraph as follows: Mounting structures for racing seats may attach
to the floor, cage and or center tunnel. Seat mounting points forward of the main hoop, between the center line of the car and the
driverís side door bar and rearward of the front edge of the seat bottom are not considered cage attachment points in classes
with limitations on the number of attachments.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

please don't drill a back brace into a composite seat.

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

"Seats homologated to and mounted in accordance with FIA standard 8855-1999 or higher need not have the seat back attached to the roll structure."

If it's an FIA seat and the homologation hasn't expired, it doesn't require a back brace. Otherwise it does. The rear firewall does not count. Even if your seat is against the firewall, it doesn't provide lateral support and the firewall is not part of the roll structure.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Dan Stampf

Region: SFR
Car #: 37
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Stampf     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm brand new to Spec Miata and I do have a car, but no seat yet. Must you have an FIA seat to be eligible to race SCCA or NASA? The Corbeau FX1 Pro looks nice at a great price, but is not FIA. On the flip side, the Sparco Sprint5 looks less comfortable, but is FIA. What to do...

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I would stay away from the sprint 5 - it's a tube frame (not a composite seat). Go with the Momo Start if you want a FIA composite seat in that price range.

-bw

[ 11-26-2010, 05:26 AM: Message edited by: B Wilson ]

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Spence Gatrell

Region: Oregon
Car #: 27
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Spence Gatrell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Must you have an FIA seat to be eligible to race SCCA or NASA?

To answer your question, no.

FIA ratings are given to composite seats for a safety and life rating much like seatbelts. I run an aluminum kirkey(until the MC carbon seat arrives) and its not FIA certified.

--------------------
When in doubt.. Stand on it!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: