Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Rules & Competition » Heat wrap on exhaust

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Heat wrap on exhaust
omg

Region: washington
Year : 1990 sm 1990 ssm 2007 MX5 Cup
Icon 1 posted  Profile for omg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I cked the DC region SSM rules for the year, and could not find the answer. Is it permissable to wrap the exhaust with a heat resistance material to help keep the heat down in the car? Thanks

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It is not legal in SM, don't know about regional classes.

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm guessing with SSM since you guys use a stock exhaust it is not allowed.

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If it doesn't say you can...

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

NO

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
If it doesn't say you can...

Or even better: if it says you can't, you can't.

SCCA:

"m. Exhaust system
1. The exhaust manifold must be Mazda OEM, without any material added or removed. No coatings are permitted on the exterior or interior of the manifold. Heat wraps may not be used."

If you'll recall, the 2009 SCCA Runoffs champion had a heat wrap on his exhaust. It was deemed legal since the total diameter of the exhaust pipe with the heat wrap was not bigger than the 2.25" the rules allow.

NASA doesn't have the heat wrap rule though.

"12.6 Exhaust System
The stock down pipe must be used. However any single exhaust pipe may be used, providing that it has a maximum outside diameter of 2.25 inches (+ 0.0625 tolerance)."

So for NASA you would then indeed need to fall back on the rule of "if it doesn't say you can, then you can't." Although I think there is still an argument to be made that if the pipe with heat wrap does not exceed 2.25 inches plus the .0625 inch tolerance, you're good.

Thread hijack: I love "tolerances". Why not just increase the maximum diameter to 2.3125"? Reminds me of the NASCAR pitlane speed limit rule where they have the speed limit of say, 55mph, but they then have a "cushion" of 5 mph. Drives me nuts. To "limit" something is defined as preventing it from becoming greater than a particular amount or degree. So by definition, if there is a cushion, it's not a limit. 55mph is then just a guideline, a preference, a suggestion, a request, whatever. But it's sure as hell not a limit!!!

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

omg

Icon 1 posted  Profile for omg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sorry for newbe ?. I had my 1990 on the lift today, should this car have a heat shield? The previous owner had the pipe wrappped. He raced with the car in SSM class last year, I quess he was not legal, from what I am reading here.

Thanks again for all your help.

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Car #: 39
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

the heat shield under the car can be removed, I believe. I left some of mine on to keep my feet cooler. You should have the top one and he probably did to hide the wrap. No one I know uses it.

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

omg

thanks for your help

SM Police

Region: Chicago
Car #: 30
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SM Police     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Let's be clear on this one. They say the "exhaust manifold" can't have wrap. That would be the 4 into 1 collector (the header) up at the engine end. After that isn't the exhaust free? If it's free doesn't that mean you can do what ever you want as long as it exits after the rear axle. Last year I had a springfield dyno exhaust with the muffler can wrapped (to control heat in the cabin) and a section of the tail pipe near the diff wrapped (to control heat on the diff). The header was not wrapped...because that is illegal.

--------------------
Speed Dog Racing, Inc.

Kyle Freiheit

Region: NWR
Car #: #78 sorry Terrell
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

2010 GCR explicity forbids, thermal coatings and heat wrap on the exhaust system now.

Don't know if I agree with it but thats the rule.

Kyle

SM Police

Region: Chicago
Car #: 30
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SM Police     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

DISCLAIMER!

I should say that my reference point is last year. I have not brought myself up to speed on the 2010 rules.

--------------------
Speed Dog Racing, Inc.

Chris Windsor Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
windsorcustoms.com

Region: WDCR,
Car #: 38
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Windsor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Nope no wrap for SSM, WDC or Northeast

--------------------
2011 Season schedule coming soon
Support, sales, repair or rental
windsorcustoms.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

2010 GCR
"m.4.f. No portion of the exhaust may be wrapped with any type of insulating tape, nor shall any portion of the exhaust, internal or external, be coated with any thermal coatings."

JimEli Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JimEli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What's the difference between high temperature exhaust paint and thermal coating?

--------------------
UPR.com
Team LemonLappers

Chris Windsor Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
windsorcustoms.com

Region: WDCR,
Car #: 38
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Windsor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

High temp paint is what you cover up the thermal coating with

--------------------
2011 Season schedule coming soon
Support, sales, repair or rental
windsorcustoms.com

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Also, I would check with your local scrutineer.... at my first SCCA race after racing for several years with NASA, they almost DQ'd me for "illegal coating on the exhaust....." I had painted the heat shield that bolts onto the header with engine paint....

common sense eventually won the day, but not without a few tense moments on my part. Other DQ's had put me into 3rd place.... and I thought I would be next!

Needless to say, before the next race I painted that part silver to match the factory coating!

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

I really don't think it is wise to put anything on your exhaust system, the way the rule is written. Why tempt fate.....or the tech shed?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: