Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Rules & Competition » Should SCCA adopt GrandAm Start Rule?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Should SCCA adopt GrandAm Start Rule?
Unsafe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Team Saferacer

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 70
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Unsafe     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As a follow-up to the red-hot discussion in the South East forum, I wonder what folks would think of adopting start rules used in GrandAm road racing that require all cars to stay in formation and disallow any passing, or moves to improve position until after you have passed the starter stand. In other words, the drop of the green flag doesn't signal all out racing and drivers must show restraint until actually passing the start/finish line. Penalties for breaking formation are leveled immediately, as offending drivers are black flagged and have to visit the pit road before proceeding.

--------------------
Mike Asselta
http://www.saferacer.com

Rob Burgoon Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No. Enforce the rules already on the books. Throw the black at a pole car that accelerates before the green, and black flag cars that are out of line on the start or leaving a big gap.

The staff should do this, not the other drivers, and only if they are sure of the car in question.

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It's really not that freaking hard to have a precise double file where nobody gets a jump. You just have to have a starter and stewards that won't take any crap.

If you can get 5 yr olds in quarter midgets to consistently deliver a precision double file start, a bunch of old farts should be easy!

--------------------

Eric Richter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: So Cal
Car #: #29
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Richter     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

NO. It would never work.

--------------------
2009 SoCal SCCA SM Champion
"Only boring people get bored"

Greg Arsenault Verified Driver

Region: WDC
Car #: 54
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Arsenault     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Burgoon:
It's really not that freaking hard to have a precise double file where nobody gets a jump. You just have to have a starter and stewards that won't take any crap.

If you can get 5 yr olds in quarter midgets to consistently deliver a precision double file start, a bunch of old farts should be easy!

Amen brother

Tom's Double O Verified Driver

Region: Oregon
Car #: 00
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom's Double O     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

NO! NO! NO!. Like everyone else said, enforce the current rules.

Besides, GrandAm start rules are boring. It would take away one of the most exciting part of our races.

Tom

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No.

Instead, train starters to:

1. Always throw the green at the same place;

2. Make that place is where the most possible drivers can see the flag

3. Wave off the start when things are out of line.

And penalize repeat offenders.

As long as the biggest (some might say only) sin in the eyes of the stewards is consenting adults bump-drafting, instead of avoiding real carnage, nothing will change....

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
No. Enforce the rules already on the books.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark de Regt:
And penalize repeat offenders

What they said...

(NOTE: SoCal Fast NASA Guys - Please please please refrain from speeding-up prior to green & stay on pace... You dudes are creating more risk for us slow-pokes.)

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

Disagree on this one. This will just cause people to anticipate the green even more. IMO they throw it at the same spot too often already.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gibscreen:
quote:

Disagree on this one. This will just cause people to anticipate the green even more. IMO they throw it at the same spot too often already.
Disagree with this. If they also waved off the green when people anticipate it, it would solve a lot of problems.

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This thread and the monster CMP crash thread have a LOT of good info for drivers, stewards, and starters alike. My question is this: How do we pass this info onto our local stewards and starters?

quote:

*Facepalm*

I agree with the rest of your points though.

--------------------

Veteran Member

If throwing the green at a predictable place causes more problems than it solves (and I'm not convinced it does, if start-jumpers are routinely punished), I'm happy to waive that proposal. But the other two I listed are very important.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Colangelo:
This thread and the monster CMP crash thread have a LOT of good info for drivers, stewards, and starters alike. My question is this: How do we pass this info onto our local stewards and starters?

Call them and talk about it? Get a "start quality" petition going in your race group and give a copy to the starter, stwards, and their bosses (board of governors?) maybe?

--------------------

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
My question is this: How do we pass this info onto our local stewards and starters?

I for one will be speaking to the race director at the next event, hopefully he agrees and thus makes an announcement at the drivers mtg... Then the $50,000 question is will he follow through if the start is jumped / constant pace is not maintained?

quote:
if green at a predictable place causes more problems than it solves (and I'm not convinced it does, if start-jumpers are routinely punished)

Gotta start by killing the jumped-starts then it does not matter where the green flys.

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I pulled all four of these videos together and posted on the ASedan site. If any of you know stewards, or starter types, send it to them. I am sure they would all appreciate seeing the videos. I really wish there had been video from the starter's stand. That would have made this an incredible teaching tool....Not that it isn't now.
wheel

Veteran Member

I am a cynic, I know, but if no penalties were handed out, despite numerous protests and all those videos being shown to the stewards, what reason is there to think that anybody in a position to prevent such disasters is willing/able to learn from this one?

Apparently the official position is that this was just a racing incident....

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I didn't vote. [nope]

If folks (officials/drivers) don't pay attention to the existing rules when highly questionalble actions result in several seriously damaged cars what makes anyone think a new rule will change anything?

In the other thread a couple people made very good comments. Try racing an open wheel car or Kart the way people race the SM & there will be a bunch of people paying the price for no respect to peer racers. [yep]

About 5-6 years ago at Gingerman I passed a car under a full course yellow, realized my mistake, returned the position & promptly was issued a yellow license for 3 months. No crash, no smash, no nothing.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

One thing that nobody is willing to own up to in our class is that when the stewards do come down hard by enforcing the letter of the GCR..........everyone gets just as pissed off at the stewards. The GCR says "no contact" and yet we bump draft and get mad when we are called into the trailer for doing it and drivers start saying screw SCCA we are going to race NASA, PCA,etc.
Old thread that applies:
http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/43/4292.html#000001

--------------------
Paul McLester

That's because we want THAT rule changed, and they wont change it.

The proposal is to have them tune their enforcement enthusiasm with respect to the starts, not the whole book.

--------------------

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
If throwing the green at a predictable place causes more problems than it solves (and I'm not convinced it does, if start-jumpers are routinely punished), I'm happy to waive that proposal. But the other two I listed are very important.

Mark, it IS legal to jump the start in SCCA as long as you're still in line before the green flag flies. That is the huge difference between SCCA starts and GrandAm Starts. If I can hit the gas 1 second before the field, I can probably pass a few cars before the S/F. See video in other thread.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Bruce, I may have bad news:
J3:
A car that improves its position relative to the field during the
pace lap by moving forward, moving out of line, or passing
before the green flag is displayed may be penalized for a false
start.

I believe nailing the gas early would be a "moving forward".

The starter is looking for a field moving at a "constant slow speed" if you nail it before the green, and he throws the green and makes a note of you, you could be cooked.

--------------------

Gold Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In SM you aren't going to benefit (move forward) from the result of hitting the gas early until well after the green flag flies [Smile] I hate giving this stuff up and I know there's a lot of folks hating me right now for giving it away, but that's the way it is.

We're talking split second stuff here. It's real hard to be a half car length back and do this.

Frankly that is what we are discussing here. GrandAm doesn't allow that, probably because of torque difference of cars. I voted NO as it makes starts a lot of fun. But understand the poll for obvious reasons... other thread.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:
In SM you aren't going to benefit (move forward) from the result of hitting the gas early until well after the green flag flies [Smile] I hate giving this stuff up and I know there's a lot of folks hating me right now for giving it away, but that's the way it is.

We're talking split second stuff here. It's real hard to be a half car length back and do this.

Frankly that is what we are discussing here. GrandAm doesn't allow that, probably because of torque difference of cars. I voted NO as it makes starts a lot of fun. But understand the poll for obvious reasons... other thread.

-b

Flank speed astern! Rudder amidships! Blow all tanks! [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------

Unsafe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Team Saferacer

Region: Kansas City
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Unsafe     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Except that "nailing the gas" in a Miata does not make a speed difference that can be perceived by the naked eye.

Now if the field were actually crawling before the green, it might be evident.

edit: (oops, Bruce's post beat me to it....what he said!)

--------------------
Mike Asselta
http://www.saferacer.com

Veteran Member

Bruce, I was using "jumping the start" in the broader sense of what the white car was doing--getting out of line and moving forward into traffic, before the green flag.

I've noted the benefit you get when nailing it early, when you start from the back of the field.

Gold Member

quote:
Flank speed astern! Rudder amidships! Blow all tanks! [rolling on floor laughin]

I'm not a mariner, but that sounds like how you might pop a wheelie in a submarine [Big Grin]

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Gold Member

quote:
I've noted the benefit you get when nailing it early, when you start from the back of the field.

Not that I haven't tried to cheat and come blazing out of t12 full throttle, but I'm thinking the stewards might be on the radios saying wait for bruce to hit the back of the field and then throw the green... God knows I've been the source of their entertainment for years [fight]

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

They already know everything.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
God knows I've been the source of their entertainment for years [fight]

-bw

So they tell me. In words of reassurance like, "Don't feel too bad about going off in 6 like that. A few years ago Bruce went off there 3 times in a row." [Smile]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
One thing that nobody is willing to own up to in our class is that when the stewards do come down hard by enforcing the letter of the GCR..........everyone gets just as pissed off at the stewards. The GCR says "no contact" and yet we bump draft and get mad when we are called into the trailer for doing it and drivers start saying screw SCCA we are going to race NASA, PCA,etc.
Old thread that applies:
http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/43/4292.html#000001

In fact, the way they get so upset at consenting adults bump-drafting, while ignoring real problems, is why I find the whole mess so annoying.

The only way to get in trouble where I do most of my racing is to be caught bump-drafting, or to have your two left-hand wheels go off at turn 10. Neither causes nearly the issues caused by brain-dead drivers who seemingly don't have mirrors (or, indeed, eyes), and yet, time and again, brain-dead old drivers seem to be protected, despite causing carnage, while people who bump-draft or put two wheels off at T10 are nailed.

If I lived where it didn't rain so much, I'd switch to open-wheel racing, where people really try to avoid contact, and take that out of the hands of stewards.

Eric Richter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: So Cal
Car #: #29
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Richter     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In fact, the way they get so upset at consenting adults bump-drafting, while ignoring real problems, is why I find the whole mess so annoying.

+1

--------------------
2009 SoCal SCCA SM Champion
"Only boring people get bored"

Gold Member

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
[QBSo they tell me. In words of reassurance like, "Don't feel too bad about going off in 6 like that. A few years ago Bruce went off there 3 times in a row." [Smile] [/QB]

[rolling on floor laughin] [blush] [rolling on floor laughin]

Ah yes, 3 laps in a row. The only time I've ever had a furled black pointed at me. Jeez I hoped nobody would remember that one...

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If I've learned anything over the years, it's that there is no for force in the universe as powerful as your friends' memory of every embarrassing moment you've ever had. [Wink]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
[QBSo they tell me. In words of reassurance like, "Don't feel too bad about going off in 6 like that. A few years ago Bruce went off there 3 times in a row." [Smile]

[rolling on floor laughin] [blush] [rolling on floor laughin]

Ah yes, 3 laps in a row. The only time I've ever had a furled black pointed at me. Jeez I hoped nobody would remember that one...

-bw [/QB]

I've had that one, but it was for multiple 2 offs per lap. I was angry because I kept slipping in someone's fluid in the bus stop, then felt a little sheepish after I discovered a big mess under my car's hindquarters. [fight]

--------------------

Tom Sager Made Donation to Website

Region: Chicago
Car #: 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Sager     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Having had some experience with Gtrand Am style starts, I don't like their rule. I believe it will actually increase contact at the start. As drivers accelerate on green and can't move left or right, it causes a lot of front to rear contact and often in a chain reaction. I also think it increases the congestion at the start and into turn 1.

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm all for enforcing the rules relating to starts as they exist. At the '08 NASA Nationals I was penalized several positions for being out of line (by more than a half a car width) - with no position gain. That taught me a lesson that I think of with every start.
As my mother in law used to say, "If you don't listen, you have to feel".
Rick
P.S. Regarding the bump drafting hysteria. SCCA. please wake up and allow it (officially).

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Ramjet 8 Verified Driver

Region: MWD
Car #: 91
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ramjet 8     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH NO Changes

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: